WineBoard
When Two Stags Leap - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: When Two Stags Leap (/thread-5288.html)

- Van The Man - 03-22-1999

I guess this technically can go in the Rhone section as well, but to keep it simple, I'll post it here alone....

One of our dear friends invited us over for dinner last night. Dinner was a wood grilled rack of venison which was marinated for a few hours in some balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mint, garlic and other herbs. It was wonderful. And since DeeDee and I were charged with bringing the wine, we went to the cellar to pull two appropriate bottles.

1991 Stag's Leap Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon; Napa Valley (CA, US) - $16.00

Ruby color, off bright, so-so clarity and looking about right for a 7 + year old wine. Big, full, luscious nose packed with sweet cherry, cedar, tar, tea, black olive some sandalwood, a touch of truffles and just a tiny little squeeze of citrus zest. On the palate, big, packed and scrumptiously sweet, smooth fruit with a terrific balance. This wine got oohs and aahs around the table. The tar was more pronounced on the palate than in the nose to the point where I started thinking this could be a Pauillac. Fantastic structure and packing suggests this wine has another 5 to 10 years of life, easy. Excellent wine and I can't believe looking back I only paid $16.00 for this!

1992 Stags' Leap Petite Syrah; Napa Valley; (CA, US) - $20.00

Rich, dark and youthful in appearance with defined purple hues. Nose of cherry, violet, sweet blueberry candy and spice. On the palate, still young with big, rich full flavors in a wine that is still too tight and needs time. Enjoyable and delicious, but still a bit young, brawny and uncomplicated at this point. Try this one in another 2 to 4 years. And yes, it appears that Stags' Leap spells "sirah" incorrectly on the label. A wonderful evening of food and wine. Both wines went well with the meal but the '91 Stag's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon was just outstanding both in quality and with it's ability to match well with the food.

- Bucko - 03-22-1999

Are you trying to take over Marshall's pun king title?

Stags' Leap Petite has long been a favorite of mine. I have them back to 1977, which is ready to drink, BTW.

Bucko

- Jerry D Mead - 03-22-1999

Van...I'm a little confused on your "Stags." Re the Cabernet you have the apostrophe before the "s" which indicates Stag's Leap Wine Cellars (Warren Winiarski's property).

Stags' Leap Winery (the Pet producer with the apostrophe after the "s") is clearly the property now owned by Beringer.

I don't think anyone uses the handle "Vineyard." I'm guessing you had the apostrophe in the right place and it is Winiarski's Cab to which you refer.

Does anyone understand what I just said/asked?

JDM

- Van The Man - 03-22-1999

>>Does anyone understand what I just said/asked?<<

I do Jerry and that was a good catch. I just missed it when I posted the note...

The '91 Cab was indeed from Warren Winiarski's property and the Petite was from the property now owned by Beringer.

The mistake was made in my transcription from my inventory sheet to the TN.

Good catch! :-)