WineBoard
Re: sweet fruity wine to relax..... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Re: sweet fruity wine to relax..... (/thread-528.html)

- mom_needs2relax - 03-20-2006

Hi I'm new but I found your site very intresting! I've tried several wines and fI havent found the right one yet! I'm looking for a wine to drive after diner to relax before bed or just to hangout with the girls and drink while playing cards. I want a sweet,fruity wine. I'd like to keep it cheap but I'd really like to find a wine that doesnt leave a bad, tarty taste in my mouth, but one I wouldnt want to put down. U know what I mean!!!!!!! Thank You your site is awesome!!!!!!!!

- wondersofwine - 03-20-2006

For whites look for a German Riesling Spatlese (Auslese might be sweeter but also more expensive) or an Italian Moscati d'Asti. Australian Muscat or Tawny Port is another option and a good bargain. These suggestions run from $10 to $20+. For red wines you might try Lambrusco, a sweet red wine from Italy that has some bubbles. Reunite is the most widely distributed brand but you may find others that are better. You might like a fruity red wine that is technically a dry wine (not sweet) but that because of the fruitiness almost tastes sweet. Some that you might try are Beaujolais-Village or a basic Spanish Rioja (from Tempranillo grape). Let us know if you try any of these and like them. A manager in a wine shop can also advise you where you might have more selections than in a supermarket.

- Innkeeper - 03-20-2006

Hi Mom and welcome to the Wine Board. One of my favorite after dinner wines is Mas Amiel Maury. It is a red dessert wine from Maury a district in Southwestern France.

- newtoowine - 03-20-2006

Columbia winery riesling. This seems to be the favorite for my wife and her friends. We actually took a couple of bottles with us this weekend and I had to go back home and grab 2 more. The crowd was all novice wine drinkers but they all like the strong fruit flavor of this wine.

- stevebody - 03-22-2006

The Columbia Gewurztraminer is also nice and offers some very different flavors from the Reilsing. If you have access to Oregon wines, try an Airlie Muller-Thurgau, SineAnne Pinot Gris, or the Erath Pinot Gris.

For a real indulgence, try the Marcel Diess Muscat d'Alsace. There are also some very pleasing domestic Muscats available. Eberle winery makes a Muscat Canneli that's lovely, light and vibrant. Powers Winery of Washington makes a good one, too. Both still wines and not sparkling. Careful with the Moscatos d'Asti. A lot of them are icky sweet. If you get hold of a good one, it's going to light you right up. One very good one that's widely available is the Michele Chiarlo "Nivole", a very clean, refreshing, low-alcohol wine that comes in a 375. It's about the same alcohol as a beer, so you can drink the whole bottle and not feel either guilty or hammered.

[This message has been edited by stevebody (edited 03-22-2006).]

- lovedacheese - 03-22-2006

I know what you mean about that after taste. If you don't have one already, buy yourself a decanter, a nice big one. Let your reds breathe for a while before enjoying them. It knocks off the sharpness. Enjoy!