WineBoard
Anyone tried the '97 Sebastiani Sonoma? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Anyone tried the '97 Sebastiani Sonoma? (/thread-5235.html)

- Cellar2small - 06-24-2001

I was wondering if anyone's tried the '97 Sebastiani Sonoma Cask Cab? I've had a bottle - nice, very fruity mid-palate, but the tannins weighed in heavily (for me) and stomped on the finish. WS gave it a 90.

I'm tempted to load up on this one, as it seems to be a great P/Q ratio wine at $16 or so, and should make a great wine if the tannins resolve. So, what gives out there in the great cyber-tasting room?

C2S

[This message has been edited by Cellar2small (edited 06-24-2001).]

- winoweenie - 06-25-2001

Hi C2S. This wine needs at least 5-7 yars of serious cellaring. Agree on the P/Q .Should make a nice wine. WW

- winecollector - 06-25-2001

I had it also about two months ago, and was impressed with it for the money. It has a home in my cellar.

- RAD - 06-26-2001

I too had some about a month and a half ago. Picked up a bottle, tried it, and liked it. Went back to pick up more, and it's gone.

RAD

- winoweenie - 06-30-2001

" You Snooze, You Lose! " An Okie Proverb. WW

- Stealthman - 07-01-2001

Keep looking, I'm sure you'll stumble onto more, it's still readily available here in the Sacramento area and I fully agree, excellent juice for the $.

- newsguy - 10-25-2001

i've picked up three bottles of this over the past few months and finally popped one last night to go with a ribeye and shrimp on the grill (my idea of surf 'n turf).

i was VERY impressed with this wine. deep blackish, purple -- nearly opaque. classic cab nose and taste, with VERY big fruit midpalate. a thick, almost juicy wine, with layered tastes and a nice finish. there are plenty of tannins here, but i found them to be very soft and they didn't seem to cut off the tastebuds much at all. WS made it a spectator selection and gave it a 90. i'd say more like a 91, especially when considering P/Q.

i think the store has 3 or 4 more bottles of this, and i plan on buying them. can't wait to see what the flavors in this wine develop into in 2-3 years.

- winecollector - 10-27-2001

If anyone is interested, e-mail me and I will let you know where you can pick up a case of this for $199, and that includes the shipping! Only since I like you guys.....

- newsguy - 05-02-2002

revisiting some wines that i haven't had for a while, and decided to pop a bottle of this to go with a grilled, aged N.Y. strip last night. after letting the wine breath for an hour, took a deep sniff and got a nice nose of mocha, blueberry, sweet oak, plums and cassis. taste of plums, cassis, blueberry and mocha that built on the 30 second+ finish. nice mouthfeel and enough soft tannins to carry this one quite a while. a complex, tasty wine. you can enjoy it now, but make sure to hold a few. and i've still got 13 bottles :-)

- elloco - 05-17-2002

FULL BODIED!!! Age it!

[This message has been edited by elloco (edited 05-18-2002).]

- Innkeeper - 05-18-2002

Hi Elloco, and welcome to the Wine Board. Full body doth not a ager make, in an of itself. Tightly wound is an indicator that mandates further aging. The zins you just posted are full bodied, but as you rightly state, they are drinking now.

- newsguy - 09-03-2003

had another bottle of this last night with an aged, spice rubbed sirloin, and my notes mirror those from a year and a half ago (see above). only difference is that tannins have receded a good bit, and there's less acidity (not soft, but on the way there). plus, i only let breath for 30 minutes now.

i have 9 bottles left and will be drinking one about every 2 months until they're gone. i would say it's nearly time to drink 'em if you got 'em.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 09-03-2003).]

- winoweenie - 09-03-2003

Rite on there NG. Found the bottle to be derned near at the top of its' game. WW