WineBoard
Four wines compared with same dish - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Four wines compared with same dish (/thread-521.html)

- winecollector - 05-24-2000

I had my buddies seafood alfredo again this past weekend, and we had a different wine with it again. This time, it was a 1995 Pouilly-Fuisse from George Duboeuf, a white burgundy. It went well with the meal, though the seafood alfredo was not as good as usual. He had to add sour cream instead of half & half to the white sauce, and it did not turn out as rich. Still though, this is the fourth different wine we've had with this dinner, and I thought you guys might be interested to know how they stacked up against each other.

1. A 1994 Grunner Veltliner from Austria took this spot as champion thus far. The balance of the wine, as well as the richness of the meal complemented each other perfectly!

2. George Duboeuf's 1995 Pouilly-Fuisse came in second. The wine was very enjoyable and had a lot of concentration to it. I think it would have went better if the white sauce would have been as rich as it usually is with the half & half added to it. Then it might have bumped the Gruner Veltliner out of first.

3. The Schmitt Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Riesling that many of you enjoy placed here. We started drinking the wine just prior to serving the food, and it ended up being more enjoyably without the food than with. Not that it was a bad match, it just didn't fit the meal as well as the first two wines. Sorry Mr Gluckstern, nothing personal!

4. 1998 Gewurztraminer from Alsace took up the last spot. The gewurztraminer was just too much on the sweet side to effectively pair well with the food. It had the umph, but not the taste to go with this dish. Once again, it was better before the meal without the food, just like the Riesling was.

Over the next several weeks or months when my buddy makes this dish again, I intend to continue to pull a different white wine out of the cellar each time, just for the fun of it! Coming up, will be an 89' Chardonnay from Italy, a 90 white Burgundy from Macon-vire, a 90' Sauvignon Banc from Argentina, and some funny looking style of a white Rioja(?) from Spain from 1991. This give me a great excuse to open up a lot of these wines that I don't normally drink, unless I have the right food to go with them! When that happens, I'll update you guys on how well they paired.

- Thomas - 05-24-2000

That is agreat way to explore food and wine combos. I have found that many Chardonnay-based wines go rather well with half & half cream sauces--and the Pouilly is Chardonnay, or it should be. But an '89 Italian Chardonnay--I'd be surprised if that comes out on top!

- hotwine - 05-24-2000

Here's one to look for that should go very well with that menu: it's Deerfield Ranch Sauvignon Blanc '97 or '98, about $15 locally. It's in very short supply - only 385 cases made of the '97. But it has the body and restrained fruit to handle the creamed sauce and not bite you back, like a highly acidic wine would do. We don't drink it often at that price, but for a creamed chicken dish, such as fettuccini alfredo, it works very well. Deerfield Ranch is on Highway 12 between Kenwood and Glen Ellen CA, so if you can't find a Deerfield you might look for another SB from the Kenwood/Glen Ellen area.