WineBoard
Simi Alex. Valley 2001 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Simi Alex. Valley 2001 (/thread-5204.html)

- amw5g - 03-07-2004

Picked this up on the suggestion of WW at yesterday's wine pilgrimage. Deep red/purple color. Bouquet of raspberries and cherries. The taste is slightly acidic with a liquorice finish. Firm, but not abrasive tannins. As the bottle wore on, I got a dominant taste of oak/vanilla.

The oddest thing about this wine was how unremarkable the taste was, as if something were waiting in the wings, but hadn't really come out. Perhaps the proper term for this is "closed" or "dumb", but I'm not quite certain enough to throw that out, yet. The tannins give me the impression that the wine would peak after no more 3 or 4 years, so perhaps it's just on the young side right now.

Not an unpleasant or wimpy wine, just felt constrained. $15.50/btl

For those of you keeping score at home, we also picked up a 2001 Le Nonce CdP and a 2000 Hayman & Hills Meritage.

-Andrew

[This message has been edited by amw5g (edited 03-07-2004).]

[This message has been edited by amw5g (edited 03-07-2004).]

- wondersofwine - 03-07-2004

I believe I have either the 1999 or 2001 vintage of this on hand. I tried the 2001 Simi Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve at a "barrel tasting" (before release) last spring and really liked it. It seemed to me less tannic than many of the other 2001 California Cabernet Sauvignons. Still, they may need a few years to smooth out. WW drinks a lot of his C.S. wines at 10 years of age. It might be worth getting a couple more bottles and trying them in 2008 or 2010. I don't think Simi is a producer that usually over "oaks" their wines so probably it needs a few more years to integrate the oak element. Since it seemed less tannic than some other 2001 C.S. from Napa, I would probably try again in 2006 or 2008 and if not ready, hold off on others until 2010.

- winoweenie - 03-07-2004

WOW has given you excellent advice. This wine needs another 3-6 years. WW

- winoweenie - 12-02-2008

Opened this lovely today for lunch and it is coming on like the proverbial 5:30 to Knoxville. Definately from the same cloak as the lovely 99 and still has latent tannins that will carry it another 2-4. Solid entry, weighty center and a 4+ lapper finish. The black and red fuits are still dominate but the secondarys are startin to come on. Love this vineyard. 92/93 19+ by the box. 13.5% alc. WW

- winoweenie - 03-03-2009

Had this and the 2001 Phelps Napa at the club for lunch yesterday. Both of these wines are beginning to fly some serious colors. Drank the phelps first and all 3 of us remarked about the brite deep ruby/blue color, Nose was powerful and this best describes the taste. All Napa, all cabernet, all tasty. The Simi was slightly lighter but still deep ruby. Nose has expanded and the whole wine has fleshed out beautifully. Finish a solid 4+ lapper on both. Both still 1-3 years from peaking but both have brite futures. No change in scoring. WW