WineBoard
Recomendation for Cab - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Recomendation for Cab (/thread-5163.html)

Pages: 1 2

- SirOscar15 - 01-27-2006

Any recomendations for a Cab for around $85-100?

I like Cakebread and Caymus, but need a change.

- Glass_A_Day - 01-28-2006

Oscar,

Two easy to find bottles in that price range are Viader and Etude. Both are consistant winners.

- winoweenie - 01-28-2006

Seems you asked the same question and received several answers on another thread days ago. Weren't you satisfied with the answers or are you trying to impress someone with your Jordan and Cakebread experiences? Can assure you many of us on this board have drunk them dudes and many others. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 01-28-2006).]

- robr - 01-28-2006

Best cab I ever had was from Rutherford Hill. Maybe not expensive enough for you, but you might give it a try.

- SirOscar15 - 02-01-2006

WW-

I was just asking for Valentines Day, and I also realized that there was a thread just for Cab's. And im not trying to impress anyone on this site. Dont be jealous that you have to save a year to buy a bottle of Jordan!

SirOscar.

Thanks Bern. That will be my next bottle. Any suggestions on vintage?

- Kcwhippet - 02-01-2006

If WW saved for a year he could buy the winery, not just a bottle.

- robr - 02-01-2006

SirOscar,

Rutherford Hill is a superb cab in just about every vintage, but I only use the general vintage charts for areas, like Napa, to find the better years. I believe 2001 is the best recent vintage; also 2002 was good, but may be a bit on the young side. In the older vintages 1997, 1995, and 1994 are very good, if you can find them.

The Weiner owns a carpet manufacturing company, so he can afford to drink what ever he wants. He was probably in a bad mood when he responded to your post. He's usually not like that... I am.

- Thomas - 02-01-2006

If I may speak for ww, who is out of town--he responded that way because he firmly believes, as do I, that there are far too many people who think price dictates quality.

There may be a thousand Cabernet Sauvignons on the market at below $30 that are fine wines, but to seek only those that are high priced might--not saying it does, but might--display a narrow-minded wine consumer. (That "jealous" comment gives the theory a little support.)

The other possibility for his post is that ww is trying to corner the market for high-priced wines...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 02-01-2006).]

I am new to this board and find it quite helpful, and the people are great and helpful also. But if my comment was narrow minded, then, WW's was not too far from it. And I really do not care what or how much WW is worth.

- TheEngineer - 02-02-2006

There are times when graceful recoveries just are not taken advantage of. Ultimately what is the use of being one up?

Glad you found this site useful and its folks knowledgeable.

- Thomas - 02-02-2006

Oscar,

Tell us a little more about the wines you consume, other than the two you already mentioned.

More important, to me, tell us what you learned on this bb. It helps those of us who post what we think we know about wine to discover whether or not we make any sense to others.

Incidentally, I'm one of those guys who thinks products like Cakebread and even Opus One are simply overpriced but they have done a great job at commanding the price.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 02-02-2006).]

- Bucko - 02-02-2006

I too find it strange you would ask for a price range instead of simply asking "What do you recommend in a nice Cab?"

Many of us here who have consumed wine for 20+ years are unimpressed by the price of the bottle -- we are only impressed by the contents, be it ten bucks or a hundred bucks.

- Triple H - 02-02-2006

Bravo Bucko! Wouldn't it also be nice if there was no such thing these silly point scales? Drink what you like! I too remember thinking that Beringer White Zin was fantastic, and at the time...it was!

[This message has been edited by Triple H (edited 02-02-2006).]

- Deputy - 02-02-2006

In defence of the "price point" question, I've found in my searches for wine, EVERYONE always asks "how much would you like to spend?"

Oscar has simply been "kind" enough to provide you with that information up front. Asking for a nice Cab, but not wanting to spend more than $8 is different than asking for a nice Cab and being willing to spend $100.

I don't think it's necessarily an issue of "showing off" or anything like that.

- robr - 02-02-2006

Well, hasn't this thread become interesting? IMHO, and I do mean humble, as I have never even tasted a bottle that cost over $50, any wine under $10 is probably going to be very pedestrian, and a good number over $10 will be too; but the likelihood of a really inspired wine costing less than $10 is very very slim, just as the likelihood of it being a great one increases as the price goes up.

What I means is, you are more likely to get a good one if you pays more for it. We all know that, just like we know what the term "top shelf" means.

I think Oscar was just looking for some "top shelf" recommendations.

- Triple H - 02-02-2006

Bern, your post just make me think of a great PQR Cab I just had.

2003 Avalon Cab - Napa Valley for $13. Nice flavor and a finish that goes way beyond $13.

- brappy - 02-02-2006

Posted by EngII
"There are times when graceful recoveries just are not taken advantage of. Ultimately what is the use of being one up?"

POETRY [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- robr - 02-02-2006

Triple H - Yes! Avalon is Wonderful stuff! Great cab for the price. Another one is Liberty School. It's about the same price.

- TheEngineer - 02-02-2006

Thanks Brappy!

Just gladd I didn't makee 1 of those typoing mistakes...then it would make no sense [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]