WineBoard
garlic - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: garlic (/thread-514.html)

- sedhed - 02-24-2004

Do any of you up north grow your own garlic. I'm very restructed on the types of garlic I can grow in my area; gardning zone 9.

- Innkeeper - 02-24-2004

Prefer cool climate varieties of garlic. We have a guy at our farmers market who offer a dozen different varieties. You might check with your regional extension agent for recommendations of zone 9 varieties.

- sedhed - 02-24-2004

I grown some down here but the best garlic seems to need a real winter. Usually planted in the fall and harvested in spring. I have tried various types suited for the south but the quality of these garlics don't seem to be worth the effort. I like very "hot" garlic like Romanian Red for my habanero chile.
I was just curous to see if we had some home gardners growing garlic
I ususally order from thegarlicstore.com.

[This message has been edited by sedhed (edited 02-24-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 02-24-2004

The Little Garlic Girl Farm:
Morrill, ME. Diversified certified organic farm. Major crops include a wide variety of gourmet garlics available as culinary or seed stock, gift bags available. Other major crops include multiple varieties of shallots, onions and leeks. We also specialize in heirloom tomatoes, several basils and a wide variety of traditional and specialty salad greens. Additionally, we grow a number of specially selected summer and fall vegetables, herbs and offer cut and dried flowers. Our crafts include uniquely decorated garlic braids and wreaths. Hay is also available from our certified organic fields. Tony & Terri Swebilius, 345 Weymouth Rd., Morrill, Maine 04952. 207-342-2723. Email: tmtmaine@acadia.net (F)

- sedhed - 02-24-2004

Thanks. I'll give then a look.

- Thomas - 02-24-2004

I grow garlic but it is problematic here too. We have a lot of clay in the soil--garlic hates wet feet. I work hard to get any. Last year got none--it rained all summer.

Usually grow the Italian type.

Sed, I also grow figs--but that is a whole 'nother story...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 02-24-2004).]

- sedhed - 02-24-2004

I have figs also; Turkey Bown Figs. They do fine here.
Do you grow your garlic in the ground? I tried some in a large pot with good drainage and did alright but I could only grow the soft neck variety. The green shoots are good to cook with even if you don't have good bulbs.

- Thomas - 02-25-2004

I grow the figs in a pot--wine barrels cut in half. Have to roll the trees indoors in winter; too harsh for them. The fig tree I have in the ground never gives me anything to eat, but it does give me cuttings for starting new trees. Right now, I have five trees (3 cuttings on the way).

As for garlic in a pot--never thought it was possible. Maybe I should try it.

I've cooked with garlic scapes (omelets , et al). Really good!

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 02-25-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 02-25-2004

I like to use the scapes in a baking dish with OO, to roast baby potatoes such as reds or Yukon Golds. They burn up, but impart a wonderful flavor.

- Kcwhippet - 02-25-2004

Growing garlic in pots is a great way to get garlic greens, but it's not very efficient for producing mature heads. I've grown garlic off and on for about 10 years here, and the best types are the hard necks. Foodie, you can improve your clay garlic patch dramatically by working in compost and greensand. That would provide the soil conditions and drainage you'd be looking for.

- Thomas - 02-25-2004

KC, I've been working in compost (no sand) for twenty years. This is the damnedest clay soil I have ever witnessed--molecules surround whatever compost goes in. Sand has to be just right--sharp like glass--or the clay forms with it to make concrete.

I have a neighbor who has been working her soil for more than thirty years; she is convinced the clay multiplies each evening...

Throughout the growing season (when we have one unlike last year) I work that soil and hoe it and raise my eyes to the heavens and chant for it...doesn't work either!

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 02-25-2004).]

- Kcwhippet - 02-25-2004

Try the greensand. I get mine from Agway or Gardeners Supply Company. Great for loosening up heavy clay soil.

- sedhed - 02-25-2004

This is why I order the hard neck garlic. I have no problems with the Habaneros. I start from seed and have grown them in the grown, in large pots and in earth boxes[earthbox.com] I can start them by the end of March and have them in about 100 days give or take.

- Thomas - 02-26-2004

KC, Agway closed operations in NY State a few years ago, but my wife claims to have a source for green sand. She says she has used it for tomatoes and it works in clay soil.

So, I will try your suggestion, if my wife can point me in the direction of a source.

- Kcwhippet - 02-26-2004

Foodie,

I gave you one - Gardeners Supply Company - www.gardeners.com.

- Thomas - 02-26-2004

I know. I'm told we have a local supplier--so I'll go there first. I always go local until they can't help me.

- tandkvd - 02-26-2004

I had never done any thing with real garlic until a few monts ago. Actualy I have never realy cooked until I started drinking wine. I now love to cook, when I have time. Usualy on the week ends. Making a good mael and having just the right wine with it is wonderfull. And my wife wants me to go on a diet!!

It's gotten to the point that my wife gets teritorial when it comes to the kitchen. She scrutinizes every spice I put in. I love garlic, and Emerials Essence. We never used to many spices before. The spices we had were bad. But now we use alot of spices, and keep garlic on hand all the time.

As for soil, we used to live in a house that was built in the 1930's. One family had lived there all but 2 years since the house was built. We bought the house in 1987. My wife was a stay at home mom then. She always kept a garden. The former owners had rich black soil brought in for the garden. We extended the garden and almost doubled it. The new part was all Carolina Red Clay. We had a very large pecan tree in the back yard, and every year I would rake the leaves onto the garden in the fall. In the spring I added lime and turned them over with the tiller. We lived there for 12 years and when we sold the house you couldn't tell which part was the old garden and which was the new.

We now live in a development with a small yard (less grass to cut) and last year I mad a small 6 x 12 ft raised garden. It did real good last year. This year we are wanting to plant more herbs.

- sedhed - 02-26-2004

you may want to look at those earth boxes if you're short on garden space.