WineBoard
New Premium Gallo Wine -- Marcelina Vineyards - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: New Premium Gallo Wine -- Marcelina Vineyards (/thread-5087.html)

- Bucko - 08-18-1999

1995 Marcelina Vineyards, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, $25, 18,758 six bottle cases, 2,000 3 liter etched bottles for the millenium. Blackberries and cherries predominate here with subtle American Oak peeking through. Nice balance. Tight as can be initially but it opened up nicely after 45 minutes to an hour. Very good value in today's crazy market. Better with a couple of years in bottle.

Bucko

- mrdutton - 01-05-2002

And two years later, I feel as if I've committed infanticide. 1997 Marcelina Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.

Blackberries, cherries, a hint of chocolate and the ever present American Oak shine through this tannic monster. I'm not sure I have the patience to allow this baby to sit for the next 45 minutes to hour, but it sure does need some breathing time. The finish on this one just about draws all the moisture out of my mouth! However there are hints of complexity just before the cotton ball attacks.

Person who sold it to me said this one was ready to drink now; that could not be further from the truth. This baby needs some time on the shelf; at least a few more years. Too bad this is my only bottle, cuz it could be a really nice drinker in 2005 or so. Maybe I should go get a few more bottles and just let them lay around........

If I can let it sit for a while, I'll report back; we'll see if it opens up any. Excuse me while I leave the keyboard and go find the decanter..........

- mrdutton - 01-05-2002

A bit later and the fruit is still there as are hints of chocolate and the oak. A better mouthfeel and the better nuances of complexity on the much smoother finish.

However there is still plenty of tannin but certainly not as intense.

I still believe I committed infanticide, but this baby is drinking much better now than it did when first opened.

Gallo gets more points from me. They are really producing some very nice wines these days!!

- Bucko - 01-05-2002

They obviously have the bucks to do it. But it takes dedication as well. They really want their Sonoma wines to suceed.

- mrdutton - 01-05-2002

Sonoma? I am sure this baby was Napa Valley...... Or did I miss something in the translation?

- Botafogo - 01-06-2002

But no amount of good wines will ever make up for their predatory, mercenary and downright nasty behavior over many decades. Buy a copy of "Blood and Wine", by the time you read the first fifty pages you will want to off the surviving brother yourself. Give your money to nice people who make good wine, there are plenty of them......but that's just me.

Roberto

- Bucko - 01-06-2002

The limitations of printed words..... not referring to the Marcelina (Napa Valley), but to Gallo in general. Sorry. I was thinking how bad they want the Gallo of Sonoma wines to work. And Roberto is right, they have fiercely defended their name, even against their own brother, which even I found appalling. But, a new generation has the reins, and I have not heard any bad revelations thus far.

- Botafogo - 01-06-2002

Try being the largest single contributor to BOTH political parties....that is enough right their for me to refuse to line their coffers with one more shekel.

Bucko, remember the Old Testament says

"Yeah, I am a vengefull and righteous God and the sins of the fathers shall be visited upon the sons (or daughters in this case, ed.)...yeah, even unto seven generations"

Those kids have six to go. Boy, I REALLY need that vacation, Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 01-06-2002).]