WineBoard
J. Lohr Seven Oaks Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon (year??) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: J. Lohr Seven Oaks Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon (year??) (/thread-5083.html)

- Deputy - 02-05-2006

I ordered this with my steak tonight at the ever pleasant steakhouse, The Keg. I originally ordered a Malbec but they were out, and this was $11.50 CAD a glass, so I had big expectations and high hopes.

I was very disappointed. Now, I should preface this with the fact that I am new to wine generally and may not have developed a taste for a strong Cab yet. It might be why I didn't like the Rocca delle Macie Chianti on the other thread.

The wine was a nice garnet colour. Aromas were very alcoholic and oaky. Taste was overpoweringly alcoholic, oaky, and tannic. If there's a good wine in there, I wasn't able to find it. Perhaps it's just young and closed, or maybe that's what it's supposed to taste like, but it was anything but smooth.

Not good.

Personal taste would give it a 75, tops.

- brappy - 02-06-2006

Just so I don't have to find the conversion, can you tell me how many american $ that is? The price seems high, even for a restaurant.

- TheEngineer - 02-06-2006

It's about $10.12 USd or about what an entire bottle of J Lohr goes for in the US.

- Deputy - 02-06-2006

Most restaurants here tend to sell a glass of wine for a few dollars less than a bottle would cost in the store.

It makes me ill, to be honest.

- Innkeeper - 02-06-2006

We find it to be a very serviceable $10 Cab. Your bottle may have been open too long.

- Glass_A_Day - 02-06-2006

They are known for being a bit on the oaky side but agree with IK that it is usually decent and was probably open too long.

[This message has been edited by Glass_A_Day (edited 02-06-2006).]

- robr - 02-06-2006

Too bad you got a bad one. This is one of my all time favorite PQ cabs. Also, I did not find the bottles I have had to be overoaked, either.

- brappy - 02-06-2006

Thanks ENG. So it is a bit high. I fully understand a higher mark-up for a restaurant on wine, but that mark-up is a bit insulting. Of course, I'm assuming thier cost on the bottle would be the same as in the US. I could be wrong.......most likely am wrong.

mark

- Deputy - 02-06-2006

Yeah, you're a bit wrong, at least.

Our taxes on liquor are fairly high here. I'd guess that that bottle probably sells for about $15 CAD here.

And honestly, I'm not sure if it was a bad bottle. I'm going to ask for a recommendation for a good oaky Cab from the wine steward at our local store and compare.

What does PQ mean, bern?

- brappy - 02-06-2006

Ok, thanks and PQ = price/quality
Ie: Good PQ = good price per quality of wine...etc.

- Deputy - 02-07-2006

Thanks for clarifying. Odds seem to be that I might just not like it very much.

From what I've had so far, it seems I just like pansy wines that may even be a bit sweet.

Too many years of drinking pop, I guess.

- brappy - 02-07-2006

Deputy, Try some Aussie Shiraz. Your last statement about "Pop" made me think that may be the best avenue. Some suggestions under $15 would be Paringa, Buckley's, Leng's and Cooter's "the Victor", Marquis-Phillips "Sarah's blend", etc..... People have accused Robert Parker of liking Aussie Shiraz because while growing up, he drank pop all the time.

mark

- Deputy - 02-07-2006

Thanks Brap, I'll take a look, for sure.

I've honestly been resistant to the "idea" of Aussie Shiraz for a bit because of the way it's sort of become "le vin du jour". Admittedly, this doesn't make sense, as I have such limited experience that I shouldn't close my mind to anything.

In any event, I'll try it.

Oh, and for the record, I checked the liquor store today and the 7 Oaks goes for $22.99, or so the price tag said. Then again, I'm not sure if the tag was for the same vintage, but that's what it said.