WineBoard
Finger foods with Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy ? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Finger foods with Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy ? (/thread-506.html)

- Gwendriel - 09-05-2002

Hello,
I am new here and I've read a few of the threads, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people ! So here is my question:
do you have, off the top of your heads, any suggestions for finger foods that enhance Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy wines (besides cheese) ? My friends and I are doing a tasting on that theme this Friday, and since we want to be able to drive home we need to eat as well as drink Wink
I have a 1997 Willamette Valley Saxon Brown Pinot Noir and a 1998 Chorey les Beaunes (Tollot-Beaut).
Thanks !

- Thomas - 09-05-2002

Can you get your hands on some salmon finger foods? If so, do so. And also a wine sauced beef should be good.

- Gwendriel - 09-05-2002

Smoked or fresh salmon ? Thanks

- Botafogo - 09-05-2002

Innards, offal, organ meats, shad row, bone marrow, lard (really, Lardo di Collonata if you can get it). Great pinot wears its funk like a badge of honor and vegans need not apply!

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 09-05-2002).]

- Thomas - 09-05-2002

Roberto, where do you get shad roe at this time of year? Send it to me in dry ice!

- Botafogo - 09-05-2002

I was speaking theoretically, just trying to get folks to get into the spirit of things...I was inspired by the article in the New Yorker about Shad Roe and even Shad Milt (the MALE reproductory resivoirs) which has some fabulous writing:

"The word for it is not 'semen' but 'savory'...if you had your choice between shad semen and a pink icinged Pop-Tart, which would you take? Which would you take among a shad's semen, a calf's brain, a chicken's liver and the inside of an ox femur? You just can't sit there eating Ferdinand's tounge and talk that way about shad milt, so cut it out!"

Throw the meat to the dogs, give me the innards, damn, I need to go to the Gaucho Grill and get some sweetbreads! Roberto

Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 09-05-2002).]

- Gwendriel - 09-09-2002

Hi all,
Thank you very much for all your suggestions. I thought I'd provide some feedback, in case you were interested. One thing that went really well with the Pinot Noirs was anything peppery (someone had brought pastrami, and I had brought a herbed and peppered goat cheese), which was a surprise to me.
Both wines (the Chorey-les-Beaune and the Willamette Valley Saxon Brown) were really good, although very different. I am not so good at describing aromas, but the Saxon Brown in particular was stunning (for the price I paid) I think: so light in color that we expected something really watery, yet very intense aormas of licorice and anis, and really smooth and round. K&L (online) has it on clearance sale for less than $20 these days (that's where I got it).
Thanks again !

- wondersofwine - 09-09-2002

After the fact, but next go round you might add large mushroom caps stuffed with crabmeat mix (this would also go with some chardonnays) or sweet and sour pork cubes on fancy toothpicks or miniskewers with pork, onion, green bell pepper chunks, etc. (If you add pineapple chunks to the pork skewers, you might be into white wines as an accompaniment). As you surmised, cheese can also be a good pairing with pinot noir.

- Bucko - 09-09-2002

I never liked fingers myself, especially with wine........

- winedope1 - 09-09-2002

come on now, Bucko ! A nice clean thumb or two? We have a good supply here , courtesy of the local Mafia dudes...

- Thomas - 09-10-2002

Roberto, I read that article--McPhee wasn't it? Funny stuff it was. Think of the words to a Cole Porter song--"..some say that shad do it I know; waiter bring me shad roe..."

- Bucko - 09-10-2002

Careful, Winedope, Foodie is a retired hit man you know........

- winedope1 - 09-12-2002

the operative word being retired. : )

- Thomas - 09-13-2002

I was a hit or miss man, and mostly missed, hence: retired.