WineBoard
97 Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cepages - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 97 Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cepages (/thread-4993.html)

Pages: 1 2

- winoweenie - 02-12-2001

Raggity, LONG,LONG, LONG Gone. This wine was 95% sold Before the WS article annoited it. It has been sought after showing so well with the 94 vintage. If you have a case, then I assure you you're position is stronger than most wine-ies. Look to 2005 before cracking a cork. WW

- raggedy1 - 02-12-2001

I actually had two cases but my brother-in-law wanted a case so now I have just the one. I haven't tried one yet. I'll take your advice and wait before popping one. Brother-in-Law tasted this one over a Justin wine tasting dinner and said it is fantastic! Keeping my fingers crossed....

- winoweenie - 02-13-2001

You don`t have to pray for this lil' number. I take it you're talking a case as a case of 6 as they were packaged. WW

- raggedy1 - 02-13-2001

actually, I'm talking 12 bottles. I found 24 bottles at a gourmet grocery store that has a huge wine inventory at $37.99 minus 10% for the quantity purchase. I had only purchased one bottle of the 96 it was recommended to me and I have yet to try that one....

- RAD - 02-15-2001

Raggedy, if you ever want to unload some of that 97 Isoceles, name your price, you've got a buyer right here.

I was buying this great wine here in NYC before the WS 95 rating hit the stands, and then it simply vanished.

Now when I need a fix I go to Sparks Steak House here in NYC and order a bottle with dinner (about $58). Waiter sez they've got 20-30 cases. Tried all manner of bribery to get my hands on one, to no avail.

RAD

PS -- Greetings all, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. I'm in China on business. Not much wine here. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/frown.gif[/img]

- raggedy1 - 02-15-2001

Hmmm, for the fantastic price (relative) of $58.00, can't you have dinner with a bottle of wine and then ask to buy at least 2 more? Heck, you can tell them you plan on drinking them and when they arrive at the table say you've changed your mind and you'll take the bottles with you (unopened of course).
That restaurant has a great price. Are all their wines priced as fairly?

- Innkeeper - 02-15-2001

The answer is yes. Best steak house in the Apple when you factor in the wine. The one thing I give our friends at WS credit for is picking good restaurants for their awards of excellence. Sparks has made it for years. Currently they carry the Grand Award of Excellence (3 wine glasses) and Award for Excellence in Dining. Here's the best part: "Wine prices Inexpensive."

- raggedy1 - 02-15-2001

With a relatively low (8000) production, I'm surprised one restaurant has that many cases left. The 98 Isoceles is available on the Justin website. What do you think? Don't know if it will be worth the price seeing that 98 seems to be a mediocre vintage....

- RAD - 02-16-2001

Raggedy, I wish I could do as you suggest. But apparently there are laws in NYC stating that you cannot take unopened bottles out the door. Believe me, I tried...

And yes, Sparks is reknowned for the depth and (relatively) good prices on its wine list.

RAD

- raggedy1 - 02-16-2001

My last topic (Cinq Cepages) finished with a thought on Justin Isoceles. Does anybody have any thoughts on the 1998 Isoceles? Justin is offering it on their website right now for $36.00....

- raggedy1 - 02-16-2001

Um, sorry, but I thought I was posting a 'new topic.' obviously not!

- chittychattykathy - 02-17-2001

I should know about the 98' within a few weeks, which may be too late to help you. I can tell you that I feel the 98' Justification was not even coming close to justifying it's price, IMHO of course. I still have some 97' Cing Cepages sitting around as no one seems very interested in it anymore, and for us it was the distributor that jacked the price, not us.

- raggedy1 - 02-18-2001

As 98 seems to be a weak vintage, I'll probably pass on the Isoceles and wait for the 99...