WineBoard
Remamendation on wine/food pairing book? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Remamendation on wine/food pairing book? (/thread-494.html)

- mattt9998 - 06-05-2006

Hello all,

I am young (26), and new to wine. Have only been drinking wine for a 2-3 years a few bottles a week. I am starting to be able to zero in on what types of wine I enjoy but still know nothing about wine and food pairing. Are there a few basic rules or guide lines that I can follow? Such as should I be trying to have the wine be similar in taste to the food or should the wine be the opposite to off set the flavors of the food? Is there a good book that someone can recommend?

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

- dananne - 06-05-2006

Look for one or both of Andrea Immer's books -- Great Wines Made Simple or Great Tastes Made Simple. Good info in there.

- Innkeeper - 06-06-2006

Dan's recommendations are spot on. The one area that falls outside my comfort zone is cheese and wine. So many cheeses, so many wines. In "Great Tastes" Andrea has a whole chapter on the subject with easy to follow matrixes on various styles and regions of cheeses.

- wondersofwine - 06-06-2006

"The Great Tastes Made Simple" is a very good book. Haven't seen this book yet but another on the topic is Fiona Beckett's "Food and Wine Pairing Made Simple."

- mattt9998 - 06-06-2006

Thank you all for the info. This is the best board on the net that I have seen, and I look forward to reading everyone future posts.

- wondersofwine - 06-06-2006

Thanks. We look forward to reading your posts as well.

- Thomas - 06-06-2006

mattt,

You missed my class at Fox Run, but I will be teaching a class at the new Wine and Culinary center in Canandaigua, starting in July.

Among the lessons in my six-week class are the things to think about when pairing wine with food, and the things in wine that you need to focus on to make the pairings shine.

Check out the center at nywcc.com

- mattt9998 - 06-06-2006

foodie I would concider that except I will be in 1000 islands for 10 days in the latter half of july. I would assume that the classes will have a winter session at some point then i would be more than happy to attend, assuming the cost is reasonable.

- Thomas - 06-07-2006

mattt,

I believe you can take individual classes out of the run of six, and yes, if all goes well this summer, it will be an ongoing class series. There are many other classes going on, including cooking classes hosted by some top name chefs.

We might even run a class to teach winery tasting room staff, some of which can't pronounce Cabernet Sauvignon...

The center is a fabulous place. I have high hopes for it. It includes a wine tasting bar that will rotate 20 NY wines each day and a museum--exhibit hall.

- mattt9998 - 06-07-2006

I will be sure to keep an eye on the currently blank web page for updates in the future. Summer is not a good time for me to take a class of any kind I have too many other things going on. Seems like something that would be much better suited and probally have better turn out in the fall.

- Thomas - 06-08-2006

mattt,

Their Web site is finally up, with a complete schedule of classes and events.

- wondersofwine - 06-12-2006

The kids' culinary classes sound fun. A good way to get children interested in preparing food. The wine education classes sound good too.