WineBoard
1999 Clos du Bois Marlstone - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 1999 Clos du Bois Marlstone (/thread-4925.html)

- winoweenie - 08-17-2007

The big bro to the Briarcrest I posted on yesterday, this is technically a Meritage. 54% Cabernet, 33% Merlot, and 13% Malbec. Brite medium ruby. Nose heavy on the black fruits mingled with sweet spice. The taste shows more red fruits than the nose and a flowery note comes thru on the center and lasts thru the finish. Soft, supple entry, weighty center and a lovely 4+ lapper finish. Still some soft tannins that needs another 2-4 to resolve. Beautifully balanced and blended this is a killer bottling. 91/90. 40 by the box. 14.2% alc. WW

- winoweenie - 04-20-2008

The oldest son of my neighbor Professor Bob came in from West Virgini and has had the dubious pleasure of sorting trhu 60 years of aaccumulation of an admitted pack-rat. I've kinda' mentored the whole family on upgrading their wine appreciation anf Jay always likes to spend an afternoon talking and drinking. He too is a professor and at present is doing research on tannins in soil.Interesting stuff. But back to the wines...We had both the Briarcrest and the Marlstone. Naturally the Marlstone showed better because of the Merlot and Franc. Later on the BC came on. Both are solid wines and went extremely well with the grilled NY strip sirloins. WW

- AxisOfBeagles - 04-25-2008

Marlstone is a favorite of ours. Too few blends coming out of Napa - so much focus on single varietal wines. Marlstone is so well balanced, great fruit, and approachable early but benefits from a few years in the cellar.

Question for you - if a winemaker doesn't choose to pay the fee and all a wine 'Meritage' - is it still a Meritage? Interesting conundrum.

- winoweenie - 04-25-2008

AoB as far as I'm concerned the winemaker can call it any thing he wants as long as the juice in the bottle has the credentials. Have been a fan of Joe Phelps Insignia since the 1st release. Generations, Tapestry, Cinq Cepage, Alluvium, Trilogy, CE2V, Elevage, Moffitt, Quinto de Pedras, Affinity, and Profile are a few off the top of my head that have a fond place in my memory and cellar. And I loved Tom Dehlingers long-sice dropped Bordeaux Blend. Glad to have another "Blend" lover on board. WW

- AxisOfBeagles - 04-26-2008

Question about Insignia - I've not had it more than twice, so my knowledge is all heard or read rather than tasted. But didn't they originally source their grapes from the famous Milt Eisele vineyard - but lost that source after the purchase by the Araujo family?

Was there a noticeable change in the wine as a result?

- winoweenie - 04-26-2008

If my memory serves corretly the 1st vintage in 75 was from the Eisele vineyard then they started blending with other sourced and the best of their vineyards for this marvelous proprietary wine. Over the years since inception I can't think of another bottling that has produced more outstanding wines, with longevity and quality, than any other vineyard I know of in Napa and the wines have shown their pedigree in tasting after tasting. Looking back since 75,(which E Robert P once stated that if he was to be stranded on an island for the rest of his life and got his choice of one wine he would choose the 75 Insignia) I csn only personally think of one vintage that I considered average 15 above average and the rest either outstanding or classic. But that's just IMHO. WW

RE: 1999 Clos du Bois Marlstone - winoweenie - 05-01-2014

Found this bugger hiding behind some 4 liter boxes of Mad Dog 20/20.What a lovely piece of coconuts. Now if I had only bought at least 2 more boxes. " NON-BUYERS " remorse. WW