WineBoard
2003 Robert Mondavi - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 2003 Robert Mondavi (/thread-4883.html)

- robr - 09-18-2005

This is the regular bottle, marked "Private Reserve", priced here at $10. It's a good solid Cabernet, nothing very outstanding, but I found myself pouring just one more half glass, about 4 times! Lots of cherry and vanilla flavors, just the way I like it.

- Innkeeper - 09-18-2005

Not a bad drink at all.

- pdxrealtor - 11-25-2005

I just got back from the Mondavi vineyard in Nappa, and, we took a class there. They actually had a 94 cab that we compared to the 2003 cab. I liked the 2003 cab better my self. We were told it was released early due to them running out of the 2002.

Question... the 2003 you speak of with the "private reserve", where is the private reserve written? I bought several bottles in Nappa, and since have found them on my local store shelves, but none of them say private reserve on them and they all cost 20 dollars+.

- robr - 11-26-2005

It is a different bottling than the one you are describing. It's a $10 bottle, and says Private Reserve right on the label.

- pdxrealtor - 12-14-2005

Gotcha!

- winoweenie - 12-14-2005

Guess I'm confused. The only Mondavi Reserve I've had (and have been drinking since the 68 vintage) is sure as the devil not what you're talking about as it has been over 80 per clatter since 99. What Mondavi brand are you referring to, C.K., or the volume label from Big Bob? WW

- robr - 12-14-2005

Sorry, don't know what CK is, or what the volume label is either.

- wondersofwine - 12-15-2005

WW, I believe it's from Robert Mondavi but the "private reserve" is commercial (and deceptive) labeling because it is not really a reserve and not from their best vineyards. Just a basic wine. Whereas the Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve is quality wine from Oakville vineyards.

- Kcwhippet - 12-15-2005

Bern,

Don't let ww throw you. CK is short for Charles Krug, and they make wines under the CK Mondavi name because Robert Mondavi's brother, Peter, is the owner thereof. Also, that branch of the family pronounces the name the original way (Robert changed it when he split from the rest of the family). The pronunciation uses a long "a" like in hay. BTW, Robert Mondavi came from there since the family owns Charles Krug winery, but he had a falling out with the rest of the family and split, kind of like Sam Sebastiani when he left to found Viansa. It's a long and twisted story, but this is the semi-short version.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 12-15-2005).]

- robr - 12-15-2005

Yes, it is just their basic wine I originally posted about. Sorry if you all got worked up over nothing. It's just a good everyday wine, nothing special; I just happen to like it a lot, as I do all the Mondavi line (with the exception of Woodbridge).

BTW, can anyone tell me why the cabernets from Australia and South Africa are so bad? Maybe it's just me, but I have not found one I like yet.

- Kcwhippet - 12-15-2005

Have you tried Excelsior Cab Sauv?

- robr - 12-15-2005

Not yet. I like their Shiraz a lot, though!

- winoweenie - 12-16-2005

The reason I was confused is I haven't seen this around Phoenix yet. I was referring to Charles Krug and Woodbvridge in the earlier post. Another stupid decision by a bean-counter undoubtedly. WW