WineBoard
Wines for my Dinner Party - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Wines for my Dinner Party (/thread-484.html)

- Abzal in NJ - 03-20-2007

I'm hosting a dinner party in a couple of weeks and would love some tips on food and wine parings. It's a two course meal and I'd like to serve a white wine with the appetizer course and a red wine (or a bold white wine) with the entree.

The appetizer I'm serving is a savory carrot soup that will be infused with garlic. I would like to pair it with a white wine that is somewhat on the sweeter side -- unless you disagree. Any names would be very helpful.

The main course is braised chicken breasts with cloves of garlic. The chicken is seasonsed with congnac and white wine gravy. This will be served on a bed of wild rice with green beans on the side. Unless you disagree, I'd like to serve a red wine with it. Again, any recommendations will be very helpful.

Money is not really an object and but given that the party is for 10 people, I'd like to keep it reasonable. Nevertheless, this is a very important dinner party, so I'd like to have some wines of distinction.

Again, any help appreciated.

- wondersofwine - 03-20-2007

Welcome to the board.
Innkeeper (IK) usually responds to these questions so you may expect to hear from him also. On the appetizer for a somewhat sweet white wine you might consider a J.J.Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese or an Urziger Wurzgarten Spatlese. However, I was thinking a Chassagne-Montrachet might be nice with the carrot soup. I had a half bottle of a Jean-Marc Morey Chassagne-Montrachet "La Bergerie" with parsnip soup at a restaurant dinner in January and it was a great match. (Jean-Marc Morey's style is subtle oak--not overbearing-- so if you choose a white Burgundy, try to get one that will not overcome the food flavors with wood.) I'm not sure what to recommend for the chicken dish--with white wine sauce, a white wine or mild red seems most appropriate. Maybe a Beajolais Cru like Morgon or Moulin a Vent or a village Volnay or Gevrey-Chambertin. IK may be able to suggest some Italian white wines that would stand up to the garlic in the dish.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 03-20-2007).]

- Abzal in NJ - 03-20-2007

Thank you for your suggestions. I just spoke to someone at a notable win store here in Manhattan and mentioned your choices. He was very impressed with the selections. I look forward to the suggestions by the IK, but I'm already off to a great start! Once again, thanks. I know I'll have a lot of fun tasting all the suggested wines before the dinner party.

In my breif "research" of wine sites, I found this one to be the most helpful for those who are just "dipping their toes" into the world of wines. I look forward to using this site more often.

- Innkeeper - 03-20-2007

Surprise, surprise! Agree with WOW 100%.

- wondersofwine - 03-21-2007

Abzal, we hope you will check the board often and contribute your own notes. We'd like to hear what wines you serve at your party and what you and the guests think of them.