WineBoard
Giant Russian Sea Scallops! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Giant Russian Sea Scallops! (/thread-479.html)

- Deputy - 04-28-2006

Hey guys! I'm still alive (sorry I haven't been around, my school term just ended and I've kinda been off the wine while losing weight).

Anyhow, just about to run off for my first round of golf for the year, but figured, before I leave, I'd ask for some advice on dinner.

I have 4 3oz Russian Sea Scallops for her and I. They're huge and look delicious. I was thinking I'd grill them.

Any recommendations on preparation?

Also, a pairable wine? I was thinking maybe a Riesling, Spatlese, or Chard. I have no idea why, but those were just what I was thinking...

Thanks! I'll check back this evening before dinner (and I promise to be more active soon!)

- TheEngineer - 04-28-2006

hey..was just up your way there last week in Vanq....great weather...damn,....

4 oz huh? big..personnally I would do them in the pan...sear them and maybe a few minutes in a fast oven....maybe a quick sauce on it or onthe side and then a savenierre?? or a Sauvignon Blanc. or a Riesling (Kabinett).

- wdonovan - 04-28-2006

Or a dry rosé. Provencal or others. All of a sudden I see a few Italian rosés and more French than I saw last year. There's a thread in the pink wine forum that has some options. These wines go quite well with shellfish.

As for grilling, Go for it. Not very often you get scallops you can throw on a grill. I'd soak them in a little sugared brine first. That will introduce sugar to the surface that can caramellize when seared very hot. This will sear the ends and keep the juice in. Same principle as when you smoke meat. Maybe someone here can pipe in with a basic brine recipe. I might be tempted to add a little honey to some lime juice to accomplish the same thing.

- Innkeeper - 04-28-2006

I agree with the SB recommendation. I've been more enthusiastic about the ones from South Africa vice New Zealand lately.

- Deputy - 04-28-2006

Thanks for the recommendations - I stupidly forgot to mention what I had on hand (still a couple of hours before they cook, so hopefully time for something to chill):

Wollsteiner Rheingrafenstein Spatlese
Calona Vineyards (BC) Gewurz
Albarino Burgans (Spanish)
Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio (Ital)
Carmen Chard
Hardy's Nottage Hill Chard

Pretty inexpensive stuff, but hopefully something will match up...

Boy, it was a rough round on the course today, but SO worth it.

- Innkeeper - 04-29-2006

It is probably too late, but we would have gone with the Albarino.

- Deputy - 04-29-2006

It is too late, but thanks - I'll remember for next time.

I ended up going with the Spatlese. It was actually really nice, although the sweetness may have slightly overpowered the scallops. Hard to tell. The wine went really nicely with the salad (a mustard/oil/balsamic vinaigrette).