WineBoard
'99 Galante Rancho Galante - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: '99 Galante Rancho Galante (/thread-4729.html)

- Innkeeper - 06-20-2006

1999 Galante, Rancho Galante, Cabernet Sauvignon, Carmel Valley ($20 Taste of Monterey). Alcohol level: 12.5%!!!! Galante is located somewhere east of Carmel Valley Village in the same vicinity as the Santa Lucia Highlands. We picked this up a few years ago when out there. We had it at a very nice restaurant in a mall down in Carmel, and wanted more. Couldn't find the winery so we bought it at Taste of Monterey.

It is a Cab like they used to make in CA CA land. Gives you a blast of black fruit including black current (cassis) on the nose and upfront. Lovely complexity including plenty of Monterey dirt in the middle, and a really delightful finish.

We matched it with grilled rib eyes in Bearnaise Sauce, green beans almondine, and potato salad. Finished the wine out of 24oz stems. For dessert it was peach cobbler al la mode. Well, after all, it is Tuesday night!

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 06-20-2006).]

- cellophane flowers - 06-23-2006

Good to hear! I've got 2 bottles of 97 Red Rose Hill Cab from Galante. I look forward to popping the corks someday soon!

- Innkeeper - 06-23-2006

Thanks CP. Don't know where you are from, but if you are anywhere near Carmel, they have some of the '99 Rancho Galante on sale for $15 a bottle in their new tasting room there. I'm getting a half case directly from them.

- cellophane flowers - 06-23-2006

Nice InnKeeper! I'm just across the bridge from SF. Was a Taste of Monterey club member for a few years. Currently job searching so took a break. But whenever I'm in Monterey I visit the tasting room for a glass of wine and a cheese plate. No place finer to watch the ocean, seals and otters!

- Innkeeper - 08-05-2006

Opened the first bottle of the half case tonight and drank half a bottle with a charcoal grilled rib steak in yellow birch smoke. Had some nicely nuked summer squash with onion, EVOO, spices, and a little parmesean. Oh, and there was a baked potato too. Way to spend a Saturday night on a beautiful day in New Hampshire.

- Innkeeper - 08-07-2006

Other half tonight with sirloin tip teriyaki, pilaf, and salad. Great Monday night. Beautiful.

- Innkeeper - 09-04-2006

Opened another bottle tonight with grilled fillet steak in rasher, baked potatoes, and lovely sliced tomatoes in viniagrette. All splendiferous.

Had a hard time with the fire. Couldn't cover the grill Saturday night because it was too hot. By the time we got up yesterday it was pouring, so the grill got soaked. Used the last of my charcoal, and it took forever to get fully lit, because it was drying out the grill at the same time. I had cleaned it out, but it was still soggy. So, we had a very late dinner. It was worth it.

Happy Labor Day everybody.

- Innkeeper - 09-06-2006

Other half tonight, with very little loss over the last two days. The half bottle works.

Matched it with just about the most perferly cook burgers ever. Grilled them over charcoal and mesquite chips on the the teflon coated basket. They were 96% lean, but were soft and pink inside. Accompanied by a nice saled. Way to go; Wednesday night.

- Innkeeper - 07-19-2007

We killed another last night. It just keeps getting better and better. Will check and see if they have any more left!

Matched with grilled (in between rain drops) loin ends Teriyaki, brown Basmati rice cooked in lamb stock, and green beans almondine. Way to do a Wednesday night.

- wondersofwine - 07-19-2007

Sounds yummy IK.