WineBoard
'94 tasting - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: '94 tasting (/thread-4675.html)

- brappy - 12-23-2005

Poured some wines for some great guys the yesterday and was fortunate enough to be able to taste all.

All are '94s

Abreu
Alexander Valley Vineyards
Aruajo
Arrowood
Basignani (Only non-California)
Beringer Bancroft Merlot
Beringer Private reserve
BV private reserve
Bryant Family
Burgess
Chateau Montelena
Corison
Dalla Valle
Dehlinger
Dominus
Dunn Howell Mtn
Dunn Napa
Etude
Fisher Lamb
Fisher Wedding
Freemark Abbey
Flora Springs Cab Reserve
Flora Springs Trilogy
Forman
Harlan
Jarvis
Laurel Glen
La Jota 13th Anniversary
Mantanzas Creek Merlot
PahlmeyerRTW
Phelps Backus
Phelps Insignia
Murphy-Goode Reserve
Pride (The only corked bottle)
Ridge Montebello
Screaming Eagle
Shfer Hillside Select
Spottswoode
Staglin
Togni
Venge Merlot
Whitehall Lane reserve

It was an honor to be involved in this Tasting. I took no notes. I will say however, the California '94s are no where near falling apart. Also, although this is tough to say, but the Bryant Family for me was the wine of the tasting.

mark

- Drew - 12-23-2005

Quite a list there, Braps, too bad the Pride was corked. Glad to hear the '94s had such staying power...only have a couple left. Happy Holidays.

Drew

- Kcwhippet - 12-23-2005

Looks like a printout of the Weener's cellar.

- winoweenie - 12-23-2005

You did't say if all of the wine was from one source or that each of the participants brought a bottle. Either way it is quite a line-up. I'd find it hard to taste thru this many great bottlings at one session. Either I've had, or still have all but 2 of the wines in my cellar and agree that, properly cellared, most of these puoppies still have some "romp" in'em. WW

- robr - 12-23-2005

Brappy,

I would like your opinion on two bottles I am saving -- how long would you let these lie? Keep in mind, I live in Florida and these are not in a cooler, and sit in the dark at about 70-73 degrees.

2001 Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon

2002 Imagery Paso Robles Petite Syrah

Another member on this list said to wait three more years on both of these.

- brappy - 12-24-2005

Most of the wine came from 1 source. But I believe the rest came from about 4 others. I was there to organize and pour the wines, and of course to taste. Had to spit for the actual tasting; swallowed later.

WW, your cellar sounds like a little piece of heaven.

bernkastler, I've not had either of the wines so I've no real advice. I tend to like my petit syrahs young and wouldn't hesitate to open any time. I haven't had a Silverado Cab for about 10 or so years. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Merry Christmas to everyone!
mark

- TheEngineer - 12-24-2005

That is a helleva list. Just curious, did you split the tasting up somehow, bottles per hour or appellation (St. Helena, Stag's Leap, etc,...)

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year as well!

- brappy - 12-24-2005

Funny enough, I simply did it alphabetically. I didn't want too many heavy hitters in one flight. This was also suggested by one of the guys. We did flights of 7 or 8.