WineBoard
Best cabs under $15 retail - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Best cabs under $15 retail (/thread-4470.html)

Pages: 1 2

- summa - 08-07-2001

Ok here we go, best cabs for under $15 retail (assuming loose 50% markup)?

- Drew - 08-08-2001

Tough question and I think you can discard most California wines as that's an extinct species there.

California wines: Gallo Sonoma, Echelon, Hess Select, Foppiano

Washington wines: Chateau Ste. Michelle, Columbia Crest and Hogue

Australian wines: Wolf Blass, *Greg Norman, *Peter Lehmann Barossa, Rosemount (esp. *Hill of Gold!), Tatachilla

There are also some good Chilians but most seem to have a "green" streak that I'm not partial to.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 08-08-2001

Chateau Les Fiefs de Lagrange hands down. The problem is they have to be cellared, and as I told you before, cabs need to be approachable on release for your purposes, unless you boss is willing to have a cellar fullof Les Fiefs.

Have to agree with Drew on the approachable ones. Columbia Crest Grand Estate Cabernet Sauvignon (step up from their Columbia Valley), and Rosemount "Hill of Gold" would be my first two recommendations. Hess Select would get better name recognition, but have to rank it third.

- summa - 08-09-2001

Thank you very much, also just tried the gallo of sonoma, was quite impressed. Very fruit forward in style, (almost "sweet"), but quite full bodied,decent structure, decent finish, not bad for 11.98 retail.
I'll try the wines you recommended and get back to you.

- Innkeeper - 08-10-2001

In this year's special edition of Wine & Spirits Magazine entitled: The Insider's Guide to Value" (highly recommended reading), there is a section entitled "Great Cabernet Values $30 and Under." It includes the likes of Markham Napa Valley, Franus Napa Valley, and Delille Cellars Yakima Valley. The only wine on this distinguished list that comes in under $15 is the Columbia Crest Grand Estate.

- Innkeeper - 08-19-2001

As fate would have it, went looking for a ready cab last night since none in the cellar were, and found the '98 CC Grand Estate in the local supermarket for $9.99! Grabbed a couple and popped one with gilled sirloin steak last night. It was the best mouthful of cab we've had in the last 10 years for under $10.

- zenda2 - 08-19-2001

Columbia Crest Grand Estate CS for $10 is a heckuva bargain, I haven't seen it for less than $13 around here yet. Will start checking more grocery stores, the trickle down theory working for me at last.

A couple more Cabs to add to your list, both by Laurel Glen's Patrick Campbell. His Terra Rosa '99 is a Chilean Cab blended with ~10% Carmenère. Appears that this is the year El Nino spared his grapes, this one works where earlier attempts didn't. Excellent value @ $10, IMHO. Ignore any earlier attempts, but try the '99.

Let me also recommend Campbell's Napa Counterpoint cab. His 'second' line of wine after Laurel Glen and delicious. I can buy it here for $16, so it's near your price point.

- Drew - 08-19-2001

Had another of the Columbia Crest '98 Grand Estate Cabs tonight with the wife and she went ga ga....good investment for $11! and tasty too.

Drew

- newsguy - 08-20-2001

another name for the list:

Cypress. this central coast cab is from J. Lohr's "second" label and a very tasty bottle that runs $9 or $10 (if you can find it). definitely worth seeking out.

- summa - 08-24-2001

Sighs...I remember when the terra rosa and liberty school were cheap and kicked the #$%^ out of $30+ cabs, those were the days.

- Tom 1960 - 08-27-2001

It's been awhile and I was thinking of purchasing a cab.tonight and the consensus seems to purchase Columbia Crest. And away I go!

- zenda2 - 09-20-2001

Finally found the CC Grand Estates Cab for $9.99. Good things come to those who wait. (And with the Dow dropping over 300 points today, a $10 cab looks better and better).

- Bucko - 09-20-2001

Stock market has really been hammered lately!

- mrdutton - 09-21-2001

I've been getting hammered lately also; or should that be pissed? ( Or both )

Sure hope the liver and kidneys hold up!

- Tom 1960 - 09-21-2001

Today started out looking really bleak before the market even opened. I usually eat breakfast early and head out to the gym just before 6 in the A.M. If this stuff keeps up I'm bringing the wine with me.

- hotwine - 09-22-2001

I start my day with Fox and CNBC about 4:30. Gotta quit doin' that. She wants me to hold off on the sauce until 12 hours later and it's makin' me a nervous wreck!

- Bucko - 09-22-2001

Ever heard of hair of the dawg?? Get with it man!!

- Jen R - 09-23-2001

Awesome Cabs that we have bought over and over: Hacienda, Sonoma Valley; Vinterra, San Juan, Argentina; RH Phillips, CA.

- Innkeeper - 09-23-2001

HI Jen R, and welcome to the Wine Board. Good for you. Those are fine wines. Try the Columbia Crest, Grand Estate, Cabernet Sauvignon soon if you want to see what cab can do at much higher price points.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 09-23-2001).]

- Innkeeper - 11-12-2001

OK, on the way back from a whirlwind six day roadtrip to Chi-town today, stopped at the New Hampshire State liquor store on I-95. There, at the door, were all the CC Grand Estates for $7.99!!!!! Grabbed as many of the '98 cabs as I could cram into the already overloaded car.