WineBoard
My, my, my!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: My, my, my!! (/thread-4436.html)

- Bucko - 09-24-2001

Every now and then a wow wine comes along. This is one of them.......

1997 Simi, Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve, Alexander Valley, California, $75, 4,900 cases. Deeply colored, the nose is full of blackberry, blueberry, vanilla and cedar aromas. Lush and elegant on the palate, the ripe blueberry and black cherry fruit, vanilla, cedar, chocolate and eucalyptus flavors delight the senses. The tannins are polished, the acidity sublime. 92/90.

- winoweenie - 09-25-2001

It has been on my must-buy list since I tried their 91. Think I posted on several. ALWAYS one of the stars from Sonoma. WW

- Bucko - 09-25-2001

I don't think I'd buy much at $75 a pop, but it is a dandy.

- winoweenie - 09-25-2001

Must remember Curmys' defination of a " Best Buy/Steal Deal " ...If'n it costs 100 and tastes like 200, it a steal. These wines ARE worth the money.WW

- RAD - 09-30-2001

Bucko,

I'm curious. If it's a "wow", why only 92 points for the left side of your rating? I know the 90 is for the value--

RAD

- wondersofwine - 07-30-2003

I think my first experience with Simi Cabernet Sauvignon was tasting the 2001 C.S. Reserve, Alexander Valley, at the "California Barrel Tasting" in DC last May. I was totally impressed with the wine, but found it beyond my budget. It seemed smoother than the other 2001 wines (even those from famous wineries). I agree with WW that it is probably worth the asking price in relation to other California wines--it's just that I hardly ever shell out that much money for a single bottle of wine. Hope to find their regular bottling at a more approachable price. (I note that in some years the percentage of c.s. is about 77% with merlot and other varietals blended in. Some of the smoothness may be due to the blend.)
P.S. I think the Reserve was offered at $80 a bottle at Bassin's as futures a few months ago--now they are asking about $97 a bottle!

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 07-30-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 07-30-2003

Back in the neighborhood of 1985 or so, we were driving back from Nebraska (where we lived) to NH to pick up two or more of our girls who were going to college there. We stopped for dinner at a steakhouse in Elkhart, IN; just off I-80, that was recommended by Wine Spectator. As always, their restaurant list didn't disappoint us. Their feature wine for the night was a Simi Cab. Don't recall whether it was regular or reserve or the exact vintage. It was about five or six years old. After having a glass each of it, we immediately ordered a bottle. It was one of the best wines we have ever enjoyed. You could smell it from across the table! The steak was wonderful too.

- winoweenie - 07-30-2003

Just pulled this post back up. To answer a Long-Ago....RAD you don't see a whale of a lot of 92 point wines at the price....'specially from Herr Buckinhamster.WW

- wondersofwine - 07-30-2003

Coincidence abounds, IK. I'm from Lincoln, Nebraska and one of my mother's cousins lives in Elkhart, IN. We visited there once on a trip to New York. Her cousin lived along a riverbank. I think one or more of her children may still live in Elkhart.

- winoweenie - 08-05-2003

Opened a bottle of the 95 version of this wine Add another My to the list. This bowled me over with the depth and clarity of flavors and a legendary 5-Lapper finish. One of the most exceptional drinks I've had this year, aand still has a way to go. 94/92 45 by the box. WW ( Too lazy to start a new thread )