WineBoard
1999 Tobin James Legend - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 1999 Tobin James Legend (/thread-4243.html)

- Innkeeper - 04-22-2002

1999 Tobin James, Legend, Paso Robles, Cabernet Sauvignon ($16). It has modest horsepower by today's standards, weighing in at 13.5% alcohol. Few things send my antennae atwitter more than producers who claim their wine is, "ready to drink now, but will improve with two or three more years in the bottle." One end or the other of this claim is usually bogus. This wine fills the bill. Decanted it an hour ahead of time, but that was probably unnecessary. It showed typical cabernet varietal aromas of cassis, berries, and cherries on the nose that carried over to the tongue tip. This was followed by yummy complexity and smooth tannin across the palate. The finish lingered on and on. It had enough acid, and other qualities to actually improve as advertised another year or three. It matched perfectly with two grillpanned NY/KC Angus strip steaks, sweet potatoes and salad. The steaks were marinated in leftover syrah, patted dry, and rubbed with OO and Morton rub. It's been a year or so since we posted this rub from the Morton Steak House that is in the public domain:

MORTON'S STEAK RUB:

3 tbl Kosher (or sea) salt
3 tbl Paprika
2 tbl Black pepper
1 tbl Granulated garlic (powder)
1 tbl Granulated onion (powder)
1/2 tbl Ground thyme

Whisk together. Dry store in opaque jar. Tbl's can be reduced to tsp's for a test try.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 07-27-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 07-20-2002

Did the same thing with another one tonight. This time it was a porterhouse done the same way and mesquite grilled. Wonderful cab for sixteen bucks.

- winoweenie - 07-21-2002

Torally agree IK on the James gang line-up. Great P/Q juice and nice peeeples. WW

- Innkeeper - 12-22-2003

A bottle of the 2000 Legend arrived with the Fall '03 shipment. It was a clone of the '99. Am sure if they were side by side I could detect some differnce, but as it stands my TN is the same. Price is still $16. Drank it with broiled fillet steaks in bacon rasher and Morton Rum; accompanied with a salad in raspberry/hazelnut vinaigrette. Very nice. The TJ '01s are supposed to be released early next year, and are supposed to be up yet another notch.

- Innkeeper - 07-27-2004

Popped the first '01 tonight, and, yes they kicked it up a notch. Could smell it as it was being decanted. Had typical Cabernet aroma. Showed more varietal characteristics on the nose and upfront, accentuated by black currents and black cherries. Very nice complexity with mocha, mild pepper, and friendly tannin across the palate. It finished with a couple of gongs. Matched splendidly with charcoal and hickory chip smoked rib eyes that had be rubbed with OO and Morton Rub, and salad with blue cheese dressing. Very glad there are five more downstairs.

P.S. It is still $16 and weighs in at 13.8% alcohol.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 07-28-2004).]

- wondersofwine - 07-28-2004

Sounds really nice, IK. Not too tannic? Simi is one producer that told me at the barrel tasting that they are trying to "manage" tannins for a more approachable wine.

- Innkeeper - 09-07-2004

Another '01 tonight with sliced boneless sirloin steak grilled over charcoal with hickory chips. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Also enjoyed "Silver King" corn-on-the-cob and salad in blue cheese dressing with it. Bev remarked immediately without knowing the contents of the caraffe, that it was much better than last night's wine (the White Rhone).

- Innkeeper - 10-11-2004

Had another last night for b-day #65. Matched with broiled flank steak marinated in vinaigrette, and salad. Chocolate cake for dessert. All very good.

- Drew - 10-11-2004

A very happy birthday, IK.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 10-11-2004

Thankee Drew.

- winoweenie - 10-11-2004

Happy B/D there IK you youngster. WW

- Innkeeper - 11-21-2004

Shared the last one tonight with some very nice people. Sigh!

- californiagirl - 12-01-2004

IK- I opened my first '01 tonite. I was wondering... did you taste a little eucalyptus or even pine? Love the black cherries and black currant. Tannins are mild. I also get a slight orange rind on the finish. Yummy wine!