WineBoard
Couldn't Pass this One Up... 'Sides Bottle's Pretty - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Couldn't Pass this One Up... 'Sides Bottle's Pretty (/thread-4054.html)

Pages: 1 2

- mrdutton - 12-10-2000

Vin de Pay D'Oc, 30% Merlot, 10% Syrah, 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12.3% Alc. Bought 12 bottles for $50.00.

This light to medium-bodied beauty has a lot of nice fruit on the nose and the palate. Fruit and acid are balanced but what caught me by surprise is the apparent lack of tannin. Nice, light, silky mouth feel. Short finish on the fruity side. Not very complex.

Georges Duboeuf 1998 Milenage. The price is right, the taste is decent. This is an ok quaffer in my book.

- mrdutton - 12-11-2000

Honest, my wife wants me to drink this stuff so she can put candles in the bottles. (And here I thought that was no longer in style.....)

- winoweenie - 12-11-2000

MrD, not to digress but what kind of bottle does the wunnerful 99 Cline Zinframsnuckle come in . Unnerstan` it`s a keen bottle. winoweenie

- mrdutton - 12-11-2000

Well it is made out of glass and has this stopper in the top made out of cork........

WW - I glanced at the bottle in the wine shop and didn't really notice anything especially distinctive about it, except that it was CLINE and ZIN and both of those words caught my eye.

I am a great fan of their Cotes D'Oakley and also really like their Zin.

Sorry, buddy, dint notice if the bottle was fancy, different or otherwise.

- winoweenie - 12-12-2000

Well that`s It Bucko! Either have them repackage it or I `Haint buyin` NONE. WW

- hotwine - 12-12-2000

We had similar comments about the Milenage in a thread back in March: "Lacks backbone but maybe it will improve in the cellar". But it was then $10.99 per bottle. If it's now $50 per case, and is stable, I guess I should be grateful, even though my two cases have declined markedly in value.

- mrdutton - 12-12-2000

If lacks backbone means it doesn't have the where-with-all to age for very long, has not much tannin and is not very complex, then I think I said all that.

The store where I bought it was dumping it.... because they'd not been able sell much at all at $10.99 a bottle.

When it comes to Beaujolais, Georges Duboeuf produces some very nice wines, indeed; even some fine wines. When it comes to other stuff, his product is usually at least decent and drinkable.

I don't recall your March posting; I'll have to search for it and read what you said!

Now my wife went out the other day and bought a whole bunch of candles......... I guess she really meant what she said about the bottles being perfect, cheap, candle holders. I better get drinking......

- Innkeeper - 12-13-2000

We bought two bottles at full price primaily for the candles earlier this year. Actually thought the wine was a good value. It was designed as a "make everyone happy wine" for the Y2K thing. Came close to hitting the mark square.

- hotwine - 12-13-2000

Comments on the Milenage were an aside under a thread on the '97 Blackstone Merlot, at http://www.wines.com/ubb2/Forum15/HTML/000027.html in March 2000 (found by a search for Milenage).

I think we're all saying pretty much the same thing: it's a fun wine for all seasons, a good quaffer, but not at all complex. (While its blend would suggest otherwise, IMHO.)

Anyway, Mike, you got one whale of a bargain at $50 per case!

Gil

- mrdutton - 12-13-2000

Hotwine said:

>>I think we're all saying pretty much the same thing: it's a fun wine for all seasons, a good quaffer, but not at all complex. (While its blend would suggest otherwise, IMHO.)<<

That is what surprised me. I expected to taste a much more complex wine than I got. But now that I know differently, I'll still drink it, cause it is a nice quaffer. Heck, I might even go back to the grocery store and see if they have another case....... The price is right, that is for sure!

- hotwine - 06-18-2002

Found a case while cleaning out the old storm cellar today; had noticed a moldy old box in a back corner, but thought it was empty. Wrong. Full of Milenage. The box fell completely apart as the wines were withdrawn. Had one tonight with chicken and fried rice, diced tomatoes & bell peppers, and it's still hanging in there. Some of the brash fruit has receded, and that's good in this case. A softer wine, with a bit more evidence of tannins, but probably not much longer for this world. Have a party and drink up.

- Drew - 06-18-2002

Keep looking, Gil, you might turn up a misplaced child or two!! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Drew

- hotwine - 06-19-2002

Nah, I only acknowledge the one daughter; the rest are all lies spread by my enemies.

- Innkeeper - 06-19-2002

Funny that this subject should come up again. You see, those two bottles are now a semi-permanent part of our dinning room table. Last summer in a winery, we found those ceramic corks with long wicks sticking though them. We filled the Milenage bottles up with lamp oil, stuck in the ceramic corks and wicks, and viola , lamp candles. We have always had candlelight with dinner, and figure in the last nine months or so, have saved enough money in candles to buy even more wine.

- wondersofwine - 06-19-2002

IK,
"We have always had candles at dinner"
You romantic you. Nice touch.

- Innkeeper - 08-21-2002

For those of you who missed out, you have a reprive. The new Pop's Hot List arrived this morning; amazingly with the cover still on. They have glommed onto 1K cases of it. They are selling it for $37.80 per case (eat your heart out Dutton) or $3.15 per bottle. God knows where this stuff has been cooking for the past two years, but it would worth picking up at least two bottles, for the bottles alone (see above).

- wondersofwine - 08-21-2002

For a bridal shower at our church parish hall I made some candles with "colored-sand-like" materials that you layer and shift by tilting the glass holder or stirring with a pencil end etc. You could start with a purple layer, put turquoise on top, then red, then white, etc. and stick a wick through the center and you have a custom-designed candle. Pretty easy and fun. I used some hexagon-shaped glass containers which added more interest. Our rector asked where I made the candles, and I said "At my dining room table." She laughed and said "No, where did you learn how to do them?" A crafts instructor in Nuernberg had a group of us making them as centerpieces for a party we put on for reservists called up during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. They aren't the most stable art form but once you light the candle and melt down the wax "sand" they have a limited life anyway.

- wondersofwine - 08-21-2002

Martha Stewart--not! And maybe that's "a good thing."

- wineluvr95 - 08-23-2002

Thanks for the info IK!! I just wanted to mention that although this is my first actual post...I have been lurking on this board and reading the posts everyday for about a year now. I've learned a great deal from all of you and continue to learn more each day on my favorite topic..wine. I had to thank IK for the info on the Milenage because I only had one bottle left at home and wanted to get more. I ordered some from Pops yesterday. Funny enough I'd gotten the cover only of the Pops hotlist in the mail the day before...the whole inside booklet was missing. So without IK's tip I'd have missed out on a great deal. Thanks again!

- wondersofwine - 08-23-2002

Welcome to the board as a post-er. Come back often.