WineBoard
Italian food - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Italian food (/thread-392.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Caldan - 08-31-1999

I'm clueless about wine selection, but I need to impress a date. I'm taking her to a nice, quiet Italian place and would like to order a good bottle of wine. Any suggestions???

The restaurant offers a wide variety of entrees, from traditional Italian/pasta to more nouveau seafood, etc.

- n144mann - 08-31-1999

Caldan, since you want to impress this person, and since it is unlikely that you know what they will choose to eat, it may be helpful to go over to the restaurant earlier in the day, or the day before, and have them go over the menu with you, let them guide you through their winelist making suggestions for the pairings, since they know their food and wine list much better than anyone else on here. Then, when your date orders, you can order according to what they recommended, and hopefully, if they have a good wine program, look like a pro doing it.

Good luck!
Nancy

- Randy Caparoso - 09-02-1999

Okay, the Randy Caparoso school of impressing the date:

1. Don't worry about the quality of the wine. It's hard to find really bad tasting wine these days. The important thing is to look good doing it. So practice gazing at the wine list. Furrow your brows a little, and maybe raise one side or the other just after you turn a page.

2. Now, you may not know what you are reading, but you do have to look for the price. If you order anything less than $25, and she should happen to find out, you're not going to look good. I suggest looking for something around $28-$38. Not cheap, yet very, very good (trust me -- I know my wine, and that's MY price range).

3. I'm also supposing that you've chosen your entrees. If what you've ordered is veering towards salad and white seafood in white creamm or butter sauces (not red, garlicky sauces), then you need a white wine. If your dishes involve meat (carpaccio, beef, veal, etc.), mushrooms (porcini), and tomato sauces, then you need red wine. If you're looking for perfect match-love, let her order first, and then you order something in the same vein -- telling her that you really do have a lot in common. The advantage to that is that whatever wine you order, it will wisely go with both of your courses.

4. Okay, am I being too complicated? Hope not, because now you have to order the wine. I want to make it easy for you, so please listen: If you need a white wine, order a Pinot Grigio between $28 and $38. If you need a red wine, order a Chianti Classico in the same price range. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE PRODUCER OR VINTAGE! It's the TYPE of wine, and how you pronounce it, that matter most. To repeat: Pinot Grigio for white, Chianti Classico for red. These are all-time classics, man.

5. Now for the pronunciation. Say Pinot Grigio like an Italian: PEE-no GREE-ggee-o. Let it roll off your tongue, with emphasis on the PEE. Trust me -- idle conversation can't get any sexier. As for Chianti Classico: kee-AHN-tee CLASS-see-ko. Let it roll; and maybe with a light flicker of the hand as you point to it on the wine list.

6. Finally, remember: you will need to have the waiter looking over your shoulder in case you have to point to exactly which Chianti or Pinot Grigio you want (there might be several brands available). But make it look like a conspiracy -- like the two of you are cooking up something really, truly special.

Like I said, it's not what you know, but how you do it. And besides, I just gave you some sound food/wine matching tips to go along with it.

- Caldan - 09-03-1999

Randy, this is great stuff! Have you thought about writing a book?

- Tabby - 09-03-1999

I was impressed by the advice to "furrow your brows a little"! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Gets 'em every time...

- Randy Caparoso - 09-03-1999

Well, as long as you don't end up looking like James Thurber's "thinker." The proper effect is "devilishly knowing" -- sort of like Hugh Grant (or Pierce Brosnan, if your date is a 45 year old babe like Rene Russo) -- as opposed "dead air."

- Tabby - 09-04-1999

Oh, I can do "devilishly knowing" pretty good... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- n144mann - 09-04-1999

Randy Randy Randy.....you must have been something else when you were younger. Not that you have changed a bit! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] And you wonder why you get into trouble....<grin> I get into my share also, but at least I don't baffle 'em with bull. <grin>

So tell me Randy, do you still pull these antics?? Or is that classified information??
perhaps I don't want to know. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Ok Caldan, now that you have the Date Demon's advice also, and unfortunately, becuase he did give you good wine choices, I fear it might work.....I still stand by my own advice for the following reasons.

1)Being prepared with knowledge is better than bull!! Now Randy has given you both...so that is why I think it might work THIS time.

2) While Randy's plan is easier, women are VERY perceptive, especially one on one, and chances are, she will figure out what you are doing. ( I am assuming here that you are a guy and your date is female) Now there is the chance that she will sit quietly by and say to herself, " oh look he doesn't have a clue...but he is trying to impress me, isn't that sweet. I am flattered." I have been there and done that.... but she may just as easily say...." he doesn't have a clue...why doesn't he just ask the waiter...what a jerk."

3) At some point down the road, assuming Randy's plan has worked and you get another date, there is going to come a time when you do not have a chance to consult the Date Demon for further tactics on how to keep her baffled about your wine knowledge, or heaven forbid, she asks you a direct question about some wine....then what?? If you actually go and learn a little bit, then you will be better prepared, at least you will be able to make an educated guess.

4) Don't underestimate a womans intellect or generousity. If she likes you well enough to go out with you, chances are, if you are honest, have done what you can to make the evening wonderful, (and remember, the wine is NOTHING compared to your company and attentiveness, and even the Date Demon will agree with me on this one ) and are as prepared as you can be to make your wine choices....she will not mind if you make a mistake...as long as it is an honest one.

Hey Randy, what do we charge for our dating advice?? Wanna do a book together?? We could do a He Said She Said thing. <grin>

Nancy

[This message has been edited by n144mann (edited 09-04-99).]

- Randy Caparoso - 09-04-1999

Well, Nancy, as usual... I have no defense. So I plead the 5th.

But then again, all I know is that lots of women seem to prefer style over substance (or as Elmore Leonard once observed, the seven-million-dollar actor in a jacket a bum wouldn't wear), but seem to shun the guys (or "geeks") who actually know. Please don't ask ME why (you're the woman, after all). Or why other women -- granted -- remain much taller orders!

[This message has been edited by Randy Caparoso (edited 09-04-99).]

- n144mann - 09-05-1999

HMMMMMM Randy, style over substance,you can have both you know. I demand both in a companion. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Besides, I contend that most women don't like plastic men, you know the kind...all style and no substance. You warm them up and they turn into goo. But then, we 'dixie chicks' are picky when it comes to men. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

But really, haven't you been watching the trend in the movies lately?? The geek is getting the girl.

As for yourself...... honey, somehow I doubt you are ever defenseless. <grin> You are too smart for that.

Nancy

[This message has been edited by n144mann (edited 09-05-99).]

- n144mann - 09-05-1999

oops, sorry 'bout the 'honey' ...sheesh, five days down south and all my old habits return. Sends the guys here in MN (or at least their wives) spinning when I say that here. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] (sometimes I can be evil...<laugh> )

Nancy

- Randy Caparoso - 09-05-1999

But seriously, Nancy -- wasn't I originally trying to say that you need it ALL these days? You gotta walk that walk AND tawk that tawk!

- Tabby - 09-05-1999

I gotta say this - you two make a great double act!!! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Speaking for myself, it's substance all the way....don't have time for any of that superficial flim-flam! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- n144mann - 09-05-1999

Good for you Tabby!!! In the long run, substance is what ages well.....just like a fine wine. All the pretty labels can't hide an inferior wine that is going to lose its appeal quickly, same with people. When we are lucky, we find someone with both.

Well seriously Randy, I know that is what you were trying to say....and I know that is how you ARE, being able to walk the walk AND talk the talk....so I will give it to you.

Nancy

- Thomas - 09-06-1999

Unless I missed it, Caldan said nothing about gender. Why do you assume he is a he and not a she trying to impress a he?

Frankly, I am amazed that younguns still try to impress through dinner. Makes me think there is hope after all. Then again, maybe Caldan is not a youngun either.

Back in the stone age of the sixties I impressed my dates with complete charm, restaurants were too costly.

Jump in here Caldan, anytime.

- n144mann - 09-06-1999

Well Foodie, it goes back to that rant I had a couple of months ago....about why the wine list is automatically given to the man at the table, even tho I am the one who asked for it.....just going with the social flow. Most often it is still the man who pays for dinner, and who is the initial one to want to impress through that means.

Nancy

- Thomas - 09-06-1999

Caldan, where are you? Who are you? Put this to rest.

Anyway, how was the dinner?

- Caldan - 09-06-1999

Wow, who would've thought a simple wine question would generate so much interesting dialogue!

To clarify, I'm male, 32 years old. I do consider myself a "youngun", though GenX would surely disagree. My date-to-be is 24 and female. It was going to be a blind date, but one I was excited about.

So did Randy's advice work? Unfortunately, we'll have to wait to find out. Sadly, she lost her job the day before we were supposed to go out. Not a great time for a first date, so we postponed. We'll hopefully do it sometime in the next couple of months, but she understandably needs to get her life back together first.

But in the mean time, I'll be trying out Randy's advice at the first opportunity. I'll keep you guys informed.

By the way, Nancy, your advice was great, too. But there's a reason I was drawn to Randy's advice. See, there are many of us who enjoy a good glass of wine, but have no idea what goes with what or why. For us, a simple direction like "with Italian, order Pinot or Chianti" is like gold. Hey, we have to learn this stuff somewhere! And I don't drink enough wine to develop a palate.

Style over substance? Never. Both have to exist to create a romantic interest. But despite the denials of women, they'll be immediatly attracted to style every time. I've seen it happen too many times. Granted, if there's no substance there, they'll quickly lose interest, but the first thing they want to see is a guy with confidence who looks like he knows what he's doing.

Am I wrong?

Caldan

PS: In my opinion, Randy and Nancy should go out. Now THAT would be an interesting date!

- Thomas - 09-07-1999

Talk about style over substance, if Nancy and Randy did what you suggested, Caldan, their respective spouses might do well with the substance of the divorce...

Glad to finally find out your gender and your age. If you truly would like to learn a little more about wine there are two things you can do right away.

1. Get a couple of books on the subject. (Many recommend Wine for Dummies. I don't simply because I would never drop money on a book that starts out by calling me a dummy. Although, I have met the writers of the book and they are quite wine knowledgable -- one of them is a Master of Wine.) Others on this board have a better handle on the books for beginners than I do, so someone like Nancy can help there.

2. Taste, taste and taste again. Go to wineries and taste. Go to dinners and taste. Maybe join a tasting club. The fun involved in learning about wine cannot be overstated. And tasting wine is the best and the sure-fire way to learn about the subject, after you know a little from the books.

As for that date, maybe I have been around too long and am getting cynical, but losing one's job seems like a great opportunity for wanting a free dinner. Better check into her motives before you spend a lot of money...But, hey, I could be wrong. If I were flawless about women I wouldn't be on my umpteenth relationship and my second marriage!!!

- Thomas - 09-07-1999

I forgot, just wanted to say: If style is the first consideration, then substance may never show its pretty face.