WineBoard
Pasta again? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Pasta again? (/thread-368.html)

- mors3953 - 01-12-2001

I've been asked to bring a nice bottle of wine to a dinner. We will be having
Spaghetti and Meatballs in a lightly-spiced tomato sauce. The desert will be a sherbert of some variety. (I don't really know!)
Any recommendations?

- hotwine - 01-12-2001

'97 Chianti Classico at about $12.

- Thomas - 01-13-2001

Mi dispiace, but I disagree. I think Chianti has a touch too much acid for rich tomato sauce, so I go with southern Italian wines like Primitivo, Salice Salentino or Copertino. A lot more fruit and roundness.

- winoweenie - 01-13-2001

Hi mors3953. and welcome to the board. Did you take your monicker from the registration on your Appaloosa? (hehe). Being the Cali-Phile on the board I say nothin` could be fina` when you go out to dina` thana Zina.OOOPPS! Almost started doin` my buck-n-wing. winoweenie

- mrdutton - 01-13-2001

I think WW said Zinfandel.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 01-13-2001).]

- winoweenie - 01-13-2001

WOW! MrD did it agin.WW

- Thomas - 01-14-2001

...and let us not forget the still-suspected connection between Zinfandel and Primitivo. I believe that the Croatian grape that is now believed to be the parent of Zin is a relative of Primi, but of course I believe that none of the children I left scattered during all my Air Force tours of duty are mine...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-14-2001).]

- mrdutton - 01-14-2001

What to the folks at UC Davis say about that?
Has there been any DNA testing?

I paid a visit to the database at Strats Place. Here is what Anthony Hawkins has to say about Zinfandel:

ZINFANDEL:
An important grape variety, also thought to be the variety once known as Black St. Peter in early 19th century California lore, currently grown in California and used to produce robust red wine as well as very popular "blush wines" called "white Zinfandel". The oldest vines found in the Dry Creek and Amador regions are notable for their ability to produce superior juice; eg. the "Bevill-Mazzoni" clone from the Dry Creek appellation was recently reported (7/2000) as yielding excellent results even as a young vine. Zinfandel is noted for the fruit-laden, berry-like aroma and prickly taste characteristics in its red version and pleasant strawberry reminders when made into a "blush" wine. While its origins are not clear it has been positively identified, via DNA analysis at UC Davis (California), as the Primitivo (di Gioia), a variety grown in Apulia, southern Italy. According to an Italian report of 1996 the latter variety may have a relationship to members of the Vranac variety cépage grown in Montenegro, the state that, combined with Serbia, constitutes what remains of the former Yugoslavia. Other contenders were certain mutated members of the Mali Plavac, (a.k.a Plavac Mali), cépage varieties which are mainly grown in the coastal area known as Dalmatia, a province of Croatia recently a part of the former Yugoslavia and located just across the Adriatic sea from the shores of Italian Apulia. Research is presently (7/98) underway to explore possible relationships. The origin of the grapename "Zinfandel" in California is currently not known but is thought by some to be a corruption of Zierfandler, a completely unrelated white variety still grown in the Balkan region of Europe. It has been noted that mid-19th century catalogs mention a red (ie. "roter") mutation of that variety. A plausible hypothesis is that a naming error arose due to attribution and shipping mistakes made during unreliable early-19th century transport and handling to New World destinations.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 01-14-2001).]

- Innkeeper - 01-14-2001

Wrong folks. Tomato sauce needs a wine with lots of acid, the more the merrier. Barbera, Italian or American, the cheaper the better.

- Thomas - 01-14-2001

IK, since wine and tastes are subjective matters we do not use the word WRONG--but you are definitely WRONG!!!! Acid-with acid needs fruit to balance it--southern Italian does better in that department. Barbera with lighter tomato sauces as in Florentine, or use it with other northern cooking; Primitivo with the big red tomato ones.

- winoweenie - 01-15-2001

Hey mors, `aint you glad we have such a unified front here on `da board? ZINS IN! WW

- winecollector - 01-17-2001

Oh rats, I'm going to have to agree with Innkeeper on this one guys, just this one time. I regularly go with either a Chianti or a Barbara with Italian food. Who better to get wine from for Italian cousine, than the Italians?

- Thomas - 01-17-2001

Mr. winecollector, Primitivo and Salice are Italian wines. The argument is northern or southern Italian with tomato sauce. I go south, youse guys go north--and youse is going in the wrong direction. ...

- Innkeeper - 01-18-2001

Can't believe Winecollector actually agreed with moi, but methinks Barbara might flatten the pasta, while barbera would go with it.