WineBoard
wine in plastics cups - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine & Health (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: wine in plastics cups (/thread-3296.html)

- mielke11 - 09-08-2002

can wine be stored overnite in plastic cups (as for serving at church services) and used the next day without a health threat to the people. Would the same apply to grape juice. We'd appreciate any information on this. It would of course be in a fridge. Elaine Mielke

- Drew - 09-08-2002

There should be no health risk providing the refrigerator is clean. The only thing you might notice storing the wine open to the air is the wine will taste better or worse (flat) due to the influence of oxygen and how the wine reacts (opens or deteriorates).

Drew

- Thomas - 09-08-2002

For the purpose of enjoying the pleasure of the taste and nuances of wine, it should never be poured into or from plastic cups. But for the purpose of religious ritual, I suppose it matters not; as far as I know, plastic cups won't kill anybody--until the scientists come up with a study to prove otherwise.

- Botafogo - 09-08-2002

Foodie, the most trancendental wine moment of my life occured when attending a serious Burgundy tasting at Commander's Palace in New Orlean's Garden District (while serving as the Beverage Director at Antoine's, in the French Quarter) and I had to get back to work just as they served the mack daddy of the show, the Vosne Romanee les Malconsorts 1971. So, ever the Boy Scout, I took my portion (and that of a departed competitor!) in a "go cup" (Dixie cup type) and got to the St. Charles Streetcar just as a serious springtime thunderstorm browke out. So, there I am, communing with the terroir and culture of the Dukes of Burgogne in an open air streetcar with biblical lighting and thunder going on three feet away and I always tell people that was the best "wine by the glass" I ever had....

Off to the Hollywood Bowl for Brasil Night, Robertinho

- Innkeeper - 09-09-2002

Will not attempt to top Roberto's story, so will get back to mundane things. Depends on the type of plastic. Acrilic doesn't do to bad in certain circumstances. Have accumulated quite a collection of these, having removed and replaced with glass from my wine tote, and those I have presented to others. I find they a fine for outdoor activites such as picnics and lobster bakes, where there would be a danger of glass ones getting broken. There are places around here where you can't bring anything made of glass.

- Thomas - 09-10-2002

Yeah, Roberto, and I used to drink T'bird out of a bag--used to like it too!!!

- Auburnwine - 09-13-2002

Riding on the St. Charles in a thunderstorm drinking Vosne Romanee les Malconsorts ("malconsorts" --- "bad companions"?) from a Dixie cup. What a lovely, transcendent moment! Thank you for sharing it, Roberto.

Reminds me of my own experience punting on the Cam, drinking "Red Square" from a Texas roadhouse plastic cup -- as choristers in neighboring boats prepared for a madrigal competition. Willow trees, renaissance buildings, beautiful music, and good friends. Life is so very good.

- winoweenie - 09-13-2002

Wish I had ALL of the wine I've consumed from paper, plastic or styrofoam cups. We could fill Buckos' new cellar post-haste and with "Good" swill. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- winedope1 - 09-13-2002

In college we used to keep it in an IV bottle so the dorm monitor wouldn't fine us for having alcohol in our rooms. Hung on the wall, she thought it was part of the "decor".

- hotwine - 09-13-2002

Love it, WD! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

Hmmm, seem to recky-member screwin' up and tryin' Chivas Regal from a grungy canteen cup........After first gulp, figured that was a bad idea, and took it straight from the bottle..... Fortunately, the bad guys left us alone that evenin', until much later in the night.... Moral? When in doubt, omit the intermediate container....

- Innkeeper - 09-13-2002

When in 'Nam, put bed separators UNDER my bunk, with an extra mattress on the floor. On it I kept my flack vest, helmet, and a canteen filled with wine. During many aerial visits from the enemy I managed to lower the hairs on the back of my neck with the contents of the canteen.

- Kcwhippet - 09-13-2002

Best I can do is what we did a few years back at an Eric Clapton concert at what was called Great Woods (now called Tweeter Center - yuck) here in MA. Anyway, it's an open air ampitheater and they have great shows. Well, they have a policy of no alcohol coming in because they sell it there, so you have to get creative. Our solution was to bring a couple of those squirt bottles runners and bikers carry. Ours weren't filled with water though. We brought in a full bottle each of 87 Ridge Lytton Springs Zin and 91 River Run Zin. We sat on our blanket and watched a great concert. Did the same for the Eagles Hell Freezes Over show, but for the life of me I can't remember what wines we brought to that one.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 09-13-2002).]

- winedope1 - 09-13-2002

good for you, KC. never managed to figure out a way to get stuff into Great Woods !

- joeyz6 - 09-13-2002

Great stories. Continuing the college concealing ... Once I, um, borrowed some wine from my pops. Problem was, I had to get it over to my friend's place. Without thinking I grabbed a flat tupperware container my mom usually used for storing casserole, poured about seven or eight ounces in there, slapped on the cover and left.

My buddy and I split the meager portion. But first, he removed the cover, held it out to me, and said, "Would you like to smell the lid, sir?"

- Bucko - 09-13-2002

Saudi Arabia was dry during Desert Storm thanks to the US trying to be PC to the Nth degree. Trust me, wine does not travel well in plastic bottles...... however, Scotch did just fine in Hydrogen Peroxide bottles. :-) We traded MREs with the French for Perrier, headed for the desert at night, lit up ceegars, and had Chevas and Perrier while the scuds flew....... man the night sky was incredible with the all of the stars.

- Thomas - 09-14-2002

While paying my way through college (or was it to pay off the college debt?)--anyway, I drove a yellow taxi in NYCity. In those days, money was even more scarce than today, so I drank a lot of, ahem, inexpensive wine--and I mean a lot.

But taxi driving is time-consuming and tiring. I needed a way to get my job and my drink in. I bought me one of those Spanish wine pouches shaped like a bladder, filled it with wine every evening, draped it over my shoulder and went to pick up my taxi. Took small sips throughout the night to help keep me from blowing my horn when someone p----d me off.

One night a couple gets in the cab. The guy taps on the bullet-proof slab that separates driver from the huddled masses. I slide open the little money window and ask what's up.

"Do you mind if we light up a joint in the cab?"

"Not really," I say, showing him my wine sack. "As long as you don't mind if I drink."

"But you are driving..." he says.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 09-14-2002).]

- redmonk - 09-14-2002

i a climber and when i do easy ovenight trips i always take some vino with me. i find that leaxan is teh BEST plastic to use as it doesn't pickup the smells and tast of food likeothers do...