WineBoard
wine and heart beat - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine & Health (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: wine and heart beat (/thread-3294.html)

Pages: 1 2

- bridgehorse - 04-18-2005

hi everyone, can someone please tell me that why after i drink wine, a couple of hours later my heart beats faster than normal for a few hours and the rest of the night? i usually drink a bottle of red by myself once or twice on the weekends..sometimes a little more in one sitting..is this the reason?

thanks..

dan

- wineguruchgo - 04-23-2005

Dan,

I would start keeping a journal of it. Does it happen with a particular wine? Does it happen at the first, third or fifth glass?

Many producers will add thing to wine (sulphur, yeast strains, etc..). You could be allergic to something that a particular producer is throwing into the mix.

There are so many variables. If you can narrow it down to maybe a region, grape or producer I think you will have an idea of what you need to stay away from.

Alcohol is a depressant and shouldn't be speeding up your heart rate.

JMHO.

- wineguruchgo - 04-23-2005

With regard to the Sulphur - I was talking abuut SO2. It was late and I didn't go into as much detail as I should have.

Some people do have sulphur based allergies -such as my niece.

Wines smells like water from a sulphur spring and if you should drink it because you missed the smell…you will experience an unpleasant prickly feeling in the throat and nose. This is caused by too much SO2 being used as a preservative. Often occurs in cheap white wine.

Another source:

Sulphur It's presence is detectable as a burnt-match smell. Almost all winemakers use sulphur products to some degree as an anti-oxidant and anti-bacterial agent.

From what I understand many top-notch wineries will use a sulphur agent to clean the tanks. Yet if it's not done properly residue will end up in the wine.

[This message has been edited by wineguruchgo (edited 04-23-2005).]

- wineguruchgo - 04-24-2005

Foodie,

I understand everything that you have written. Yet...here we are talking about allergies.

There are some people that can have very little of something and have an adverse affect. Some people can't tolerate anything.

I have a friend who walked by someone burning poison ivy and he ended up in the hospital because of it. All he did was walk by it.

In much of what you have written the word sulphur comes up a lot. It doesn't affect most of us. Yet for some...it's not pleasant.

That's what I'm trying to say.

- Thomas - 04-24-2005

Guru,

Have deleted my responses.

- Drew - 04-24-2005

I'm no doctor but a bottle+ at one sitting is a lot of alcohol and I suspect dehydration might be the issue. Try drinking water both before, during and after and you might notice some lesser negative effects.

Drew

- winoweenie - 04-24-2005

Works fer moi'.WW ( By the way BH, haven't we flogged this horse before? )

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 04-24-2005).]

- Kcwhippet - 04-24-2005

Frequently, WW.

- wineguruchgo - 04-24-2005

Foodie!

Why did you delete your responses?! They were so detailed and so many can learn from them!

Please don't do that. I personally learned from you for my MS test and now I can't go back and re-read what you wrote!

Silly man!

- Zinner - 04-25-2005

I second Foodie (or anyone) leaving the reponses. It's more interesting to have input from a number of people sharing their views.

- Thomas - 04-27-2005

I deleted the responses because it seemed by your last post Guru, that I may have gone overboard in my response. Sorry if I misunderstood.

- winoweenie - 04-27-2005

As posted above if you all remember it seems we answer this same bloomin' question from this same person about every 4 months. I suggest all of us ignore it. WW

- Georgie - 04-27-2005

Exactly. Talk about beating a dead horse....

- bridgehorse - 04-28-2005

hi everyone and thanks for all of your replies! WW and GEORGIE, i do not recall asking this question every 4 months, so maybe you are thinking of another member or another topic...as far as i know this is the first time i asked this question and if i do repeat a question to the group, it is only because of newer research that came out that members might help everyone out with, this is the health section after all...

thanks again for all of your replies, it really helped me out alot..!!!

dan white

[This message has been edited by bridgehorse (edited 04-28-2005).]

- Georgie - 04-28-2005

Whatever you say, BH.

- Kcwhippet - 04-28-2005

BH, The archives show you've posted 18 times in the past 20 months, mostly about some aspect of your health and wine.

- bridgehorse - 04-28-2005

KC, and what is wrong with that?? this is the health section of the boards right?? and with all due respect i dont think repeating a question even if it is not intentional so harmful...i dont understand what WW and GEORGIE's problem is...

chill out people...we are here to help each other with our questions..

dan white

- Kcwhippet - 04-28-2005

Chill out yourself there, Danny Boy. There's nothing at all wrong with multiple posts, and nobody here has a problem with your posts. However, you seem to have a huge problem with your questions about your health, especially related to alcohol consumption. Perhaps it might be more appropriate if you were to direct some of your questions to a health care professional more qualified to provide the answers you seek.

- winoweenie - 04-29-2005

AMEN TO THAT!!!!WW

- bridgehorse - 04-29-2005

KC, since i have been a member here since 2002, i have never expected medical advise from anyone here on the boards. i am only looking for feedback from other members who might have experienced the same situations. this is a health board, so none of my questions over the years should offend anyone as they all are specific to wine and health.

dan white

[This message has been edited by bridgehorse (edited 04-29-2005).]