WineBoard
my red wine consumption - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine & Health (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: my red wine consumption (/thread-3281.html)

Pages: 1 2

- bridgehorse - 02-14-2003

hi wine fans, i generally drink a bottle/half of the red (cabernet) (750ml at 13.0-13.5 alch) on my own on saturday nights and sometimes on occasion do a bottle on sunday nights. i never drink during the week at all and i never drink beer or hard liquor and i do not drink white wine or champagne. i was wondering if this is a tough havoc on the liver with this schedule and if this is considered binge drinking. considering i am a very healthy person(diet-work out-detox-milk thistle and liver detox) during the week mon-fri and considering a persons body does not know the difference between saturday and tuesday for example, is this ok to do or would it be better to spread out my red wine for the 7 day period?? i realize these are many questions and i hope you can answer all of them..thank you....dan

- hotwine - 02-14-2003

You'll find a lot of people on this board who consume 1/2 bottle to a full bottle each day, seven days per week.... and I'm one of 'em. Is it healthy for you? Can't say, check with your doc. Works fine for me.

- Drew - 02-14-2003

Me too....what was the question???

Droopy

- bridgehorse - 02-14-2003

thank you both for your speedy replies..wow, a half bottle/bottle every day??? i feel a little better now i guess because i feel i am not hurting my liver too much..plus i use herbs to detox my liver before and after i drink and i take vitamin c before and after too cause it protects the liver..wine i feel is the the only alcohol that is kinder to liver than most other alcohol...thanks again.. p.s. i would advise B-COMPLEX after people drink any alcohol because when people drink it takes all B vitamins out of your system...a little word to the wise...dan

[This message has been edited by bridgehorse (edited 02-14-2003).]

- hotwine - 02-14-2003

I take a B-complex every day, along with a multi and a baby aspirin. And sweat my butt off through vigorous exercise. Wine is consumed with dinner in this household, with other foods. Would not recommend such a level of consumption for a sedentary lifestyle.

- mrdutton - 02-15-2003

I drink a 1/2 bottle to 2 bottles a day. Depends on the day. Weekdays generally no more than 1/2 bottle per. Weekends get better coverage and that includes Friday.

Today I started at lunch. By the time I managed to type this reply I'd had two bottles of red. That is 1.5 liters of 13.5% red wine over a 12 hour period. But I've also drunk 3.0 liters of water during the same time frame.

Whatever you do, don't drink alcohol without drinking water..............

Most likely, though, tomorrow and Sunday will be lighter days with only about 1 bottle per day consumed. Then back to 1/2 bottle on the weekdays.

My blood and kidney and liver all test out satisfactorily and have done so for some number of years at this consumption rate. Cholesterol is well within proscribed limits, etc......

Never mind that I've had to have six inches of my colon removed....... (GRIN!!!!!)

- hotwine - 02-15-2003

Mike's right about the water. My rate of consumption is about two liters per day on average.

- winoweenie - 02-15-2003

Being one of the few on the board who prescribes to the quantities advised by rhe AMA I assure you the amount you drink isn't harmful...'smatter of fact I normally spill more than that on a week-end [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]. For the last 40+ years I've had a bottle of wine at both lunch and dinner. Like MisserD I drink lots of water and like Hotsie-poo I do 3 miles every morning.My liver count has held steady for over 25 years and my body tells me when and for how long to take a sabbatical. They range from 1 to 6 weeks. Works for me.WW

- Thomas - 02-15-2003

Bridgehorse, didn't you post this same question about a year ago? Are you testing our consistency?

My answer this time--find out what you can handle, both physically and mentally, and stay with it, but drink about a glass of water for each glass of wine.

- bridgehorse - 02-15-2003

foodie, no i have not posted this question before a year ago because i did not even know about the wine board at that time and no i am not testing consistency..sorry you feel that way but thanks for the answer to my question, i appreciate it..but let me ask you..doesn't water affect the highness that one gets from drinking wine??? would it be better to drink water after all the drinking is done????..thanks......dan.

- Drew - 02-15-2003

Bridgehorse, I've never heard that about water and alcohol, and don't believe that water consumption would increase the alcohol level in the bloodstream. Aspirin, on the other hand, as well as other medications that thin the blood should not be taken prior to drinking alcohol unless one wants to get drunk very quickly.

Drew

actually i was wondering if it decreased the effect not increase...thanks...bridge

- mrdutton - 02-15-2003

Alcohol tends to dehydrate the body. That is why you should drink water when you drink alcohol.

You don't have to go sip for sip. But my table usually has a glass of wine and a glass of water and both usually get consumed.

thanks mr. dutton for your reply..i appreciate your honesty in your answers. the reason i was asking about the water was for health reasons for the liver, if it was better to drink it while drinking alcohol and you answered the question specifically.thanks..dan

- hotwine - 02-15-2003

I do the same as MrD.... have a glass (or bottle) of Gerolsteiner or San Pellegrino, both sparkling waters, to accompany the food and wine. The Gerolsteiner has a high sodium content, which my bod seems to crave, so that's first choice; but Pellegrino is much more common, especially in local Italian restaurants.

hotwine..is it ok to have just basic water instead of sparkling??? just wondering...thanks..dan

- hotwine - 02-15-2003

Sure. The effervescence of sparkling water just enhances its refreshing qualities, IMHO.

thank you hotwine for your speedy reply...dan

- Thomas - 02-15-2003

bridgehorse, I searched the archives. On Aug 24, 2002 you posted a question about wine and the liver.On Aug 23 you asked about eating before drinking wine. A week before that you asked if your red wine consumption was too much for one person daily. All the same questions you posted this week.

What gives?

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 02-15-2003).]

hi foodie...i guess i do not recall this..it is not i am checking consistency.i must have forgot..i do not waste my time unless i am very unsure.maybe i just forgot...i am sorry... i hope you are not mad... i thank you for your response foodie...dan white