WineBoard
wine and cancer - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine & Health (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: wine and cancer (/thread-3235.html)

- curious - 01-03-2003

Okay,
I have read all the postives of wine, it helps with cholesterol levels, raises good, lowers bad. Help with heart, and the red wines help with anti-oxidants, which help the cells fight off diseases. Also helps with Altizemers and dementia.

My hubby came home from work, and said that someone remarked that they had heard that wine can cause, in women, breast cancer, if they have a family history of it.
None of what I have read said anything about that.

Does anyone here know anything about that, do I put this in file thirteen, or do I need to do more research into it?

Janette

- Innkeeper - 01-03-2003

There has been recent evidence that white wine can help prevent cancer in men and women. Keep up the research and you will find it.

- ShortWiner - 01-03-2003

There's also research showing a somewhat increased risk of breast cancer. For details, see the NY Times article I posted in the Novice board, under the "HDLs" thread.

Edit: here's the link-- http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/31/health/31ALCO.html

[This message has been edited by ShortWiner (edited 01-03-2003).]

- wondersofwine - 01-03-2003

see also "Red v. White" in the Wine and Health Forum dating back to November 2002 at
www.wines.com.ubb2/Forum7/HTML000071.html.

- curious - 01-03-2003

Thanks, will check them out, my main curiousity was concerning breast cancer. I have read a lot on the positive benefits, here and at other sites, but had never seen any mention about breast cancer before, will do some more digging.
Janette

- Thomas - 01-03-2003

I am beginning to believe that all the reports--pro or con--are just short of con jobs.

Re, cancer: resveratrol, a chemical found naturally in a particular tree bark, was first identified at the University of Chicago, and was said to reduce risk of cancer. Then, resveratrol showed up in grape skins, and was said to reduce the risk both of cancer and heart disease. Now, wine is a risk for breast cancer.

I think we think too much!

- Bucko - 01-03-2003

Here are a few abstracts to peruse. As usual, they contradict each other. Medicine is NOT an exact science.
Potent inhibitory action of red wine polyphenols on human breast cancer cells.

J Cell Biochem 2000 Jun 6;78(3):429-41 (ISSN: 0730-2312)

Damianaki A; Bakogeorgou E; Kampa M; Notas G; Hatzoglou A; Panagiotou S; Gemetzi C; Kouroumalis E; Martin PM; Castanas E [Related Authors]
Laboratory of Experimental Endocrinology, University of Crete, School of Medicine and University Hospital, Heraklion, Greece.

Breast cancer (one of the most common malignancy in Western societies), as well as esophagus, stomach, lung, bladder, and prostate cancer, depend on environmental factors and diet for growth and evolution. Dietary micronutriments have been proposed as effective inhibitory agents for cancer initiation, progression, and incidence. Among them, polyphenols, present in different foods and beverages, have retained attention in recent years. Red wine is a rich source of polyphenols, and their antioxidant and tumor arresting effects have been demonstrated in different in vitro and in vivo systems. In the present study, we have measured the antiproliferative effect of red wine concentrate, its total polyphenolic pool, and purified catechin, epicatechin, quercetin, and resveratrol, which account for more than 70% of the total polyphenols in red wine, on the proliferation of hormone sensitive (MCF7, T47D) and resistant (MDA-MB-231) breast cancer cell lines. Our results indicate that polyphenols, at the picomolar or the nanomolar range, decrease cell proliferation in a dose- and a time-dependant manner. In hormone sensitive cell lines, a specific interaction of each polyphenol with steroid receptors was observed, with IC(50)s lower than previously described. Interaction of polyphenols with steroid receptors cannot fully explain their inhibitory effect on cell proliferation. In addition, discrete antioxidant action on each cell line was detected under the same concentrations, both by modifying the toxic effect of H(2)O(2), and the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS), after phorbol ester stimulation. Our results suggest that low concentrations of polyphenols, and consecutively, consumption of wine, or other polyphenol-rich foods and beverages, could have a beneficial antiproliferative effect on breast cancer cell growth.
Alcoholic calories, red wine consumption and breast cancer among premenopausal women.

Eur J Epidemiol 1997 Sep;13(6):639-43 (ISSN: 0393-2990)

Viel JF; Perarnau JM; Challier B; Faivre-Nappez I [Related Authors]
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Besancon, France. jfviel@francenet.fr.

The role of alcohol consumption (alcoholic calories, alcoholic beverages) on breast cancer risk was investigated in a case-control study of 154 premenopausal female patients diagnosed with primary breast carcinoma. For each case, one control was matched for age (+/- 3 years) and socio-economic status. The survey was carried out in Northeastern France (Lorraine) between 1986 and 1989. While taking into account total caloric intakes and various breast cancer factors, breast cancer risk was shown to increase as consumption of alcohol increased (p value for trend = 0.007). A significant relative risk (RR = 2.69; 95% CI: 1.40-5.17) was shown above 60 kcal per day (approximately 9 g of alcohol per day). Breast cancer risk appeared to be restricted to red wine consumption among these premenopausal women, for monthly consumption (p value for trend = 0.003) as well as for duration of consumption (p value for trend = 0.01). A relative risk of 3.96 (95% CI: 1.59-9.84) was found for a monthly consumption higher than 4 liters per month. This reinforces the notion of a particular sensitivity of young women to breast cancer in relation to alcohol consumption.
Alcohol and breast cancer mortality in a cohort study.

Breast Cancer Res Treat 2000 Nov;64(2):201-9 (ISSN: 0167-6806)

Jain MG; Ferrenc RG; Rehm JT; Bondy SJ; Rohan TE; Ashley MJ; Cohe JE; Miller AB [Related Authors]
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto, Canada. meera.jain@utoronto.ca.

Available epidemiological evidence indicates that alcohol intake is associated with a higher risk of developing breast cancer. Plausible biological pathways include its effect on levels of estrogens, cell membrane integrity and cell-to-cell communication, inhibition of DNA repair, and congener effect. The present study evaluated the impact of alcohol on mortality from breast cancer, an area with relatively few studies in the literature. The subjects were participants in a Canadian prospective cohort study, the National Breast Screening Study (NBSS). Women were enrolled in the cohort from 1980 to 1985 to evaluate the efficacy of mammographic screening. Information on usual diet and alcohol intake at enrolment and other epidemiological variables was collected by means of a mailed, self-administered questionnaire. Mortality from breast cancer during follow- up to 31 December, 1993 was ascertained by record linkage to the Canadian Mortality Data Base maintained by Statistics Canada. During the follow-up period of 1980-1993 (average 10.3 years), 223 deaths from breast cancer were identified for this analysis. The hazard ratios for the risk of death from breast cancer increased with intakes of total alcohol of 10-20 g/day (1.039, 1.009-1.071) and > 20 g/day ( 1.063, 1.029-1.098). This increase was contributed largely by the intake of wine, a 15% increase in risk at intakes higher than 10 g/day of alcohol from wine. Alcohol from spirits was associated with a small decrease in risk of death (hazard ratio at 10g/day, 0.945, 0.915-0.976). The effect of alcohol from beer was not significant in the two categories studied. Although our results were statistically significant, the magnitude of the change in risk was small.
Resveratrol inhibits human breast cancer cell growth and may mitigate the effect of linoleic acid, a potent breast cancer cell stimulator.

J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 2001 Apr;127(4):258-64 (ISSN: 0171-5216)

Nakagawa H; Kiyozuka Y; Uemura Y; Senzaki H; Shikata N; Hioki K; Tsubura A [Related Authors]
Department of Pathology II, Kansai Medical University, Moriguchi, Osaka 570-8506, Japan.

Resveratrol is a naturally occurring product found in grapes and wine. The effect of synthetic resveratrol on the growth of estrogen receptor (ER)-positive (KPL-1 and MCF-7) and -negative (MKL-F) human breast cancer cell lines was examined. Resveratrol at low concentrations caused cell proliferation in ER-positive lines (KPL-1, < or = 22 microM; MCF-7, < or = 4 microM) whereas at high concentrations (> or = 44 microM) it caused suppression of cell growth in all three cell lines examined. Growth suppression was due to apoptosis as seen by the appearance of a sub-G1 fraction. The apoptosis cascade up-regulated Bax and Bak protein, down-regulated Bcl-xL protein, and activated caspase-3. Resveratrol (52-74 microM) antagonized the effect of linoleic acid, a potent breast cancer cell stimulator, and suppressed the growth of both ER-positive and -negative cell lines. Thus, resveratrol could be a promising anticancer agent for both hormone-dependent and hormone-independent breast cancers, and may mitigate the growth stimulatory effect of linoleic acid in the Western-style diet.
A prospective study of major dietary patterns and the risk of breast cancer.

Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2001 Dec;10(12):1281-5 (ISSN: 1055-9965)

Terry P; Suzuki R; Hu FB; Wolk A [Related Authors]
Department of Medical Epidemiology, Karolinska Institute, SE-171 77 Stockholm, Sweden. paul.terry@mep.ki.se.

Our aim was to study the broader eating patterns that potentially reflect many dietary exposures working together in their association with breast cancer risk. Using data from a prospective study of 61,463 women with an average follow-up of 9.6 years and 1,328 incident cases of breast cancer, we conducted a factor analysis to identify major dietary patterns. Proportional hazards regression was used to estimate hazard ratios. We found no association between the "Western" dietary pattern (characterized by such foods as red and processed meats, refined grains, fat, and sweets) or the "healthy" dietary pattern (fruit and vegetables, fish and poultry, low-fat dairy, and whole grains) and breast cancer risk. However, women who were in the highest category of the "drinker" dietary pattern (wine, beer, and spirits) had a moderately increased risk (rate ratio = 1.27; 95% confidence interval, 1.06-1.52; P for trend, 0.002). The positive association was somewhat weaker among women below 50 years of age, a finding not inconsistent with chance. Our results are in agreement with the majority of previous studies that show alcohol consumption moderately increases the risk of breast cancer, but our results do not support any association between breast cancer risk and the "Western" or "healthy" dietary patterns.

Now, is that clear as mud?

- curious - 01-03-2003

thanks,
yep, clear as mud [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] Truthfully, I understood quite a bit of what was said, as research is an interest/hobby of mine.

Basically, they don't know which way, it depends on the person's own personal chemisty makeup, lifestyle, and gentic history.

Works for me, I ain't gonna let it bother me, if'n I am gonna get it, well that is life.

- Thomas - 01-04-2003

Consider who backed the research and you MIGHT know why it turned out so.

But really, if the studies mainly prove that preventing or getting disease is the result of genetics and environment, why do we agonize over our wine intake? No matter how little or how much of anything we eat or drink, our genes are our genes.

As JDM would likely say, just do what you want--none of us has a purchase on physical immortality anyway...