WineBoard
nutrional value of wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine & Health (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: nutrional value of wine (/thread-3228.html)

- motorcyclesue - 08-22-2002

Hello everyone

I am a new member. I have recently enjoyed sipping chardonnay. Can anyone give me any information related to the nutrional value of white wine versus red wine. It is my understanding red wine will help decrease cholesterol. I have recently started dieting (need to lose 30 pounds) but don't really want to give up the wine. Any suggestions on what I could give up during the day in order to allow for one to two glasses in the evening?

- Innkeeper - 08-22-2002

Hi Sue, and welcome to the Wine Board. You are really talking about health value, versus nutritional value of wine. Red wine is good for the heart, and recent studies have shown that white wines reduce cancer risks. Not sure how the oak in chardonnay affects that.

Wine does help you digest food, and that is the nutritional value of it.

- winoweenie - 08-22-2002

Hi MCSue and welcome to the board. Don't worry about the nutritional value, just give up an extra helping of mashed potatoes and enjoy the wine. WW

- zenda2 - 08-23-2002

Sue,
I'm also dieting but include wine in my 'Way of Eating'. I eat some low-glycemic fruits like melon and berries but I've cut out all fruit juices, you may want to consider that as part of your diet strategy. I've also cut out all sugar, potatoes. rice and flour products, any one or more of these may help you.

I'd recommend reading the latest Atkins book, perhaps talk to your doctor about it if this WoE interests you. If you've got 30 lbs to lose but would like to drink wine while dieting, Atkins plan has a lot going for it. For a quick overview:

http://atkinscenter.com/

- Thomas - 08-23-2002

Wine offers some trace minerals, and even a minuscule helping of vitamins, but there isn't enough of either to make a dent on the FDA daily allowance chart. What you will get are calories and carbohydrates, so you have to reduce intake of those from other foods (as in mashed potatoes that WW suggests).

The latest so-called medical discovery seems to point to reducing calories for lowering weight. It's an old recipe that has come around again: if you consume more calories than you expend, you gain weight, and if you expend more than you consume you lose weight. Quite simple, isn't it, until you try it...

By the way, for each 4 oz. glass of wine you will need to remove roughly 100 calories worth of food from your diet.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-23-2002).]

- Kcwhippet - 08-23-2002

There was a nutritional analyses done of wines recently using data from the USDA and other sources. It shows the average nutritional facts for red and white wine for a five ounce serving. Red has 102 calories and 2.4 grams of carbs. White has 96 calories and 1.1 grams of carbs. A three ounce serving of typical dessert wines has 130 calories and 10 grams of carbs. They all average about seven grams of sodium.

- motorcyclesue - 08-23-2002

Thank you all so much for your information. It will be very useful. Basically the diet I am on is very much like Atkin's however, with two starch servings per day. It was intersting as I was looking for information related to most fruits, and the carbohydrate content in one serving of frozen peaches is 14 grams. Think I'll have a glass of wine instead. Thanks again!!! If anyone can suggest any white wine other than a Chardonnay that would be better, I will try it.

- Thomas - 08-23-2002

You are in Rochester, NY; shame on you for not knowing about Finger Lakes white wines!!!

Seriously, look for Dry Riesling from almost any Finger Lakes producer. You have a producer not far from you--in Fairport, NY, on Turk Hill Road; its name is Casa Larga. The winery produces a fine Viognier (white wine again) as well as other good wines. Take a short ride there, or look for their wines at Century Liquors, and say hello to Michael, Lorraine and Jim for me--tell them the once- proprietor of Cana Vineyards sends his regards.