WineBoard
WINE & ALLERGY TO SULFITES - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine & Health (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: WINE & ALLERGY TO SULFITES (/thread-3197.html)

- Kristy - 10-04-2000

Does anyone know if there are wines made without the Sulfites? And if so, are they any good? Where can this type of product be purchased? I've heard that possible Trader Joes carries something like this?
What do you wine connoisseurs do to avoid this problem, when you love wine, but the wine doesn't love you? HELP!

- winepoppi - 10-04-2000

Kristy, at the top of the page, where it gives you the opportunity to view previous subjects, scroll down to subjects this year. You will find this subject discussed on June 15th of this year.

- Botafogo - 10-04-2000

On a more lighthearted note but with solid scientific backing, this is from our newsletter of last June:

What.....happened to......him, Bones?
He died of Sulfite depravation, Jim

So you don’t want to ingest any Sulfites, eh, Mr. Natural? Well here’s some sound scientific advice from someone who not only attended and passed High School Chemistry but went on to earn a Master of Science in Public Health Microbiology, WINE EXPO-ista Linda Olsen Weber, R.E.H.S., M.S.:

“Are you CRAZY?!?!? We need these chemicals. Your body contains about 6 ounces of sulfur, mostly in amino acids, which combine to make proteins, which in turn combine to make all sorts of body parts- - -Skin, hair, nails and connective tissues. Sulfur is also a part of insulin, heparin and polysaccharides in the matrices of your cartilage, bones and teeth. You NEED to consume sulfur to replenish the supply to your body. Sources include meat, legumes, cabbage, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, garlic and - - - you guessed it - - - wine and beer! What do you smell when you chop garlic? Diallyl disulfide. Chives, leeks and onions? Other disulfides. And when you cook cabbage? Hydrogen sulfide, methyl sulfide and trisulfides. And when (pardon my French) you fart? You guessed it - - more sulfur byproducts! If you’re still bothered by the idea of sulfur products in your wine (you’re on your own with garlic), aerate the wine - - - pour it into another container before serving. This will allow excess sulfur dioxide to escape, but you may lose some good aromas as well. I think I’ll pour mine directly from the bottle to my glass, Bon appetit!” Thank you, Linda! Now, for those of you attributing all manner of symptoms such as hives, sinus, migraine and flushing of the skin to sulfites, these are in fact HISTAMINE reactions and are caused by pigments, tannins and the effect of fermenting and aging in wooden barrels. Give us a call and we will fax or e-mail you a full-page info sheet on what causes these reactions and commonsense ways to avoid them (most of which do not involve giving up drinking wine!)

Cheers, Roberto

- Thomas - 10-07-2000

Kristy, I do not doubt you but I do know that far too many people believe they are allergic to sulfites without ever getting a medical opinion on the matter. So before going into a discussion about your allergy to sulfites I would like to know: have you a medical diagnosis?

- Innkeeper - 10-07-2000

Lest we wear out the plow, Kristy, there is an informative, current, and interesting string on the subject further down the Wine Board under the heading Wine Without A Category.

- winoweenie - 10-07-2000

HOLY-MOLY PATOOTIE, DO WE HAVE TO HAVE THIS SAME DUMB SUBJECT ON TWO THREADS???????? winoweenie

- ChefMax - 10-12-2000

I realize some people are hung up on this "sulfites" business. Just an FYI- whatever you do, don't bother trying Amity Eco- wine!! I think it was a pinot I tried and it was awful! S-U-L-F-U-R! If you happen to like the aroma of rotten eggs, here's one for you!

- mrdutton - 10-12-2000

Well, that match like smell and taste coming from the wine is indicative of a bad bottle, not necessarily a bad wine.

Get another bottle, from another store/source and try it again. If it still tastes the same, then its bad wine and just not a bad bottle. Also, make sure you complain to the managment of the store where you bought that bad bottle. They should know about it. If they are truely concerned about you as a customer, then they should also compensate you for the trouble.

(I've never tried the stuff, to be honest with you. So, I don't really know if it is any good or not.)

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 10-12-2000).]

- ChefMax - 10-13-2000

Yeah, I agree with the idea of a bad bottle but my question is, if this wine truly contains NO sulfites, how can it ever be a GOOD bottle unless it is consumed immediately?

- Thomas - 10-14-2000

I am trying to understand why a wine that claims to include little or no sulfites would smell sulfurous. Enlighten me.