WineBoard
Red wine for health - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine & Health (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Red wine for health (/thread-3178.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- donnaclif - 06-04-2009

I have been hearing a lot about red wine being very good for health,is it a myth or is it scientifically proven?And what about white wine is it healthy too?

- wondersofwine - 06-04-2009

Both red and white wine in moderation have some health benefits. Excess drinking of course has negative impact on the health, including damage to the liver. Some studies show that drinking wine increases the risk of breast cancer for women. If you request "Show all topics" in this thread you can read about scientific studies on wine and health. One thread to look at is "health benefits from a glass a day" dated 07-02-2004.

- donnaclif - 06-08-2009

Nice to know that because more than often i drunk my self crazy all the while thinking that it will not harm me.i thought since i am not taking any of those hard drinks.so i am safe even if i drink red wine to get heavily drunk.

But it seems moderate drinking and that too one glass at a time is beneficial.
Thanks mate.

- wondersofwine - 06-09-2009

Your welcome.

- whiner529 - 08-06-2009

The conventional wisdom that I've heard through the years is that a glass of red wine a day will relieve your stress and help you live a bit longer. I've heard octogenarians over the years say the same thing.

[This message has been edited by team (edited 01-06-2010).]

- trisobi - 08-12-2009

Hello, one glass of red wine is really good for your health. White is lighter, good drink for whole night party [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by team (edited 01-06-2010).]

- donnaclif - 08-12-2009

I have been reading a lot about Red wine, and i found out that is a particularly rich source of antioxidants flavonoid phenolics, particularly resveratrol and the flavonoids. Resveratrol, found in grape skins and seeds, increases HDL cholesterol and prevent blood clotting. Flavonoids, on the other hand, exhibit antioxidant properties helping prevent blood clots and plaques formation in arteries.

[This message has been edited by donnaclif (edited 08-12-2009).]

- Thomas - 08-12-2009

donnacliff,

Any dark fruit or vegetable (blueberries, beets,) also offer high doses of antioxidants. In fact, since we eat the skins and we don't mess with the strength of the antioxidants in them, they probably are better for our heart--ounce for ounce--than wine. The last study I read showed that it would take dozens of bottles of wine each day to amass the resveratrol necessary to protect us. A good goal, but a pyrrhic victory, should we succeed at meeting it.

Wine is not health food.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-12-2009).]

- andrawes76 - 08-24-2009

Foodie, my uncle is somewhat of a mad scientist in CT. He tells me it takes 17-20 glasses of Syrah or Zinfandel to hit the resveratrol recommended daily allowance. I would think wine has more effect as a blood thinner than an LDL bully.

- Thomas - 08-24-2009

PW, your uncle over estimates the resveratrol levels in wine.

It's more like 17-20 bottles to meet what supplements provide.

- andrawes76 - 08-25-2009

Resveratrol fortified wine. Has it been made? You can't really call a wine "healthy wine" can you?

- Thomas - 08-25-2009

If anyone drinks wine just for his or her health, that person misses the essence of the product's true appeal and probably ought to just go to the health food store and buy the supplements.

And no, by law, a wine producer can't make any health claims about the product. It might hurt the sensibilities of the government nannies...

- Kcwhippet - 08-25-2009

.....and those sensibilities have become increasingly weirder over the past eight months.

- Brom - 08-27-2009

It is not only the government who thinks putting claims of health benefits on alcoholic beverages would be a bad idea.

I think far more harm would come from allowing such claims than the amount of benefit that could possibly accrue.

However, I do believe that nudity on labels should be permitted.

- TheEngineer - 08-27-2009

Welcome back Brom!

It's funny you mention that. I was just looking at a Marilyn Merlot Magnum that had a cover over a nude of Marilyn on the front label.

- winoweenie - 08-28-2009

Just git paroled there Bromski? Glad to see you're back. WW

- winesecrets - 11-24-2009

I'm no doctor and I'm quite old for drinking wine but it's all I do..., all in moderation of course. So I think as long as we don't drink in excess and couple it with the right amount of diet, there's a long, happy and healthy life ahead all of us.

[This message has been edited by Personal Wine (edited 11-24-2009).]

- andrawes76 - 11-24-2009

Well if they can only figure out a way to make wines not elevate liver enzyme levels, that would be ideal. I drink wine daily, and although not for health, I believe the spirituality of beverage consumption helps my mojo...

- Thomas - 11-24-2009

You could have your liver removed...just like you excise advertising links [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- andrawes76 - 11-24-2009

I've got one on hold awaiting me in China...