WineBoard
Wine merchants - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Biz/Investment (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Wine merchants (/thread-3085.html)

- Paul Taylor - 11-01-2005

I am trying to send a case of wine as a wedding present to a friend in Atlanta but am having trouble finding anyone with a decent wine list will deliver there. I am trying to do it from England so if anyone knows of a reputable merchant who delivers to Georgia, could you let me know, please. Thanks

- Drew - 11-01-2005

Couple of problems...Georgia prohibits in State shipments of alcohol. The other issue is an out of country customer. One of our forum member couples, dananne, is from Atlanta and maybe they could suggest a store that would take your order and payment method and deliver the wine to your friend if they offer local delivery.

Drew

States where direct shipping is illegal: Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland,

Mississippi, Montana, New York, North Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Virginia.

Next, the fun category. Wine shipments in these states are not only illegal, but felonies: Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, and Tennessee.

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 11-01-2005).]

- lucy_presley - 11-01-2005

Hello. This is "Mrs. Dananne." Dananne may add to this, but here is my ten cents.

Direct shipping is a bit complicated in Georgia. There are no wine merchants who can ship to someone in Georgia, regardless of where the merchant is located. The merchant could be next door to your friend and would not be able to ship the wine.

However, wineries that do not have a distributor in Georgia are permitted to ship a certain amount of wine to consumers in Georgia every year if they pay a nominal fee to do so. As a result, many wineries will ship directly to Georgia customers. Thus, if you want to ship wine from a U.S. winery to your friends in Georgia, you may be able to do that, but it is on a winery by winery basis.

If you want to send wine from outside the U.S., it is unlikely that the winery has paid the required state fee to Georgia, and you would have to deal with U.S. Customs too. So I wouldn't bother with that.

There are plenty of online wine merchants out there perfectly willing to give the State of Georgia the proverbial middle finger, who will ship to Georgia in spite of the laws against it. I'm just not willing to out them on a public message board. More power to them!

You might be able to talk a local wine shop into putting together something for you, but they would probably require that your friend pick the gift up. If you are interested in that, I can give you some contact information for a few wine shops in town.

[This message has been edited by lucy_presley (edited 11-01-2005).]

- winoweenie - 11-01-2005

Lucy has given your the best info. If you contact one of the many fine wine merchants in Atlanta they will be more than helpful in getting your friend some juice. WW

- wondersofwine - 11-02-2005

To update Drew's list--North Carolina now allows wineries to ship to customers in NC if the winery has registered with the state control board and paid a fee. I have received shipments from Sea Smoke, Saintsbury and Chehalem. I believe it's still illegal to order from a retail shop or internet retailer in Chicago, New York, etc. and have them ship it to NC.