WineBoard
looking to invest need help - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Biz/Investment (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: looking to invest need help (/thread-3019.html)

- RTA24 - 11-11-2001

I am 24 and looking for 3-5 good buys that will only get better in time. I have 45$-65$ to spend on up to five good wines. If they are great and cheap (also a good investment) thats great to. thanks

- winoweenie - 11-12-2001

Hi RTA24 and welcome to the board. We all join you in the hunt. Are you talking 45-65 per bottle or for the 3? Never-mind as wine is not a commodity but a vehicle to enhace ones life and enjoy. WW

- Thomas - 11-12-2001

Invest in the market; drink wine...

- RTA24 - 11-12-2001

I would like to thank both foodie,and winoweene for the small amount but helpful non the less, how you might ask, well in the sence that I will never ask a qustion on those grounds again. Foodie I did notice that you are from hammensport. My father lives in bath and I live in Rochester, small world.

- Kcwhippet - 11-13-2001

If you truly want to invest in wines, you should start with a narrow focus - first growth Bordeaux or top CA Cabs from stellar vintages. Be prepared to spend from about $100 to over $500 per bottle, and buy only in case lots. Then you must have impeccable storage facilities and at least 10 years time to wait for the wines to mature. So, WW and foodie were really offering sound advice. Your $45 - $65 will buy one bottle of very good wine to drink in a few years time, not an investment vehicle.

- winoweenie - 11-13-2001

RTA24 sorry that you took what I perceived to be a good answer to a nebulous question. Undoubtledly you havew read an article somewhere about the incredible appreciation of say the 82 Bordeauxs and think this is where the wine biz is...'taint so young man. As Foodie said, invest in the market and until you have a handle on what you like in wine styles, buy the stuff to drink. The vineyard owners have taken all the wheat out of their product and for the few speculators who are purchasing 2000 futures, have left them holding bags of chaff. I'll take my chances on the 1st growths being released in a couple of years at LESS than the futures price, and let my money earn a lil' interest in the meanwhiles. Jes' tryin to be helpful. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 11-13-2001).]

- Thomas - 11-13-2001

RTA24: Bath and Rochester! 'tis a small world.

I meant what I said about investing in the market and drinking wine. Wine is the absolute worse way to try to make some money. There is too much to have to know and too little return on the investment.

Wine is neither art nor real estate; it is food. Do we invest in our pork chops?

- barnesy - 11-13-2001

If you invest in farm commodities, you invest in food...

Barnesy

- Innkeeper - 11-13-2001

The two gentlemen with which you would not up with put, are both experianced and knowledgeable professionals. We are very sorry you did not get the answer you wanted. We sincerely hope you do not find somebody who will give you the answer you want to get, and then take you to the cleaners.

- mrdutton - 11-13-2001

I'd risk investing in commodities before I'd invest in wine futures.

However, I know nothing about the comodities market and, therefore, stay away from it. 'Cause as I understand it, one wrong move in commodities and you can wipe yourself out very quickly.

- barnesy - 11-14-2001

Its very risky, plus you are banking on someone having disaster. Crops wiped out, prices go up, you make money. Its kind of morbid. I'll stick with investing in success.

Barnesy

- RTA24 - 11-16-2001

Thanks to you all, and more qustions will come. Thanks again.

- zenda2 - 11-16-2001

FWIW, I worked for 10 years on the trading floor of a commodities exchange, trading wheat. Our motto was 'if you want to make a small fortune in the commodities bidness, start with a large fortune and work your way down'. It was a fun way to make a living, but before you start take a lot of photo's while you still have some hair and a decent digestive system. 'Cause those won't last.

- mrdutton - 11-16-2001

Zenda, I've heard the same quote concerning the operation of a vineyard/winery. Start with a large fortune and work yourself to the bones all the way down to a small fortune...........