WineBoard
Damn the man - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine and Politics (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Damn the man (/thread-2973.html)

- barnesy - 02-05-2002

Oregon legislature is currently proposing upping the tax on wine and beer to help with its budget short fall. The other threat is to "borrow" money from the education endowment. So it sounds like consumers will screwed, but that didn't stop the state from sending fat kicker checks to everyone last summer. Too bad a tax on beer is regressive and will mainly affect those at the lower incomes. Wine costs enough as is, why should a small group of consumers foot the bill for the screwups in Salem.

Barnesy

- winoweenie - 02-06-2002

They've learned from their peers in Washington (DC ) WW

- TINAJ - 02-06-2002

As a fellow Oregonian, I couldn't agree more. They were predicting budget shortfalls BEFORE we got those "fat kicker checks"--doesn't make any sense.

As a first time poster, I want to say what a wonderful time I have had "lurking" around this board for the past few months. I have learned a lot!

I've been doing a lot of tasting in the area at local wineries and would like to branch out. Barnsey, do you have any favorite wine shops in the area? I would like to start trying some French wines, especially from the Rhone region.

- barnesy - 02-07-2002

Two that I will recommend.

My favorite and the one that gets the vast majority of my money is E&R Wine on Macadam in Portland...would be about a 30-40 minute drive for you, but well worth it. Ed and Richard are the proprietors and they always take great care of me. They have free tastings every saturday from 12-5. Their specialty is Italian wine but they have a wonderful selection of french, including Rhone wines. Look for the ones imported by Kermit Lynch.

One that is a bit closer, is the Fred Meyers in Tualatin. Mike, the steward, is a huge Rhone fan and offers many at great prices.

Drop me an Email if you have any more questions.

Barnesy

[This message has been edited by barnesy (edited 02-07-2002).]

- TINAJ - 02-11-2002

Barnsey, thank you for the advice. Made it to E&R on Sat. A very nice bunch of helpful people. We tasted some wine and purchased a few bottles (one Rhone imported by Kermit Lynch as you recommended). I'll let you know how it is.

Of course, we couldn't stop there, so on the way home we also stopped at Rex Hill, Dundee Springs (first time tasting there), and Argyle. Needless to say, we didn't get much done on the weekend to do list, but had a great time avoiding it.

- barnesy - 02-11-2002

I don't care for rex hill much. Dundee springs is alright, but Argyle is certainly wonderful. If your in town at an Albertson's, check their disco wine areas for the 1988 Extended Tirage bottling from Argyle. Its selling for around $12, originally around $30.

Barnesy

- TINAJ - 02-13-2002

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the wineries. I always try to give Rex Hill "another chance", but it comes up disappointing every time (especially in the QPR area). Thanks for the tip on the extended tirage--we had the 1989 at our wedding. If you are in the area, Argyle has some 1.5 L bottles of their 1996 Reserve Chardonay on sale for $33.00 (they were sold out, but found some in their storage). I am not a chardonay fan, but this was really good. (Pardon the lack of descriptives, something I am working on but haven't yet mastered.) Any way, if you mosey out this way, something to keep in mind.