WineBoard
Some bad legislation coming? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine and Politics (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Some bad legislation coming? (/thread-2948.html)

- dananne - 11-07-2002

Had the following content sent to me in an e-mail. Anyone know anything more about this? Doesn't sound good . . .

Stealth bill could crush US wine imports If you live in the United States (or even if you don't) and love quality wines from around the world, please take special care to read today's article all the way through. It's a little complicated, but worth reading: This may be one of the most important wine-consumer issues of the year. While many political observers are contemplating the broad policy implications of yesterday's midterm U.S. Congressional elections, experts in the wine-import business are much more worried about the progress of a narrowly focused piece of legislation that is moving through Congress with little public attention.
Designated HR5385 and sponsored by Illinois Republican Rep. Phil Crane, this legislation is
dryly titled "The Miscellaneous Trade and Technical Corrections Act of 2002." It appears to be
one of the many "housekeeping" bills that sail through Congress without much notice.
But I am reliably informed that a little-noticed provision in this bill has the potential to
seriously jeopardize the access of U.S. consumers to quality artisanal wines from small
producers in Europe and the rest of the world. By dramatically increasing the regulatory red
tape that U.S. wine importers would need to untangle in order to bring the wines of small
producers to market, HR5385 could keep many artisanal wines off the market - and in the process
damage or even destroy some of the nation's top small-business wine importers.
According to an E-mail alert circulated by The Rare Wine Co., a respected wine shop in Sonoma,
Calif., "HR5385's intended purpose is to get the European Community to remove import
restrictions on American wines. However, it would potentially do much more than that. ... it
would require American importers to get special wine quality certifications from foreign
governments, including a chemical analysis. The repercussions of these requirements would be
devastating to the fine wine market."
The problem, Rare Wine says, is this: "Not only would they create a mountain of new red tape
which many small importers are not equipped to deal with, it would create nationwide monopolies
for imported wines ... because the only importers who would have access to the required
certifications would be those who buy directly from the producer. Importers who buy on the open
market in Europe - who represent a huge part of the supply of sought-after, scarce wines - would
find it impossible to get their wines into the U.S."
My friend David Schildknecht, who works with a fine Cincinnati-based importer that brings in
quite a few of the quality wines of value that I review in these pages, told me that he
considers this "a very nasty bit of legislation sneaking in under our radar, quite likely to
become Federal law, and seriously jeopardizing the livelihood of small importers ... "
"I cannot at this point tell you to precisely what standards imported wines will be held,"
Schildknecht said. "It is enough to know that foreign governments will be asked to certify for
each wine that is imported that it has met certain American standards. The cost and cumbersome
mechanics alone would threaten the importation of small lots of wine from family growers."
Rare Wine Co. agrees, adding, "Overnight, an important segment of the wine trade would die. Many
small importers would be put out of business. Availability of scarce wines would be vaporized.
Due to a drying up of supply and a lack of competition, there would be enormous upward pressure
on prices. Consumers and small importers and merchants would all lose, while a few big importers
would benefit.
"We share the desire of American wine producers who want to open world markets for their wines.
But we're sure there are other ways of achieving this goal without sacrificing the interests of
American wine consumers and businesses."
Behind the scenes, all this sound and fury appears to stem from power politics being played
between the European Union and the U.S. In fact, the proposed "special wine quality
certifications from foreign governments, including a chemical analysis" simply reflect the EU's
already existing quality standards for wines imported to Europe.
But heretofore, those standards have not been enforced against American wines, under a specific
"derogation" that has exempted U.S. wines from the requirements as a way to encourage the U.S.
to negotiate toward an agreement on wine labeling and other wine-regulatory issues. Some
knowledgeable observers suggest that this bill may be intended as a positioning tool or
bargaining chip in these negotiations.
But international power politics offer little comfort to consumers, or small importers, who see
a real possibility of being crushed by larger forces.
Rare Wine Co. puts it bluntly: "The bill has already passed the House and is expected to sail
through the Senate this month, since there has been no opposition to date. Take advantage of any
contacts you may have in Washington, particularly in the Senate, and urgently get the word out
that this is a bad bill. Please contact your Senators."
I agree. A flood of E-mails, letters and phone calls to Senators - particularly from the
taxpaying, voting citizens who they represent - can't hurt and might help. Your note doesn't
have to be long or fancy. Feel free to borrow the following:
"I am strongly opposed to the Wine Import Provisions in the trade bill HR 5385 (the
Miscellaneous Trade and Technical Corrections Act of 2002), which is currently in the Senate
Finance Committee, because its Section 2003 is anti-consumer and anti-trade and will hurt small
U.S. importers. Please stand against this provision, and please let me know that you will do so."

To get the name, E-mail address and telephone number of your Senators, check
http://www.senate.gov/index.htm.

- ShortWiner - 11-08-2002

I got this, too. Was going to ask the same question. Anyone know how serious this is?

- Botafogo - 11-08-2002

It is the WORST such bill EVER. I spent a good while talking with Matt Kramer about the central thrust of the bill which is to make imported wines "comply with the standards and practices of American wines", surely the worst idea in the history of wine but the net effect would be to stop all parallel imports. BAD!

Roberto

- zenda2 - 11-08-2002

Already wrote my senators, suggest everyone do the same, try to make some noise.