WineBoard
Here they come again - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine and Politics (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Here they come again (/thread-2947.html)

- Kcwhippet - 03-08-2004

Anyone else seen this yet?

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040305/dcf032_1.html

- Bucko - 03-08-2004

Juanita Duggan is an idiot.......

- Thomas - 03-08-2004

No argument there, Bucko. But she is an idiot who knows how to work the press. Unfortunately, the other side doesn't do as good a job.

Just look at the way the propaganda has been framed. Instead of talking about the issue--shipping WINE across state lines--the report harps on the possibility that ALL alcohol controls will be completely removed so that alcohol producers can sell directly to minors, which they contend is their main aim. The report also claims (misclaims, actually) that the three tier system protects consumers;the system protects wholesalers, who do nothing for the consumer except to control price and availability. And, the report claims that taxes are also controlled through the three tier system. Maybe so, but that need not be the system, if taxes were controlled at the source.

NY says it best in its ruling that opening wine shipping regulations need not slice a hole in the 21st Amendment--only adjust an injustice.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 03-08-2004).]

- Kcwhippet - 03-08-2004

Notice, too, that this isn't a news item. It's a press release from the Michigan Beer and Wine Wholesalers Association. It's obvious who's trying to protect what interests.

- sedhed - 03-08-2004

I've been a Public Defender since 1985 in three different Criminal Circuits. In all those years I never saw a case where a winery or out of state retailer was charged for selling alcohol to a minor. However, there are literally thousands of cases of in state retailers caught selling alcohol to minors since 1985. Those are mostly cases where the 7/11[we call them stop and robb stores] type stores sell beer or wine to minors without checking ID.

[This message has been edited by sedhed (edited 03-08-2004).]

[This message has been edited by sedhed (edited 03-09-2004).]

- winoweenie - 03-08-2004

Great point Sedsie. If you have time post this on " Free the Grapes" web-site. WW

- GrapeVine - 03-12-2004

I wish they would stop this nonsense! I'm new to the industry... I live in TEXAS and they have joined the bandwagon on this darn issue.

Possible Supreme Court issues are heating up discussions in our big ole state. Makes me nervous to say the least.

I'm a new wine consultant for a home party company that delivers boutique wines to consumers direct from the winery from across our borders from all across the world. We have limited supply varieties and this makes for great sales to my customers at the parties.

I enjoy what I do - am still a big novice but am learning alot - even from the customers!

We have to watch our DRY areas here in Texas but that is easy because I requested and received a list of them from Austin. (TABC) Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission.

If they change the law back on no direct shipping... I'm out of an income!

I totally support Out-Of-State shipping!
I have too!

Our states wholesalers want to keep Texas Wineries with the monopoly... Texans want a choice...but we don't get to voice our opinions! They say they want to protect minors from getting wines online... HA! They want our taxes and to control everyone!

Just my 2 cents!

- winoweenie - 03-12-2004

The wholesalers, the Churchs', the MADD, SADD, and every other DD groups are the obstacles. In Arizona, like Texas, we've forced the issue and rather than get their whole emppire bloodied, the laws now allow out-of-state shipping, with restrictions. Hot-Dang! WW

- Kcwhippet - 03-12-2004

As if shipping prohibitions ever stopped you from getting your wine, WW.

- winoweenie - 03-13-2004

I don't have to go to San Diego and load them boxes no more!!! WW(giggle,snort, hehe)