WineBoard
Italian Food Night - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Italian Food Night (/thread-293.html)

- VaporAction - 01-08-2004

Okay I'm having Italian food for my family dinner. I love wine but absolutely HATE trying to find new wines because I never pick any we like. None of us like dry, woodsy tasting wines.

Now saying that what would be good inexpensive wine to serve with chicken parmesan and lasagna?

VaporAction

- jackl - 01-08-2004

For your Italian night why not go with an Italian wine? One I've had recently was a wine called Ridello produced by Rubino. These two words will be on the label with 'Ridello' being at the top. It's not what I would consider a fussy or fancy wine, just good drinking. It has lots of fresh fruit flavors and good structure so it will pair with any hardy foods (including your chicken parmesan). I'm sure others will have some good ideas, so stay tuned.

- wondersofwine - 01-08-2004

Valpolicella often tastes less dry than a Chianti or Barbera. Another possibility is a Lambrusco (Reunite is the most commonly found Lambrusco but there are other producers who make a better quality Lambrusco if you can find one.)

- wineguruchgo - 01-10-2004

I hate to disagree with the other board memebers but I have to say that if you don't like "woodsy" wines then you aren't going to like many of the "old world wines" from France, Italy or Spain. All of these wines are pretty "earthy". I would say, for now, to stick with California or Australian wines. These taste more like fruit and less like dirt.

If you want to explore Italy, I would follow WW's advice for the lambrusco, dolcetto or pinot noir from Italy.

JMHO

- Drew - 01-11-2004

Don't assume that all wines from Europe are made in the "old world style", they're not, especially many,(thank God not all!) imported to the USA where the general population demands the international style of big fruit, non complex, alcohol and Wood (oak) influence. I think the "woodsy" taste you're describing is this international style that has been subjected to over oaking in production. These types of wines are not food friendly, imho. I would suggest an Italian Primitivo, under $10 (A-Mano, go to http://marketfinewine.com/ic/131507 to see label picture) or a light inexpensive Pinot Noir like HRM Rex Goliath (go to http://wimbledonwine.com/wineInfoTemplate.asp?BrandID=9&WinesID=43 to see picture or Castle Rock,(go to see picture http://www.solanocellars.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1096) (both under $10) from California. Also develop a relationship with a reputable wine shop in your area that can help you discover good wines to your liking.

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 01-11-2004).]

- wineguruchgo - 01-11-2004

Drew I couldn't disagree with you more. I think the earthy, old world style wines are far better with food than the fruit bombs out of California.

Give me a beautiful Bordeaux or Brunello with food anyday. I'll save the US wines for dessert!

- Kcwhippet - 01-11-2004

WGC, I don't understand how you can make such a statement that the old world wines are better with food than CA wines. With a big, marbled, grilled rib eye steak, served with garlic mashed potatoes, there is no old world wine that can pair better than a big, young Napa Cabernet Sauvignon. It all depends on with what food you're pairing the wine. Traditional old world meals prepared in the traditional old world styles will more than naturally pair better with traditional old world wines, and I appreciate those. However, the US of A is a country that's come far from the old traditions, and has created a whole new culinary style that's diverging from the traditional styles. So much of it is now about big flavors, and those demand the big wines. Being ITB, I would think you'd be aware of that trend.

- Thomas - 01-11-2004

I agree with some of what has been posted; and I disagree with some.

I completely agree with Drew that over-oaking is a New World phenomenon; while the Old World uses oak, it does not (generally) overuse it, unless it aspires to the so-called International Style. I prefer New World woody wines without food--actually, I don't prefer them much at all.

As for fruit forward wines: that is both a New and Old World tradition but again, New World takes it to another level, extracting as much as is possible from a grape so as to obliterate (in my opinion) other nuances. These wines, too, are problematic with food, unless the food is powerful, as KC mentions.

It is a matter of preference and, like KC, I prefer Old World wines with Old World style cooking. Unlike KC, I shy away from much of what I taste as bombastic New World styles--in wine and in cooking.

- Drew - 01-11-2004

wineguru, I think you misunderstood me. What I'm saying is the "woodsy" flavors that vaporaction is objecting to is not the old world nuances of European wines,(Terroir), but that of the use of excessive oak treatment in the barrel. I too believe the old world style is much more food friendly than the international style, particularly with the cuisine of that country. I think we're just defining the term "woodsy", as vaporaction describes it, in two different ways.

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 01-11-2004).]

- VaporAction - 01-14-2004

Thanks everyone for their input. I guess I should have been more specific when I referred to "woodsy" tasting wines. I don't mind the flavoring if it's not overpowering and giving the impression that I'm drinking fermented tree bark

- wineguruchgo - 01-23-2004

Drew - now we are on the same page.

It's really hard sometimes to figure out what a person is tasting.

Many times people will call old world wines woodsy or dirty because of the earth factor.

KC - taste in wine is like taste in color. There is no right or wrong answer. Yes, I am ITB, yet it's not what I prefer. More often than not you will hear out of the mouths of the wineries in CA that a wine is Burgundian in style. Wineries are trying to be French in style. I think that's part of Mondavi's problem. They are trying to be something instead of being themselves. If you read the spectator issue with Robert on the front you will read that he is not pleased where son Tim is/has taken his winery.

So long as we all keep drinking the world will be at peace!

- Thomas - 01-23-2004

"They are trying to be something instead of being themselves."

wineguru, you said a mouthful there. I have been hammering home that message in my classes for years. Never will understand (well, I understand--just don't agree with it) why a producer would want us to drink his/her wine because it is a lot like someone else's wine.

The last wine pourer at a tasting who said to me that his Gewurztraminer had been produced in the Alsatian style was sorry he ever met me, especially after I tasted the wine to find that it had been produced in a style I had never tasted from Alsace...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-23-2004).]

- wineguruchgo - 01-24-2004

Foodie we all know why they do it. There is a certain comfort level for consumers to buy something new that will remind them of something they like.

Yet! If there isn't experimentation and the exploration of something new we wouldn't have the bikini!

I do feel sorry for the person who was equating a wine to Alsace if it wasn't reminicent of the region. I can understand someone lumping a wine into Burgandy - but not Alsace!

I wish the wine reps would just say "they made it, it's theirs and it's wonderful". There are very few dog wines out there, comparatively speaking,in each catagory. Once a winery begins to "own it" they will sell more!