WineBoard
how can i ship wine from one state to another - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine and Politics (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: how can i ship wine from one state to another (/thread-2915.html)

- smurffan62679 - 11-28-2001

I just returned from a trip to France as part of my schooling and i bought back a hard to find bottle of Champagne for a friend. The problem is I live in Pennsylvania and he lives in Oregon. How am I gonna get to him without damaging the bottle and risk of getting caught?

- cpurvis - 11-28-2001

smurf, I (& others on this Board) support basic civil disobedience for situations such as yours where you face archaic state laws. Pad the bottle VERY WELL & send it. Padding a box within a box wouldn't be a bad idea.

Won't bore you w/ the details, but many state wine laws make as much since now as the old 'stop the truck at the RR crossing & fire the shotgun in the air once before proceeding across' laws recently found on the books in the deep South.

cp

- Thomas - 11-28-2001

I doubt that a well-packed bottle will get caught in the police web...

- zenda2 - 11-28-2001

Amongst farmers with wild dog problems I've heard of the 3 S's...shoot, shovel and shut up. But you could amend that to be shop, ship, and shut up without too much trouble.

- Innkeeper - 11-28-2001

It is legal to ship into Oregon. It isn't legal to ship out of Pennsylvania (guess they want to keep it all home). PA winemakers just love this arrangement. Wrap it in a cube shaped box with foam pop corn on bottom, all sides, and top. Secure with strapping tape. Bring it to UPS and identify it as "glassware." Do not put it in a box shaped like a wine bottle, even remotely.

- Arlie - 12-02-2001

I am a little miffed at the new Texas wine law that will not allow a winery to ship to an individual....even an individual in a wet county. I have no aversion to shipping wine in a covert fashion, but need a little help with the details. In what type container would my cousin in Lubbock, Texas ship two cases of Johannisberg Rieesling to East Texas without it arriving as a wet package of glass crystals?

- hotwine - 12-02-2001

The only container I've found that works with these goofy laws is the jumpseat of my F150.

- Arlie - 12-02-2001

Even though I get pretty good mileage on my f350 power stroke diesel, I don't want to drive over 300 miles for a couple of cases of wine.

- winoweenie - 12-03-2001

Arlie, welcome to the board. The only shipper that really works for over a couple of bottles are the case shippers that wineries and wine shops use to ship. To make sure the UPS police don' confiscate your contraband, take it to one of the UPS contract shippers that don't care what they ship as long as they get their cut. I've used this method successfully in shipping to my friends in Georgia and Florida, both felony states. WW