WineBoard
NEVADA UPDATE - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine and Politics (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: NEVADA UPDATE (/thread-2914.html)

- Jerry D Mead - 05-06-1999

SB428, the Nevada personal importation bill, which would permit up to 12 cases per person, is a step closer to becoming law. Don't want to count chickens prior to hatching or any of that, but bill received unanimous support in Senate Commerce committee (save for one abstention) and appears to be passing in Assembly Taxation Committee, where all the questions were friendly toward the bill and the lobbiest who could have gummed up the works...didn't.

If Senator Mike Schneider's (D-Las Vegas) bill passes, Nevada will have the model personal importation law for other states to adopt...it collects excise taxes from suppliers (good for the state), but without large fees, tariffs or licenses to either consumers or suppliers (good for both). Wholesalers will be protected in that importation is for "personal consumption only," so retailers and restaurants must still buy through 3-tier...and if supplier sells more than 25 cases per annum in state, must be willing to appoint wholesaler.

It seems everyone's interests are looked after.

The Wine Curmudgeon

- Thomas - 05-06-1999

Everyone's interest but those in Nevada who might drink and buy more than 12 cases a year.

Laws like this, though seemingly necessary, can always be changed by another group of legislators and more lobbying. But I guess you take what you can get.

It's the Constitution issue in Texas that has my interest. Texas has to lose that one in order for all of us to start seeing our rights protected in this area.

- Jerry D Mead - 05-06-1999

Foodie...As you know, I've been championing a court solution for nearly three decades and agree with you totally re the US Supremes needing to be the final arbitor here.

But one doesn't get to that top court overnight (even assuming the Texas win), and just as I came up with the concept of reciprocity 15 or so years ago, which has led to the dozen or so states currently operating thereunder, "personal importation" bills are just another way to give consumers some of the rights they deserve NOW, instead of having to wait.

Also, just as the bad folks could come back and take away what has been granted, so could the good politicians (the ones on the right side of this issue)come back with an even more liberal version.

And this would sure beat the hell out of Kentucky, Georgia, Florida, Indiana, Texas, Arizona, etc....

It's even better than Louisiana, and in some ways California. California has no quantity limits, but it is restricted to specifically reciprocal states.

JDM

- Thomas - 05-07-1999

I understand completely, Curm. Just wanted everyone else to keep their eyes on Texas. And I do hope it makes it to the Supreme Court; wine or lose, the issue needs a definitive Constitutional interpretation.

By the way, I figured out that in my home 12 cases a year equals less than half our intake, so i won't be moving to Nevada anytime soon.

- Bartunek - 05-20-1999

Just a thought. When these neo-prohibitionist issues arise in your state, ask your legislator to provide you with a list of all the newspapers in the state, their address and the editors name. (They all have this info.) Send a letter to each newpaper stating your point of view. Many will publish it in the letters to the editor column and best of all, the politicians will read it or have it brought to their attention by their staff. Makes em' real nervous.

- Jerry D Mead - 05-22-1999

SB428 is one step closer (and only two tiny steps away)from becoming America's precedent-setting personal use wine importation law. It cleared the Assembly late Friday evening on a 40-0-2 (two absent) vote, making it a unanimous passage.

All that's left is a Senate Committee to agree to some small amendments made in the Assembly version and then off to Governor Guinn for his signature.

It ain't over til it's over, but it's looking really good. I'll let everyone know when it's time to send letters urging to Guv to do the right thing.

JDM