WineBoard
Wedding Menu - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Wedding Menu (/thread-290.html)

Pages: 1 2

- engaged - 09-14-2001

Getting married in a few weeks and would really really appreciate your help. For I am, at best, a wine novice. At best.

Our 170 guests have a choice between the following:

Black Pepper Crusted Tenderloin
Roasted Whole and Sliced
Served with Seasonal Melange of Vegetables
Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Roasted Shallot Demi

or

Grilled Atlantic Salmon
Served with Seasonal Melange of Vegetables
Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Lemon Chive Butter

The proprietor who is providing the wine suggests a Merlot and a Sauvignon Blanc.

A good friend whom I trust with this decision suggests a Cab Sauv for the Beef ("because it is weightier") and a Pinot Noir for the salmon ("because Salmon is a 'strong' fish").

What do you think, and why? Please help!

- Innkeeper - 09-14-2001

Hi Engaged, and welcome to the Wine Board. Your friend has the right idea, and that is what I would do under normal circumstances. However, at a wedding, having two reds on the table could be confusing. Therefore suggest a slightly off dry riesling to go with the salmon. This would also provide a red and a white for people who choose to drink wine before the meal.

- Thomas - 09-14-2001

Also, that black encrusted beef dish worries me--generally, Cabernet Sauvignon doesn't stand up well to overly "hot" spicing. If it is indeed black encrusted, I would consider a Shiraz/Syrah, or maybe a quite fruity Pinot Noir.

- Innkeeper - 09-14-2001

Foodie makes a good point. Don't know your price points, but you can get excellent Australian Shiraz' (with wide appeal) and an appropriate American Riesling at the $10.00 point.

- Drew - 09-14-2001

I agree with the shiraz. What are your price points on the wines from the caterer?

Drew

- engaged - 09-14-2001

Thanks for the quick replies. Regarding price points, here are the wines that have been quoted to me:

CAB SAUVS:
1999 Stonehendge - $223 / case
1999 Guenoc - $170
1998 Beaulieu - $156
1999 Chateau Souverian - $191
1999 Hess Select - $155.76
1998 J. Lohr - $155.76

MERLOT
1998 Murphy Goode - $192
1998 Franciscan - $203

SAUV BLANC
1999 Iron Horse Cuvee "R" Fume Blanc - $184
2000 Frogs Leap - $175
1999 Babcock Eleven Oaks - $210

As far as price is concerned, $200 a case really adds up quick, so I'd like to stay in the $150-$175 range.

- engaged - 09-14-2001

Also, I've tasted the beef tenderloin. It's not really spicy at all. The black pepper definitely minimal... not sure why the chef calls it "crusted".

- RAD - 09-14-2001

I like the 1999 Hess Select for the cab and the 2000 Frog's Leap for the sauvignon blanc. The merlots are from off years for CA (1998).

RAD

- Innkeeper - 09-15-2001

Rosemount Estate Shiraz and Hogue Cellars Johannisberg Riesling, Columbia Valley; will meet your price points and do nicely.

- winoweenie - 09-15-2001

I agree wholeheartedly with Rad. IK, did I miss the Rosemont and Hogue on the list from the caterer? WW

- Innkeeper - 09-15-2001

Methinks he was not only giving what was available, but his price points if he had to go outside. Since the pepper issue has been reduced, the Hess would be fine with the beef. Still can't see a sauvignon with the salmon, and really thinks a riesling would be a far better match, and a better pre-dinner quaff.

- cpurvis - 09-16-2001

engaged, just want to 'second the motion' IK made re: the Hogue Cellars Johannisberg Riesling. It will likely satisfy the majority of those who want white wine before/during the meal. This wine sells for $6-7 in stores, so even w/ caterer markup it should be within your price range. cp

- Bucko - 09-16-2001

Some caterers are not flexible -- they have a set wine list and will not deviate. If that is so, I'd go with the Hess or Guenoc Cab and the Frogs Leap SB.

- engaged - 09-17-2001

Thanks for the suggestions; keep them coming if relevant.

My caterer is actually quite good, in that they allow us to purchase any wine we want. And they have an arrangement with a local distributor (I'm sure they get a kickback), that allows us to return any unopened bottles.

- engaged - 09-24-2001

Okay, for the beef, I'm going to go with the Cab Sauv. The 1999 Hess Select per your suggestions! Thanks.

For the Grilled Salmon: Spoke with my wine guy. His exact response was that a Riesling could definitely work, so long as it is dry enough. However, he is very concerned about the amount of sugar(sweetness?) in some Rieslings. Why, I don't know.

He highly recommends the Hogue Cellars, and was very honest that the Hogue is very good for an inexpensive price. However, with this particular meal, he would pair them together(due to the sugar content).

He recommends a 1999 or 2000 Greenwood Ridge Riesling. $120 a case.

Do you think this would do? Basically, if I can get contributors on this board and the wine guy to agree, then I figure I'd do well enough.

Four weeks to the wedding!!

- Innkeeper - 09-24-2001

As fate would have it, we had a bottle of the Greenwood Ridge Riesling tonight with lobster rolls, corn, and cherry tomatoes vinaigrette. As usual it was wonderful.

The bad news is that is 1.5% residual sugar. By most people's account this is sweet. Don't know the RS of the Hogue. If it is lower would go with it.

- lolly mackenzie - 09-26-2001

Being the wine rookie that I am - can one of you experienced wine guys/ gals tell me why a Chardonnay would not be suggested as a white with the salmon dish? I thought that salmon and chardonnay were a classic match? Is it because it is a grilled salmon versus a baked salmon dish? Learn me somthin' pleeze.

- Innkeeper - 09-26-2001

The thing I like least about planked salmon is the part that's been in contact with the wood. So why would one like chardonnay with salmon?

- Thomas - 09-26-2001

Most Chardonnays are too flabby to stand up to the strength of fatty salmon, and those Chardonnays that are not flabby often either are too lean or too tropical fruit-like for the taste of salmon. Don't know about Chardonnay and salmon ever being considered a classic pairing, but that is the last wine I think of when I think salmon--Riesling for smoked salmon; Pinot Noir for grilled salmon; Sauvignon Blanc for poached salmon. Come to think of it, Chardonnay is almost the last wine I ever think of these days.

- lolly mackenzie - 09-28-2001

Explain 'flabby' please.