WineBoard
The Prohibition Party!? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine and Politics (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: The Prohibition Party!? (/thread-2886.html)

- quijote - 11-11-2004

I've been reading John Dos Passos' _The Big Money_, and that got me to digging around for info on the Era of Prohibition.... I discovered that there is (still) a National Prohibition Party (www.prohibition.org). Anyone know if this is a small group of people, or if this has a significant following (for a third party)? It's probably more visible in the South?

[This message has been edited by quijote (edited 11-11-2004).]

- hotwine - 11-11-2004

"It's probably more visible in the South?"

You mean among fly-over people? Not in these parts.

- Thomas - 11-11-2004

I read about this party a few months ago; they have about seven or nine members--but growing...

- wondersofwine - 11-12-2004

They're throwing a party? I guess it will be BYOB--bring your own booze. (Just joking)

- quijote - 11-13-2004

WOW--More like "Bring Your Own Wagon"!

- Thomas - 11-13-2004

With that group it's a come-as-you-are party so BYOB fits: Bring Your Own Bozo!

- wineguruchgo - 11-14-2004

It'll never happen here. It's the only thing that keeps us warm in Chicago. Besides the country would really go bankrupt if they took away that tax base!

Could you imagine if everyone in the country stopped drinking and stopped smoking for a month?

Bedlam I tell you ~ bedlam!

- Thomas - 11-14-2004

You got it right. One of the things that went right UP upon Repeal was government tax revenue--and you know govt. when it comes to revenue, not to mention spending...

- hotwine - 11-14-2004

I think that's the very reason we'll never see tobacco products declared to be contraband and outlawed.... all the states tax the sale of tobacco products, and they would simply lose too much revenue. So this way, local politicians can beat their drums about declaring smoke-free public places.... while not jeopardizing the tax base.

[This message has been edited by hotwine (edited 11-14-2004).]

- wineguruchgo - 11-14-2004

I always laugh when the politicians say that when they raise taxes on tobacco and people quit that they are saving lives.

Who are they kidding? They want people to smoke!

Chicago is in financial trouble which really irritates me because the Mayor, whom I like, just spent a ton of money to replace the street lights. Nothing wrong with the old ones mind you, they just weren't "pretty".

What is he doing? Raising the tax on cigarettes is one of them. What do I do? Buy them in the suburbs.

Take that Mr. Mayor.

Ps - while I'm there I buy my gasoline there too! hehe!

[This message has been edited by wineguruchgo (edited 11-14-2004).]

- PinotEnvy - 11-15-2004

Guru is reminding me of my days living in Duluth on the Wisconsin border. The taxes on alcohol were/are significantly higher in Minnesota, so we would get in the car, drive over the bridge into Wisconson and stop at the store at the bottom of the bridge to stock up.

- Thomas - 11-15-2004

You see, you are all coming around to my anarchic thinking [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/eek.gif[/img]

It is always about the money!

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-15-2004).]

- PinotEnvy - 11-15-2004

People will gravitate to the less expensive option. In my case, there was also the issue of the antiquated Sunday prohibition laws as well. I could legally buy on Sunday in Wisconsin, but not Minnesota. Why these laws are still on the books, I can not explain. If it is legal to buy a shirt (or most any other legal product) on Sunday, why should alcohol be any differant? I mean how could a then college kid be expected to properly watch football on Sunday without a cold beer?

- quijote - 11-15-2004

In Wisconsin, however, alcohol may not be sold in stores after 9pm; one must purchase drinks at a bar, club, or restaurant after that hour. From what I understand, this law was passed in order to protect the corner bars and other nocturnal establishments.

- PinotEnvy - 11-15-2004

When was that law passed? In my college days, we were able to buy later than that in Superior. Or was it the fact that the store was both on and off sale and therefore was allowed?

- quijote - 11-15-2004

I'm not quite sure when that law came into effect, but sure enough, at 9pm the liquor stores close up and turn into pumpkins. Not very convenient if you're having a party or a late dinner and run out of juice.

- dananne - 11-15-2004

Duluth-Superior. I know that bridge well. I don't think I've ever driven on 53 without fishing rods sticking out the window.