WineBoard
Wines and Cheeses - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Wines and Cheeses (/thread-287.html)

- Justme - 12-01-2002

Hi Folks..I am a novice at matching wines/food. I am hosting a tasting of my favorite whites - all for the novice: Sauvignon Blanc, Pinio Gris, Pinio Grigio, Champagne. What cheeses match best with each?

- wondersofwine - 12-02-2002

Bleu cheese or goat cheese go nicely with Sauvignon Blanc. Perhaps a Romano or Asiago cheese with Pinot Grigio. I'll encourage others to make their suggestions as well.

- Innkeeper - 12-02-2002

Hi Me, and welcome to the Wine Board. First of all, you only have three wines there. Pinot gris and Pinot Grigio are the same. If you want to stay with whites, you may want to replace one with a riesling.

With the sauvigon blanc try Crottin de Chavignol (France), Appenzeller (Swiss), Cabrie (France), or Caephilly (Wales).

With riesling try Livarot (France), Maytag Blue, or Boorenkaas (Holland).

With the Champagne the only answer is Brie.

With the pinot g try Fontina or Port du Salut, other semi-soft cheese.

- joeyz6 - 12-02-2002

I second the crottin de chavignol suggestion. That is some good stuff (I'll be having some tonight, in fact).

- Justme - 12-02-2002

Hmmmm...thanks for the replies, suggestions, and the nice tip on the Pinios. I have a lot of learning to do...

I love Fontina and Port du Salut...but did not know what to match them to. I will definitely try the Crottin de Chavignol..can't wait!

Thank you Wondersofwine, Joeyz6, and Innkeeper. I will surely have more questions soon.

- Justme - 12-02-2002

Oops another question regarding same topic. Would a chardonay fit with the other whites being served...instead of the riesling?

- Innkeeper - 12-02-2002

Sure and match it with a smoked mozzarella.

- Thomas - 12-03-2002

I agree, completely, with Innkeeper's cheese and wine assesments. But I have one comment to make about the Pinot Grigio/Pinot Gris subject.

It is the same grape (likely different clones of same grape) but it does not produce the same wine. In northern Italy, Pinot Grigio does not have the kind of spicy-apple-like quality that Alsatian Pinot Gris has, and its American counterpart runs the range from spicy (Oregon) to lean (just about everywhere else in the US, with a few exceptions in California). So, an Italian Pinot Grigio and an Alsatian or Oregonian Pinot Gris will likely be different, and likely pair with different cheeses. I have never had cheese with an Alsatian Pinot Gris but I suspect it would be best to go with a big, fatty, soft one.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 12-03-2002).]

- Justme - 12-03-2002

Thank you...my guest will appreciate your suggestions.

I've only tried Oregon State Pinot Gris - and, and find it does taste different the the Pinot Grigios I've had. Lighter!