WineBoard
Tasting notes from Triangle Uncorked - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Events & Festivals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Tasting notes from Triangle Uncorked (/thread-2679.html)

- wondersofwine - 10-12-2005

Last Saturday was an event in Regency Park, Cary, NC to benefit Frankie Lemmon School and Raleigh Rotary Club. About 6 or 7 different distributors had about 300 wines for tasting ($25 fee in advance, $30 the day of). Carabbas Italian Grill offered free plates of chicken marsala and another vendor gave out strawberries dipped in dark chocolate.

Hard to take notes standing up, moving about, and not wanting to get in the way of the rest of the crowd, so my notes are quite sparse.

2003 Dopff & Irion Gewurztraminer (Alsace)
nice one for the vintage and showed some spice; small producer

2002 Chateau Plince Pomerol--preferred this over the 2002 Chateau Siaurac Lalande de Pomerol, Baronne Guichard from the same distributor.

2003 Waterbrook Sauvignon Blanc, Columbia Valley, WA
Waterbrook was one we didn't get to in Washington on the offline. Light body, but nice flavor. Good food wine. 13.5% alcohol

2004 Waterbrook Columbia Valley Melange (40% Merlot, 32% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Cabernet Franc, 9% Sangiovese, 8% Syrah)
13.8% alcohol This was tasty.

I also lfound the 2004 Waterbrook Columbia Valley Merlot at 13.2% alcohol to be a nice wine.

2004 Nobili Icon Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand
13% alcohol
Not at all vegetal. Bright high note of faint citrus. Good food wine with fish or chicken. Clear upgrade in quality over the standard Nobili S.B.

2004 Nobili Icon Pinot Noir, Marlborough
13.5% alcohol Dark cherries with a bit of spice. This and the Crossings are better than some other N.Z. Pinots I've tried.

2001 Lange Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, OR
(Note: Dan of Dananne was the one who led me to Lange). 13.9% alcohol Medium body, long finish. Cherry predominates but doesn't taste candied. I probably brought home the 2002 vintage--will check tonight.

2002 Dutton Estate Syrah, Russian River Valley, CA (Sonoma)
14.2% alcohol Elegant with a medium to long finish.

2003 Valle Escondido Guggenheim Winery Malbec 13% alcohol quite dry; could be a decent steak wine

2003 BV Coastal Estates Private Cellars Chardonnay (inexpensive line)
13.5% alcohol not woody available at Harris-Teeter grocery store; may buy a bottle

2003 David Bruce Pinot Noir, Sonoma County
14.4% alcohol smooth tasting; would be good with roast pork or barbeque or maybe a strong bleu cheese

Didn't record the vintage on an Alexander Valley Vineyards Syrah and I can't read my notes on it (tipsy or juggling the wine glass and the notebook?)

2002 Elke Donnely Creek Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley, CA
Pale garnet color with clarity. Nice. Again it was difficult to read my notes--thought at first it said Pomely Creek--so I verified spelling with a Google search and found it on a lengthy wine list for Xavier Restaurant Group (Hudson Valley, New York). The Elke Donnely Creek was more expensive than Steele Carneros, Etude or Hangtime Pinot Noir (but not as much as the Ponzi Reserve, Martinelli or Beaux Freres).

2003 Dierberg Pinot Noir, Santa Maria Valley, Santa Barbara County CA (according to the website--has also been a source of grapes for Fess Parker wines) But I believe the distributor said the vineyard was in the Santa Rita Hills--may have been off a bit.
14.8% alcohol (getting high for a Pinot)
The vintner's third vintage. Tastes quite elegant despite the alcohol percentage.

Brian McGuigan's Personal Reserve Tawny Port
No notes but I liked this Aussie wine well enough to order a bottle for later pickup. Nonvintage. One website has for $30. Offered at one restaurant in New Hampshire for $8.50 by the glass. Will give more detailed note after I taste it at home.

I ordered only one other bottle from the many I sampled and I dont' remember which one that was. Will find out when the retailer calls to say they are ready for pickup.

Nice event and the rain held off during the full time I was there but rained before as I was arriving.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 10-12-2005).]