WineBoard
Tasting Pinot in its variations - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Events & Festivals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Tasting Pinot in its variations (/thread-2635.html)

- wondersofwine - 09-14-2010

After a summer break, the Fayetteville Wine Society met at Luigi's party room to sample Pinot Meunier, Pinot Gris, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Auxerrois, and Pinot Noir. We had plates of cheeses and Italian meats, a Caesar salad, and later went through a hot food buffet for veal scallopini with mushrooms, broccoli, and pasta verde. All this for $35.

PIERRE JOUET GRAND BRUT NV CHAMPAGNE, FRANCE
Company founded in 1811 in Epernay and exported to America as early as mid 19th century. Historically this houses uses more Pinot Meunier in its blend than other houses--up to 40%. I sensed pear, yeast, a bit of toast and almost a ginger spice. Very dry tasting. Bubbles dissipated quickly.

2009 PONZI PINOT GRIS, WILLAMETTE VALLEY, OREGON
Pioneers in the Willamette Valley wine industry using mostly biodynamic grapes. Hand-farmed. (I met Dick and Nancy Ponzi at a wine dinner in Durham. There three daughters now run operations with Louisa as winemaker.) I really liked this Pinot Gris, much more than than I did an earlier vintage at that wine dinner in Durham. Leggy on glass. Very aromatic with high notes and delicacy. Good mouthfeel. Hint of juniper and something between unripe pear and lemon juice.

2009 LAWSON'S DRY HILL PINOT GRIS, MARLBOROUGH, NEW ZEALAND
Along with the Ponzi, my favorite of four Pinot Gris/Pinot Grigio. Pure tasting but a touch simple. We were served in flights of two but I wanted to compare the Ponzi to the later Pinot Gris wines so asked for an extra glass. Going back to the Ponzi after this one waa not good. Not that the New Zealand wine was better, but the sequence didn't work well--like having a white wine after a big red.

2009 LIVIO FELLUGA PINOT GRIGIO COLLIO, FRIULI, ITALY
Some of Italy's best Pinot Grigios come from Alto Adige and Friuli. The presenter said this was bone dry but to me both the Ponzi and Lawson's seemed drier. He suggested pairing this with steamed mussels.

2009 LUCIEN ALBRECHT PINOT GRIS CUVEE ROMANUS, ALSACE, FRANCE
The family has a background in wine since the 16th century. This was pleasant but not as distinctive as the next wine. It was quite food friendly with both the broccoli and the pasta verde.

2009 ZIND HUMBRECHT PINOT D'ALSACE, FRANCE
A blend of Pinot Blanc and Pinot Auxerrois. Family involved with grapes since 1600's but formed the present company in 1959. Considered one of the world's great wine producers. This wine had lots of minerality and shocked me on the first sip. At least a couple people at my table definitely disliked it. Another did like it. I was a bit undecided but thought it was easier to swallow after the first few sips.

(I will continue with four Pinot Noirs later. We are getting new office furniture and they will be disconnecting the computers today, so I may not be able to post until Thursday or even next week.)

- hotwine - 09-14-2010

We've had the 2008 Livio Felluga PG the last two nights with broiled and sliced chicken on a bed of angelhair pasta with EVOO, lemon juice and fresh garlic cloves, with florets of brocolli and diced butternut squash. Very nice indeed. Would also work wonderfully with white fish with garlic, lemon & pasta.