WineBoard
Wines for Thanksgiving meal - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Events & Festivals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Wines for Thanksgiving meal (/thread-2594.html)

- wondersofwine - 11-17-2009

Last night was the Fayetteville Wine Society meeting where we enjoy turkey and trimmings and try different wine pairings with the meal. We had roast turkey, spicy stuffing, mashed sweet potato, corn with bell pepper and onion bits, and cranberry in a gelatin form.

First flight was two white wines.
2009 PETER LEHMANN "LAYERS" WHITE BLEND, ADELAIDE, AUSTRALIA
Second vintage of this wine. Blend of semillion, muscat, gewurztraminer, chardonnay and pinot gris grapes from Adelaide (and Barossa?) The 2008 had 1% residual sugar. 2009 has residual sugar at 10.6g/liter (I don't know how this translates into percentages.) Rated 91 points in "Wine Spectator."
Quite refreshing. Aromatic. I mistakenly thought it contained Sauvignon Blanc but the Gewurztraminer and Muscat probably contributed to the aromas. I haven't had this side-by-side with Caymus Conundrum but think I would prefer the Layers as slightly crisper, less sweet. It is recommended for drinking while it is young and fresh. It is a white blend I would consider purchasing although I didn't order any at the meeting.

2007 S.A. PRUM "BLUE SLATE" RIESLING, MOSEL
KABINETT Winemaker is Raimund Prum.
Sulphur nose? or petrol? Dissipates a bit with aeration and swirling. Minerals from the blue slate soil seem evident in the wine. Nice but doesn't excite me. In general I think Riesling can be a good accompaniment to roast turkey and green bean casserole, but usually I opt for Gewurztraminer instead as my Thanksgiving white.

Final white was poured on its own.
2008 K. VINTNER ARCHIE DEN HOED VINEYARD VIOGNIER, YAKIMA VALLEY, WA
Initially too chilled. Some floral aromatics as the chill wore off. At my end of the table we generally found it uninspiring and a little flat.

Served on its own the first red wine:
2006 CHATEAU DE RAOUSSET CHIROUBLES AOC BEAUJOLAIS, FRANCE 13% alcohol
Pretty deep rose color. At first I thought it looked darker than most Beaujolais but it's been a while since I've opened one and maybe my memory is off.
Cherry and floral scents (made me think of cherry-flavored suckers). Nice with the turkey and cranberry although I think I have had some Beaujolais Cru in the past that paired even better. I liked it better than did the others at my end of the table and ordered two bottles at about $18 a bottle.

Next a flight of two reds:
2007 SCOTT HARVEY BARBERA, AMADOR COUNTY, CA
A big hit at our end of the table. Drinking smoothly with restrained tannins and a lot of fruitiness. Silky red berries and some red plum too. Paired well with the spicy stuffing. The finish did linger and catch me with a bit of a "whoa--where is that coming from?" I ordered three bottles and plan to take some of this and the Chiroubles to a communal Thanksgiving dinner (along with a couple white wines.)

2007 K. VINTNERS "MILLBRANDT" SYRAH, WAHLUKE SLOPE, WA
Named after Millbrandt brothers who were farmers. Grapes are from Sundance and Pheasant Vineyards, about two miles apart but producing quite different style grapes. Dark crimson color; almost opaque. Some spice. Blueberries? A little big for the turkey although not too oaky or tannic.
One presenter commented that he would not want to go any bigger (bolder) with a wine for a turkey-centered meal.

We finished the meal with a Normandy cider.
DUCHE DE LONGUEVILLE CIDER, NON VINTAGE, NORMANDY
About 2% alcohol. Naturally fermented. Off dry. Bronze-gold color; transparent. Nice and smelling and tasting of apples but not something I normally would serve. The military officer to my right said his wife would enjoy it. Presenter suggested having as an aperitif, with bleu cheese or with fruit desserts. Maybe a good idea for serving in the home with teenagers since it is very low in alcoholic content.

- TheEngineer - 11-17-2009

Interesting tha tSA Prum would also pick the Blue Slate label. Did Dr Loosen not already create a wine labelled Blue Slate?

- wondersofwine - 11-18-2009

Not sure about that Engineer.