WineBoard
Delayed Posting on Bordeaux, Brunello and Barolo Tasting - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Events & Festivals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Delayed Posting on Bordeaux, Brunello and Barolo Tasting (/thread-2521.html)

- wondersofwine - 11-30-2004

This tasting was sponsored by Carolina Wine Company back in September. My notes are sketchy but I did assign numerical ratings to the wines so that I could vote for favorite of the flight, etc.

Flight 1 (Bordeaux)
1. 2000 Chateau Tourans "Terre Blanche" St. Emilion $29.99/$24.99 by the case
Dark plummy fruit; lingers some on the finish. I gave 82.5 at this tasting but purchased some earlier because I liked it and think it will only get better.

2. 2000 Chateau Vieux Maillet, Pomerol $44.99/$39.99 Viscous; nose of plums and dark cherries; good color; rated high on overall quality and finish. Described in the notes as a small, artisanal Pomerol that had been a favorite in several tastings. Gave it 92.5 making it my favorite of the flight and second choice of the night.

3. 2000 Chateau Behere, Pauillac $34.99/$27.99 (a "cru artisan" from vineyards surrounded by those of Lafite-Rothschild and Pichon-Lalande. Has gained popularity in Great Britain). I had earlier purchased two bottles after a tasting and have since purchased additional bottles. I didn't think it showed as well at this tasting. The nose was muted and it may have been in a closed state or not decanted sufficiently.

Flight 2 (Brunello)
4. 1999 Banfi Brunello di Montalcino $49.99
Viscous, good color, muted aroma, rated 82.5 which may be low. (A Wine Spectator 94) I have a bottle of the 1997 Banfi which was a ripe vintage. This is said to be a more classic vintage.

5. 1997 Antinori Brunello "Pian della Vigna" $89.99
Prefered the nose and flavors of this over the Banfi Brunello. Deep purple-red color, paling a bit at the rim. Balanced and fruity. Medium to long finish. Rated between 87 and 90 as my favorite in the flight of Brunellos.

6. 1995 Valdicava Brunello "Madonna del Piano" Riserva $99.99
Got a funky nose on this one; tasted a bit nondescript; too young to judge? Somewhat tannic and drying. The most expensive in the flight and my least favorite. IMHO overpriced. Maybe as a Riserva it is going to take a long time to come together.

Flight 3 (Piedmontese)
7. 1999 Giacosa Barolo "Rocche di Faletto" $99.99 I remember liking this better than a Gaja Barolo at another tasting. This time a different Gaja Barolo came out ahead.
Not too dense in texture. Clear in glass. Failed to impress at this tasting (but then I don't know how to judge a young Barolo).

8. 1998 Gaja Barolo "Contesia" $169.99
My favorite of this flight with only a slight edge over the more expensive #9, a Barbaresco. This was viscous, nice nose and taste, chewy, fruity, pleasing. However for the price, I only rated this in the low 80's so either Barolos aren't my thing, or I can't judge them this young.

9. 1999 Gaja Barbaresco "Sori San Lorenzo" $299.99 (blends in some Barbera)
Liked the nose better than the taste. Somewhat puckery from tannins. Rated in low 80's just below the previous Barolo.

Flight 4 (mixed0
10. 2001 Sette Ponti "Oreno" $59.99
Dark purple red. On this one I like the taste better than the nose (the reverse of the previous Barbaresco). 50% Sangiovese, 25% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Sauvignon Super Tuscan. 14% alcohol by volume. Absolutely mouthfilling with bittersweet dark cherry flavor and high tannins. Nevertheless, I rated this below the next two wines.

11. 2001 Pierre Usseglio Chateauneuf-du-Pape "Mon Aieul" $99.99/$79.99 by the case
I had tried this at one other tasting and concluded that it had enormous potential, lots of material to work with. Somewhat dense and viscous. This night I gave it high marks in both nose and taste. Good blend of fruits, well structured, still a bit tannic although drinkable now. Great potential. My wine of the flight and scored about the same as the Antinori Brunello from Flight 2 (87-90 points)

3. 2000 Chateau Pavie, St. Emilion $299.99
Very dark, very dense. Nose of black fruits, currants, boysenberry. Lots of mouth presence. This is where the numerical scoring gets screwy. This was my favorite wine of the night but because I took off slightly for color and clarity (too dark and dense to be what I think of as typical Bordeaux) and took off a bit on the nose, it came out fourth in my numerical scores. Nevertheless, if money were unlimited, I would buy this, the Chateau Vieux Maillet, the Pierre Usseglio CdP and possibly the Antinori Brunello. (And I actually have bought all three Bordeaux in the first flight) and other Brunellos.