WineBoard
Learn more aboout the wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Learn more aboout the wines (/thread-249.html)

- acbshow - 03-14-2002

My husband and I would like to learn more about the softer,smoother, sweeter,tasting wines. Like the dinner wines and after dinner,and relaxing wines.

- winoweenie - 03-14-2002

Hi abcshow and welcome to the board. I think the learning vehicle of choice for all on the board is the book " Wine for Dummies". WW

- acbshow - 03-15-2002

WW are you trying to tell me that I am a dummy. Just bedcause we want to learn about the diffrent wines. Everybody has to learn about them so what makes us so diffrent. But I guess you have to a higher class in order to have or begin the wine collections.

- wondersofwine - 03-15-2002

You misinterpreted WW's intent. "Wine for Dummies" is a basic book with a lot of good content in straightforward terms. I have been enjoying wines since the late '60's and
at the recommendation of some on the Wine Board I went out and bought "Wine for Dummies" at a Barnes & Noble bookstore. I still refer back to it for some info.

- acbshow - 03-15-2002

Thank You for that bit of advice from you, I am goign to go out today and try this book on for size and see how well it will work for us.My husband is building us a wine sellar and we are wanting to collect the one s from several years back and up to date wines also.
Any suggestions on goo past years old wines to collect.
acbshow

- Thomas - 03-15-2002

wow ww, there are people out there who think like I do; I always said I would not buy a book the title of which calls me names--like dummy!

- wondersofwine - 03-15-2002

As for wines to collect, I will check some of my wine books at home over the weekend because I don't have the best vintages locked into my brain. If you prefer sweet wines you might want to collect Sauternes or Sudiraut or Barsac from France and Auslese, Beerenauslese or Eisweins from Germany and Austria. All tend to be expensive in varying degrees because grape pickers and winemakers have to be selective to get the ripest grapes for special dessert wines.
I believe '95 and '96 were considered good years in Bordeaux (now we're getting into dry wines) and the 2000 Bordeaux are probably going to be quite good in years to come. Right now they are available as futures, meaning you put in your order and pay for them months before they are released. '99 is a good year in Burgundy with the wines showing a lot of fruit and less harshness. I understand that '90 was an exceptional year in Burgundy but I don't know if those wines would be found in today's marketplace. Probably already in someone's cellar. '97 apparently was a good year for California cabernet sauvignons ('98 a more tricky year).
However, I found the 1998 Sequoia Grove Cabernet Sauvignon to my liking partly because it was a softer, smoother wine than usual for that area. It may not age well, but is pleasing to drink now.

- winoweenie - 03-15-2002

I sould have been more explicit Abcshow. I certainly would never insult someone who is trying to learn more about wine. When you get into the buying end of the wines, feel free to E-mail me your space, and what you want to spend and I can help you with specific wines from Calif and Bordeaux as those are my areas of some knowledge. WW

- wondersofwine - 03-25-2002

If abcshow is still following the board, here are some vintages that Oz Clarke's Encyclopedia of Wine recommends (published in 1999 so doesn't cover vintages for the last three years but I know 1999 was a good vintage in Burgundy and I think 2000 was considered good in Bordeaux)

Bordeaux: '96, '95, '90, '89
('96 better in St.-Julien and Pauillac
regions than in St.-Emilion or Pomerol)
Barsac, Sauternes: '97, '90, '89

Burgundy, Reds: '99, '96, '90 (some years
Beaune region does better than Nuits-St.-
George region and vice versa; a
knowledgeable wine dealer can help there;
1999 is said to be a very good vintage in
both regions)
Beaujolais Crus: '99, '98, '96, '95
Burgundy, Whites: '99, '97, '95, '92

Italy:
Barolos: '98, '97, '96, '90, '89
Chianti Classico: '97, '95, '90
Brunello di Montalcino and Vino Nobile di
Montepulciano: '98, '97, '95, '90
Recioto della Valpolicella, Ripasso della
Valpolicella, and Amarone della
Valpolicella: '97, '95, '90

Germany, sweet wines (Auslese, Beerenauslese,
Trockenbeerenauslese): '
Mosel Region: '97, '95, '94, '93, '90
Rhine or Rhein Region: '97, '94, '90, '89

USA
Napa Cabernet Sauvignon: '97, '94, '91
Sonoma Chardonnay: '95, '94, '91
Carneros Pinot Noir: '98, '94, '91
Oregon Pinot Noir: '94, '92, '90
Washington State Cabernet Sauvignon: '98,
'96, '94, '92
(no mention of zinfandels, Central Coast,
merlots, Sonoma cabernet, etc.)

Australia:
Barossa shiraz: '98, '96, '94
Coonawarra cabernet sauvignon: '98, '91,
'90

Hope this helps with the collecting. And do go to WW for more specifics on California reds or Bordeaux wines.