WineBoard
Wine Dinners at Tribeca Grill - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Events & Festivals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Wine Dinners at Tribeca Grill (/thread-2448.html)

- myriad - 12-27-2000

Tribeca Grill Wine Dinner Series

January 29, 2001
Classic Napa Valley Cabernets vs. Napa's Cult Cabernets

California has enjoyed a string of very successful vintages in the 1990's. We will compare some of Napa Valley's most revered Cabernet producers with their newer, cult counterparts. These rare cult wines regularly fetch auctions prices ranging from $300-$600 per bottle. All of the wines will be from the great 1996 vintage, just beginning it's peak of drinkability.

Classic Cabernets will include Caymus, Silver Oak, Chateau Montelena, Beringer Private Reserve, Mondavi Reserve and Dominus. Cult Cabernets will include Bryant Family, Araujo Eisele Vineyard, Dalla Valle, Jones Family, Del Dotto, and Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cepages (became a cult wine when the Wine Spectator named the 1996 the wine of the year). Chef Don Pintabona will create a delicious five-course meal to pair with these fine wines. 6:30 p.m. at Tribeca Grill $325 per person inclusive of tax & service.

February 26, 2001
Zinfandel's Best Producers - Turley, Martinelli, Ridge and Ravenswood. A comparative tasting & Dinner

Zinfandel, an all American varietal is a favorite here at Tribeca Grill. We have over 40 on our list, and we attend the annual ZAP (Zinfandel Advocates & Producers) tasting in San Francisco each year to seek out the newest and best zinfandels on the market. This tasting will include what we believe are the best Zinfandels being produced in California. Our latest pick will also be added blind to the tasting to see if you agree it is the next new superstar.

Wines will include the rare single vineyard Turley Zins including Black Sears 1998, Hayne 1998, and Tofanelli 1997. Martinelli Zinfandels from the Guiseppi and Louisa Vineyard, Jackass Vineyard, and Jackass Hill from the 1998 vintage. Ridge Lytton Springs 1998, Geyserville 1997, and Pagani Ranch 1997. Ravenswood Zinfandels will include 3 of the 1998 single vineyards; Old Hill, Monte Rosso, and Big River. And a surprise wine will be included, along with a five-course meal prepared by Chef Don Pintabona, focusing on the best fresh products available from our local purveyors.
6:30 p.m. at Tribeca Grill $235 per person inclusive of tax & service.

March 26, 2001
Chateauneuf du Pape and Gigondas - The Great 1998 Vintage The World's Best Wine Values?
1998 is the best vintage in the Southern Rhone villages of Chateauneuf du Pape and Gigondas since 1990. Although these wines will age for many years, they are lush and delicious upon release, which is why we believe that dollar for dollar, there is no better value on the market right now than wine from the Southern Rhone. We will try many of the great Chaneauneuf du Pape producers including Chateau Beaucastel, Vieux Telegraphe, Vieux Donjon, Mont Olivet Cuvee Papet, Chateau La Nerthe and Clos des Papes. Gigondas will include Vins de Vienne, Saint Cosme Valbelle, and Brusset Les Hauts de Montmirail. We will begin the dinner with the rare White Chateauneuf du Pape from Chateau Beaucastel. All of the wines will be paired with a five-course meal prepared by Chef Don Pintabona.

6:30 p.m. at Tribeca Grill $235 per person inclusive of tax & service.

All dinners will be limited to 30 people

- myriad - 12-27-2000

Tribeca Grill is located at 375 Greenwich Street in New York City and can be reached by phone at 212.941.3900

- RAD - 12-27-2000

Now this, my friends, has BUSINESS DINNER written all over it! Fortunately, said establishment is right across the street from my workplace, and I frequently have biz lunches there. Thanks for the info, myriad. If I do attend, I'll surely post my findings.

RAD

- RAD - 02-25-2001

Well friends, it’s been nearly a month since I attended this event, and let me say that it was nothing short of spectacular. I’d promised to post my notes, so here goes.

First, in honor of IK’s mouth-watering food descriptions, let me give the menu (wines served with each course in parentheses).

Hors d’oeuvres (champagne, don’t know what kind): mouillette of quail eggs with osetra caviar; cold-water lobster and mint spring rolls; venison carpaccio on herb cracker with arugula mayonnaise (my fav!); potato, wild mushroom, and goat cheese turnover (a close second).

First course (Caymus, Silver Oak, Jones Family, tasted blind): sautéed foie gras with polenta gratin and cabernet-marinated figs.

Second course (Beringer Private Reserve, Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cépages): wild squab breast with forest mushroom and celery root galette, potato chervil sauce.

Third course (Mondavi Reserve, Chateau Montelena, Araujo Eisele): Roasted lamb loin with cauliflower mousse, cepes, and black truffle sauce.

Fourth course (Dominus, Dalla Valle, Bryant Family): selection of international cheeses.

So let the games begin! As the only quasi-real “wine guy” at our table, I took as many notes as possible between all the eating and conversation. After trying all the wines, I ranked them one through eleven—a task that was actually quite easy. My notes, in their original form, follow—obviously, they aren’t incredibly precise, and tended to become more general as the night wore on! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

#1: Bryant Family (WS 100)—The Ultimate Value (here I was thinking of WW’s quote of Curmy, “if a $100 bottle of wine tastes like $200, then it’s a bargain”). Layer upon layer upon layer of flavors. Puccini's "Nessun Dorma" in a glass. Superripe, lots of blackberry, finish goes on for minutes. 2 glasses.

#2: Araujo Eisele (WS 94)--Too many superlatives to list. Superripe and dark, nose of cedar and cassis, with coffee/toffee nuances on the palate. Long, long finish. 2 glasses.

#3: Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cépages (WS 95)--Superripe, somewhat alcoholic and raisiny nose, with some stewed prune notes; very deep, rich, chocolaty, with cedar and cassis, an extravaganza; firm tannins, nice length on the finish. 2 glasses.

#4: Dominus (WS 92)--Outstanding, wonderful cassis aromas, tight and focused, with a jammy raspberry component. Alcohol 14.1%.

#5: Dalla Valle (WS 95)--This is the standard Napa bottling, not the Maya. Pronounced nose of violets and blackberries, with coffee/toffee notes. Sharp, focused, and intense.

#6: Silver Oak Alexander Valley (WS 88)--This one tasted blind with two others with the hors d'oeuvres at the beginning (I incorrectly guessed Caymus). Currant and cedar on the nose, silky tannins, with leathery notes on the finish. Complex and evolving, with some vanilla and oak. Best of the three blind tastings.

#7: Jones Family (WS 93)--Chocolate, mushroom, terroir--an "old world" nose. Cherry and tar on the palate, and a long, spicy finish. #2 of 3 in the first blind tasting.

#8: Caymus (WS 90)--Closed, quite muted nose. Typical cabernet. Focused fruit, a bit tart, and a decent finish. Opened up quite nicely after 30 minutes or so. #3 of 3 in the opening blind tasting.

#9: Chateau Montelena (WS 92)--Very pronounced cherry nose, and quite grapey on the palate, with some oak noticeable. The most fruity of lot, but lacking the complexity of the others. Cherry, cherry, cherry. Still, quite nice.

#10: Mondavi Reserve (WS 95)--Classic cab nose, deep and dense black fruits, and a touch of alcohol. Still, very nice.

#11: Beringer Private Reserve (WS no rating)--Sharp and focused nose, with typical cabernet aromas of cassis and cedar. Decent berry fruit, and middleweight tannins. So-so.

--RAD

[This message has been edited by RAD (edited 02-25-2001).]