WineBoard
Pinehurst Wine Festival - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Events & Festivals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Pinehurst Wine Festival (/thread-2445.html)

- tandkvd - 08-28-2003

Will be attending the Pinehurst Wine Festival this weekend.

I should have more wine to talk about next week instead of politics.

- Innkeeper - 08-29-2003

Sounds great!

- wondersofwine - 08-29-2003

I attended the last two years but went to MoCool this year instead. Take advantage of some of the educational seminars. They can be really great. And the food is OUTSTANDING at this event.

- tandkvd - 08-29-2003

Thanks for the info WOW. We will be attending the following seminars: Wineglass, Sparkling wine and Wine and Cheese of the Carolinas. There is also a luncheon, Culinary Demonstration and wine tasting.

- tandkvd - 08-31-2003

Wow, what a day we had yesterday.

First off we got there a little late and missed the wine glass seminar. I over heard some people talking about it and I wished we could have attened, but giving the ammount of wine we drank from 11:00-3:00 it's probaly a good thing. They were tasting wines in different glasses.
The wine glasses were half price at the festival, so I did order a couple glasses at $15.00 for two. Can't remember the name, I'll post on them when they come.

The sparkling wine class was by Bernard DeLile (I think that's the correct spelling) from Biltmore Estates. He is from France and was hard to understand.
We had glasses of pure ferminted sparkling Chardonnay. He had us experiment with adding sugar and brandy to get the wine to taste better.
We then sampled two of Biltmore's Sparkling Wines. Both were labled Blanc de Blanc, one had a white lable and one had a black lable.
The black lable was made from NC grapes, was darker in color and dry. The white lable was made from California grapes and was less dry. He said that the California grapes were more ascidic than the NC grapes and they added more sugar to them.

WOW, you were right about the food. It was great.
The luncheon was a Taste of Tuscany. The Menu:
Olive Cured Tenderloin of Beef "Carpaccio"
Chanterelle Mushroom, Leak & Vidalia Onion Salad
White Truffle Oil
Hand Rolled Basil Grisini Stick

Paired with Rocca delle Macie, Chianti Classico Riserva
Definatly the best wine of the day, smokey and smooth. Sangiovese 90%, Cab. 5%, Merlot 5%. They pored me three glasses of this. The first two were small pourings, but I lucked out on the third, the pourer was at the end of the bottle and emptied it into my glass, which was about twice the other servings. Does any one know the price of this wine. I will be looking for it if I can afford it.

The next dish was:
Baked Sea Bass "Mille Feuille"
Roma Tomato, Braised Spinach & Telaggio Layers
Fresh Fennel Cream
Roast Garlic Polenta Cake

Paired with Rocca delle Macie, Vernaccia di San Gimignano
I looked this up on there website but it was in Italian. Apairantly, Vernaccia di San Gimignano is the viratial. Can some one help me with this. It was a dry SW, but was very good with the Sea Bass.

Dessert:
Almond Pignoli Tart
Roman Sour Cherry Sauce
Mascarpone Ice Cream

Paired with Rocca delle Macie, Grappa by Ribizzo
I couldn't find this on there website. Wow, powerfull stuff, a little dab will do ya. HIGH alcohol content. I over heard some one say it tasted like raisens, thats a posibility. It did have a sweet taste once you got passed the alcohol. but it did go well with the sweet/tartness of the sour cherrys.

My wife was laughing at me now. I was feeling perty good by now. And next was the Wine & Cheese Seminar.

North Carolina Wine & Cheese Seminar:

The wines we tasted were all from very young vines. I could definatly tell the difference in the taste. They tended to be lighter and less complex. But I believe that the wines will be much improved in a few years.

Rockhouse Vineyards 2002 Vionier, Hadley's Field
I don't have any experiance with Vionier. It was a good wine with some spicyness.

Paired with Goat Lady Dairy, Crottin. We were told that Crottin means Horse dropping. It is a very mild creamy/buttery cheese. (more on this one in a minute)

Hanover Park Vineyards 2001 Mourvedre
Like the one above I don't have a reference point to go by. It was a light wine probaly due to young vines.

Paired with Goat Lady Dairy, Chevre Taleggio.
I've seen where you all have described wines with an ASS smell. Well this is the cheese version. I tasted it but couldn't get pased the smell.

RayLen Vineyards, 2002 Carolinius
A mixture of Cab. Sauvignon, Cab. Franc, Merlot & Syrah. This is one to look for soon. A much bigger wine than the Mourvedre.

Paired with Chapel Hill Creamery, Calavander
This is a very good cheese, that would go with a lot of red wines.

Hanover Park Vineyards, 2002 Early Twilight
A very good Scuppernong wine. Not as sweet as the Duplin.

He had us pair all three cheeses with this wine.
If you want a real treat, try the Hanover Park Vineyards, 2002 Early Twilight with the Goat Lady Dairy, Crottin. I could have that as a dessert.

They also gave us a glass of Rag Apple Lassie, Chardinay. I'm just not a fan of Chardinay, and this one didn't help.

Then we went to the culinary demonstration by Ron De Santis. He is one of only 59 Certified Master Chefs by the American Culinary Federation. He prepaired 5 dishes for us, and we were able to sample them.

IK, he gave us the recipies but there was no wine sugestions. I did'nt see where you could edit the recipies on the website for the cook book. I can e-mail these to you and you can add the wine sugestions. Or if you know how to edit the recipes on the website let me know and I'll put them on the website and you can add the wines.

We only bought the one day pass to the Festival. It was $100.00 per couple or $60.00 per person. I would love to go to the full five day event. It's around $500.00 per person. It was well worth the money! Even My wife said she would like to go to more wine festivals, and visit some of the NC wineries. We passed by two wineries on the way home but they were not open today.
It's about a 2 hour drive from our house. We choose to drive over in the morning. So we got up early in the morning after being up late to go to our daughters high school football game, where she does the flags and rifles for the band. And we were very tired after the culinary demo, and didn't stay for the wine tasting.

[This message has been edited by tandkvd (edited 08-31-2003).]

[This message has been edited by tandkvd (edited 08-31-2003).]

- wondersofwine - 09-02-2003

tandkvd,
I know just enough about Italian labels to hazard a belief that Vernaccia is the varietal and San Gimignano is the town. Italian labels sometimes state grape (Pinot Grigio)sometimes region (Chianti)and sometimes a combination such as Vernaccia di San Gimignano. Roberto or Foodie should straight this out if I have it wrong. Soave is the name of a wine and also means sweet or gentle; Marsala is the name of a commune (place name) and also the name of the wine vinified there. It gets confusing.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 09-02-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 09-02-2003

WOW is correct Vernaccia di San Gimignano is a DOCG for vernaccia grapes grown in San Gimignano.