WineBoard
How do you know your palates changed..when you have to.. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: How do you know your palates changed..when you have to.. (/thread-22994.html)

How do you know your palates changed..when you have to.. - TheEngineer - 10-21-2014

How do you know your palates changed..when you have to change the allocation of racking space in your cellar.

This is the second major re-racking of my cellar since I started on this wine journey. First time was in my old house when a cellar that looked like it was from all over the world (and it was) started to resemble some major regions and I had to start organizing geographically versus by varietal.

This time I started to need more space for an increasing Champagne, Burgundy, italian and California to a reducing Bordeaux, Germany, Spanish, Rhone.

I'm not sure if this is temporary or not, but I've but last week was the first week I bought a case of bordeaux in three years... and I still love Germans but my Spanish and Rhone is dwindling and I can't afford to replace them...I mean I love Unico but when you can buy 4-12 bottles of insanely good barolos for the same price.....

I hate my burgundy increase because I love the wines so much but the prices are so insanely high nowadays. Barolo's from the 2010 are great wines that start at $30-$40 and $80 will buy a great bottle..and for treats even the Ornellaia seems like a steal versus Unico.... I think I've purchased more Italians from the '04, '07 and '10 vintage than anything else right now ....and trusty Napa/Sonoma....2012 will be great.

Looking back at this explanation, I'm not sure that the palate change is the driver here. It looks more like budget.... anyone else going through this?

RE: How do you know your palates changed..when you have to.. - winoweenie - 10-22-2014

Been there...Done that 20 times in me existence. Some times it were funds other times it were tongue. Jes' lay back, float in the water and see whenced the tide takes you. WW

RE: How do you know your palates changed..when you have to.. - Jackie - 10-27-2014

I would love to see your wine cellars ---both of them. Wow.

Jackie

RE: How do you know your palates changed..when you have to.. - winoweenie - 10-28-2014

Maybe I haven't been as clear as I should have, but my cellar is down to 2 60 bottle wine containers. Thot I'd posted that the majority of my cellar went to auction on Wine Bid.com. I compliment their handling of the auction, their maximizing my bottles, and also their prompt payment methods. Not really as satisfying looking at those 2 lil' dinky thingies as going in and selecting from a buncha' stuff. WW

RE: How do you know your palates changed..when you have to.. - Jackie - 10-31-2014

That's sad WW. Still enough to wet your whistle though... I bet they are still pretty nice wines. Also glad that the auction went well for you.

Hugs,
Jackie

RE: How do you know your palates changed..when you have to.. - TheEngineer - 11-01-2014

Jackie,

Your welcome at any time. Just show up. Some of my friends who have deeper cellars have one complaint about my cellars. I tend to buy wines on release so most (85%) of my wines are post 2000 where as they would prefer if I had bought on auction and then had 85% of my wines before 2000. While I see their point, part of the fun is that I bought these on release and I know where they've been since. I trust my cellaring more than someones I don't know of.

RE: How do you know your palates changed..when you have to.. - winoweenie - 11-03-2014

Well done grass-hopper! I think I've bought 2 bottles at auction in all and those were Charity Auctions. WW